Hog killing, would you consider this unethical?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Leaving my club the other morning I saw where someone had killed a pretty good size boar feral hog and just threw him out at the dead end of our dirt road. I got there right after they dumped him out. This brings me to my question, suppose someone has feral hogs, wants them off their land but doesn't care for the meat, lets say for instance they are worried about disease associated with feral hogs. Would you consider just shooting them and leaving them unethical? I was raised that you either eat or give away to someone who will eat, whatever you kill. :huh:

To a certain point. Hogs are also pest, same as yotes. I think if you live in a State like we do in GA, getting rid of the hogs should not be a problem. Theres alot of hog hunters out there that eat them. To me, thats a waste when you have that type of resource to remove them.

short stop

yep --- Jody
the guy who was hunting on my land drove around for hours trying to find someone to process it for him --he was from Fla and wasnt ready to handle a 160 hog . I told him to throw that thing in the ditch , cuz nobody will handle 'em around here right now . I told him to shoot every stinkin one of 'em he saw .

bluemarlin

I have no problem dumping them.
I have no idea what yote tastes like but I do like hog.
I can see the logistics handling of 3-4 dead hogs in august.
I feel secure in saying there ain't a town in Ga that has a section of town where a free hog won't be dragged out of your truck by folk in their church clothes w/ many thanks.
Conditions change for dealing with a hog.
One condition that will not change will be a shortage of folks willing to dish out shame for something. Shame is taught(or not) by your parents, not a bunch of highbrow hunters and lawmakers.

Well said.

hawglips

Banned
I have no idea what yote tastes like but I do like hog.

If yote tastes like dog, then it's pretty good, if the chef knows what to do with it. Had some in a Korean restaurant in North China once. It was mighty fine eating.

GMARK

Hogs

This is the type of information I was looking for tonight.

I just got back from our club on the Ogeechee River in South GA. Towards twilight I had 18 hogs come within 15 feet of my tree stand. 5 were bigger and 13 of them were babies. I have never hunted or helped field dress a hog so I just watched them root around for a few minutes.

I have never shot an animal just to kill it. But after reflecting on the experience, I will probably shoot next time and try to give away the meat.

Thanks for the info guys. As always, Woody's has proved to be a big help!

PGVET

Banned
I am one of those willing hunters who loves to hunt, kill & eat hogs. Whoever proclaimed 10 point Bucks to be the dominant animal in GA anyway? I would take one hog over 10 bony deer any day. Like several have mentioned, when you advertise you have hog problems & wish you could get rid of them, & people offer to kill them, & you then tell them NO, Just Shut UP as Mike & Mike would say. There are too many of us who will abide by your rules for hunting on your land. I recently had the opportunity to work in an area loaded with hogs. The overseer told us to kill all the hogs we wanted, but not to kill any deer. I think we might have gotten 3 hogs, should have had several more & seen some big bucks, that never were even looked at twice. How many wall hangers do you need any way. A big Boar Hog makes a better looking mount than any stupid deer any day.
Someone asked about Public land. I went on the Adult Child hunt at ocmulgee WMA. I didn't see a hog, but my nephew did. He missed. It looks like bulldozers have been through there. I have never seen so many hog signs in my 10 years of hunting that WMA. I am planning a trip back this weekend to try to get me one, while you real hunters are sitting there watching some dumb deer listen at you blow a pipe at him or rattle some horns, or even eat your illegal corn.
If you aren't going to eat it, don't kill it. If a farmer can't stand the heat they need to get out of farming. If it wasn't hogs, they would be crying about the Mexicans importing peanuts, so the crop damage argument is just an excuse IMO. It is no different than what I do, when it gets too tough, I will quit & do something else, and I am about to do that, because the fuel expense has gotten away from us.
Hogs are in no way a Varmint. Do we have farmers who raise yotes or Bobcats to eat? Why don't we just kill every snake we see, because we are scared it may bite us? Pretty soon, no snakes to eat the rats. Hogs have there place, whether it is in the woods, the freezer, or hanging on the wall, but not lying dead in a ditch for all to see. That is plain stupid. If you don't have the decency to harvest what GOD gave us, & use it wisely, then don't partake of it, leave it alone for someone else.
I am ready to work on your hog problem. Just PM with directions. I have 4 empty freezers right now.

