Hog killing, would you consider this unethical?

Hammack

I know this is a little :offtopic: -- but I have read so many post on here about farmers loosing money - just check out this link if you think they are loosing money.
http://farm.ewg.org/farm/region.php?fips=13000 Then click on "pick a county" you want to look at then "top recipients" -- just think of almost any farmer you can think of - they are prolly in there.
Do you think the government would step in and help the ones that don't farm out if they didn't make there "quotas" for the yr.?
Don't get me wrong - some of my closest friends and family members are some of the biggest farmers in the county that I live in - and there names are listed in the top ten on this data base - and you gotta do what you gotta do - but don't take any more poor mouthing from a farmer about loosing money!

You are right on the subsidies to a point, but i tend to see if from a different outlook since my business depends directly on farms. What you aren't taking into consideration is the fact that the Gov't DOES NOT allow farms to run on a free market like most business do. They keep there hands in every aspect of it. If they had stayed out of it and let supply and demand take over then there would be no need for the payments in the first place since farms would have been able to sell at a profit or adapt accordingly like most businesses. Just because they are getting paid subsidies for a disaster etc... doesn't mean they are making a fortune. What you see as far as those payments go, and what their NET income is will be dramatically different. The Gov't IS helping a great deal of us who don't farm by making these payments to the farmers. When you have entire areas where an economy is totally dependent on the farms (which there are several of throughout the state) those payments keep businesses going when otherwise they couldn't if that money was not had to put back into the economy.

This thread has gone round and round and will never end. :banginghe All goes back to what one person feels is ethical the next one won't. There are too many factors involved as to why someone feels something is right or wrong, and the only certainty is that we will continue to disagree. Whether it be hogs, or something else.......

CAL

You are right on the subsidies to a point, but i tend to see if from a different outlook since my business depends directly on farms. What you aren't taking into consideration is the fact that the Gov't DOES NOT allow farms to run on a free market like most business do. They keep there hands in every aspect of it. If they had stayed out of it and let supply and demand take over then there would be no need for the payments in the first place since farms would have been able to sell at a profit or adapt accordingly like most businesses. Just because they are getting paid subsidies for a disaster etc... doesn't mean they are making a fortune. What you see as far as those payments go, and what their NET income is will be dramatically different. The Gov't IS helping a great deal of us who don't farm by making these payments to the farmers. When you have entire areas where an economy is totally dependent on the farms (which there are several of throughout the state) those payments keep businesses going when otherwise they couldn't if that money was not had to put back into the economy.

This thread has gone round and round and will never end. :banginghe All goes back to what one person feels is ethical the next one won't. There are too many factors involved as to why someone feels something is right or wrong, and the only certainty is that we will continue to disagree. Whether it be hogs, or something else.......

A very good post!Thanks for making it,few will agree as few will understand!

Fishman

yep --- Jody
the guy who was hunting on my land drove around for hours trying to find someone to process it for him --he was from Fla and wasnt ready to handle a 160 hog . I told him to throw that thing in the ditch , cuz nobody will handle 'em around here right now . I told him to shoot every stinkin one of 'em he saw .

If he couldn't quarter up a 160 pound hog and put it in the cooler with ice he doesn't need to be hunting.

CAL

No such thing as an "unethical way to kill a wild hog"!Kill um any way ya can,how ever ya can and as many as ya can.Now,that's ethical!!!

Jestaholic

Wow.....glad I never started a thread stating I leave all the crows I kill to rot.

Besides...Im married...I eat crow all the time!

woody10

i to will shoot a hog or yote at will and have one or two hogs processed and as for the rest if nobody wants them , off on the two path with deer guts they go... plus i aint eatin no 300+ pound boar hog the meat is spoiled what would yall recommend doin with that ?

Luke0927

i have eaten them and also thrown them out....they destroy the land and they are hard to give away so if i shoot one and need the meat i will keep it if not its gone.

RPD#99

everwho said you can't eat one has not had one! i shot my 1st one this week and had him cut into all kinds of cuts. he is some good eating!

if you dont want to eat em find someone who will take em. just dont shoot them and waste them and contribute to the coyote problem!

watashot89

personally I would either eat it or give it away. but I do respect the fact that they are destorying someones property and the owner of the land should be able to do as they please as them.

gadeerwoman

I hate to see any wanton waste of meat. But I have to say that some big uncut boars are inedible. The first 2 I ever shot were made into sausage and chops. The 3rd was left lying where he fell. The 2nd one I had processed was not edible...entirely too rank no matter how you tried to cook it. The 3rd one that I left in the woods smelled to high heaven when you walked up on him so we didn't even haul him out. A young hog makes some mightly tasty eating but an big old uncut male can make some of the worse meat you ever tried to choke down. I would never leave any animal lying on the side of the road however. At least they should have drug it into the woods.