I hunt in twiggs county, right on the ogmullgee river and our land is infested with hogs. We used to just throw them in the ditch for the buzzards if we diddnt want them processed but now we have a few phone numbers of some locals that will gladly come and pick them up anytime. I dont care what you do with yours but i would rather help a hungry family than a hungry buzzard any day. All you have to do is stop by one of the local gas stations or hangouts and ask around. One time we went in to town after the morning hunt and while we were picking up a few things at the store, an older black man came up and asked if we ever killed any hogs and what we did with them and we ended up getting his number. One evening we killed about 6 or 7 hogs and decided to call the man from the store, he showed up in an old beat up 72 chevy with two of his teenage grandsons and when they all piled out of the truck, all you could see were big smiles as they looked at the pile of hogs ready for them to load. The man thanked us about 10 times and said that he could feed his whole family thru the winter.:)

Randy

Some animlas like hogs are "pests" and should be shot just to get rid of them. I can name a few more that I consider "pests" that would really tick some of you off.

BillandLaura

Would not consider killing them unethical, but the carcasses can cause quite a smell. What about "Hunters for the Hungry" They'll take the meat, put it to godd use, and you get rid of the varmint with a clear conscience.

PGVET

Banned
I guess those almighty white tails cause no crop damage? I guess those permits farmers get thru the summer are just for imaginary deer eating up their crops. I shoot deer just to get them off of my property. I leave them so the coyotes have something to eat without having to chase it down. I know they get tired of eating all the CROW some of you are writing.
IF you waste hogs just to get rid of them, then you are a waste to humanity and should be dealt with just like the hogs. You should be shot and just left in a ditch for people to throw beer cans at.

hogdawg

I guess those almighty white tails cause no crop damage? I guess those permits farmers get thru the summer are just for imaginary deer eating up their crops. I shoot deer just to get them off of my property. I leave them so the coyotes have something to eat without having to chase it down. I know they get tired of eating all the CROW some of you are writing.
IF you waste hogs just to get rid of them, then you are a waste to humanity and should be dealt with just like the hogs. You should be shot and just left in a ditch for people to throw beer cans at.

Who said that deer don't cause crop damage? I'm sure in some situations deer can be devistating to a crop, but I've seen hogs do way more damage in my area than deer ever thought about doing. Personally, I've never seen a farmer have to replant a corn field because of deer. Deer also don't destroy the land.

So why the sour outlook on deer hunting? It's obvious that you're trying to get a rise out of people saying that you shoot deer to leave them lay, but if somebody does the same to a hog they are a waste to humanity and should be shot... that just don't make sense.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
'round and 'round we go...again

mudslingerford

on my p-nut farm, i killem and then get em cleaned and give em away to buddies, or trade the meat for a bucket of vegetables, but somebody eats em (mostly me) this is how we are near bay pole

Chickenjohn42

no reason really...I've just never met a farmer who shared your opinion regarding wild hogs...its your opinion and I respect that...
I know a farmer that feels the same way about deer .:huh:

lilburnjoe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sure are a lot of tree huggers on this forum.

I agree, don't leave them for the whole world to see. Leave them where they lay. Mother nature knows how to handle death, especially pigs.

Give them away when you can, but that is not always possible.

By-the-way tree huggers, do you eat rats ? The do in Asia, but that doesn't mean I will.

ignition07

if you dont want them on your land let someone trap them or dog them i am sure there is someone who would do be more than willing to hunt them for you. but the way it usually goes some people cant stand a hog on there property but when you tell them you can help them they tell you no thats allright we just shoot em and leave them. so if you still decide to throw them in a ditch , whatever then, just remember there is someone out there that would gladly take the meat if you offered it to them.
I agree with you. When I hunted with dogs and heard that someone was having a bad problem with hogs, farmers or deer hunters, they most of the time didn't want dogs in there. They would say that they would shoot them before they let any dogs catch them. Too bad hogs move so much at night. As far as wasting the meat, something will eat it. Alot of times, people want the meat, but they don't want to clean it. I usually have plenty of wild hog in the freezer, so I try to always give it away or at least get the back straps and tenderloin.