Hog killing, would you consider this unethical?

Just 1 More

Dumping them in the ditch for all to see is fuel for the ANTI's. I'm not against killing the nasty things, but bury it if nothing else.

Who said anything about leaving them roadside???? :huh: Y'all ever think there might be ditches on the interior? :rolleyes:

Big Al

Drag them to the nearest foodplot. They make good fertilizer for next year. And If everyone had the "if i'm not gonna eat it , I'm not going to kill it"mentality we would be so overpopulated it would not even be funny. Yes I kill crows, armadillos,coyotes, and pigs. They all cause large amounts of damage and do not need to go unchecked. I eat a little bit of pig but nothing else. I give away what I can but people will only take so much. Am I going to pass up a hog when I see a group of them because I can't think of anyone to give it to. No. Does that me make me a murderer in some people's eyes? Probably. Am I going to lose sleep over it? Doubt it.

hogdgz

We kill them any way posiible, gun, dogs, trap, even run them over if we have to. For the city folks who don't really know what a hog does to a farmers crop, then you need to check it out before say something about shooting them and not eating them. When you see 40 to 50 hogs in a field at one time, I consider that a problem. If you have 5 hogs this year you might have 30 hogs next year b/c they bread so quick.

Hammack

We kill them any way posiible, gun, dogs, trap, even run them over if we have to. For the city folks who don't really know what a hog does to a farmers crop, then you need to check it out before say something about shooting them and not eating them. When you see 40 to 50 hogs in a field at one time, I consider that a problem. If you have 5 hogs this year you might have 30 hogs next year b/c they bread so quick.

I agree totally. I think alot of this "Don't shoot it if you're not gonna eat it" stuff wouldn't be around if it was cutting into their pockets. I don't mean a food plot, or hunting lease. I mean your Livelyhood! As far as shooting deer and leave them laying. I have seen that done as well on a year round basis with crop depradation permits. Like I said when your livelyhood is being threatened you will take a different attitude about it. Like I asked before what's more unethical willfully allowing a friend to lose his butt or kill a wild hog that shouldn't be there in the first place and not eat it?

sbrown

Yea, it is wrong to shoot and waste them plain and simple. I am tired of hearing about all the excuses of crop damage and money loss,and yes I grew up in a farming family. I know guys that do it right here at Pine log on Public land where it should be illegal. We look for places to hunt them and even pay for it. I am looking for a place to go right now for some relatives coming in later this month. Why don't these farmers who have so much crop damage from them allow some hunters to help out the problem. I am not talking about even letting them use dogs. Just bowhunters even. Maybe they could even make a few dollars back. I am only 33 but I remember when I was a teen and my uncle took me with him to hunt coons all the time, we did not use the meat ourselves but had not problem getting rid of it, no what I mean.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
ok folks we have had to edit enough of this garbage. if you have issues with another member take it o pm or email and leave it off the open forums

sbrown

I guess I can see both sides a little bit, I just see hogs as a waste since I like to hunt them and cook them. On the other hand I like to bowfish and don't use the carp and gar that we shoot so I guess that is technically wasting them as well. I don't know.....

puredrenalin

Id be more than happy to come hunt hogs, I love pork, domestic or otherwise, Just point me in the right direction and I will bring plenty of arrows and sharp broadheads...Cell phone number on request..LOL!! Myself and my buddy would be more than happy to help!

HOGDOG76

1) THEY ARE NON-NATIVE SO YOU CANNOT COMPARE THEM TO DEERBUT IF YOU INSIST ON IT REALIZE THEY GET SHOT TOO UNDER CROP PERMITS.

2) PROPERTY OF THE LANDOWNER AND THEIR RIGHT TO DO AS THEY PLEASE WITH THEIR PROPERTY.

3) MOST FARMERS DO NOT PUT OUT OPEN INVITATIONS ON THEIR LAND B/C THEY DO NOT WANT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE RUNNING AROUND THEIR LAND. MANY OF THEM LEASE THE FARMING RIGHTS AND ARE NOT THE LANDOWNER AND DO NOT HAVE HUNTING RIGHTS.ALSO YOU WILL NEVER BE AS EFFICIENT AS THOSE RUNNING DOGS.EVEN WE ARE BEING REPLACED SOMETIMES BY SNIPERS WITH THERMAL IMAGING EQUIPMENT.

4) ON PUBLIC LAND THEY ARE A GAME ANIMAL AND SHOULD BE TREATED ACCORDINGLY IMO.

LIKE I TELL EVERYBODY AT WORK " IM ALWAYS RIGHT AND YOUR LIFE WILL BE MUCH EASIER WHEN YOU REALIZE THAT":bounce::bounce:

sghoghunter

I guess I look at my hobby as a business venture.I am alwayes looking for new places to hunt hogs.I have got five places that want them gone and dont care how they are gone.Around here some farmers tell you that you will not have any problem with the neighbors but they are the ones that dont want you on their land no matter what.Farmers whine about the hogs being on their land but if ya ask they say they are not that bad yet.If you have one hog on your land that is one to many.It is also easier to catch one hog than it is to catch a bunch.Oh jack I am alwayes right!

ronmac13

if anyone around richmond doesnt mind i wouldnt mind going out to someons place to shoot a couple with my bow.

Just 1 More

if anyone around richmond doesnt mind i wouldnt mind going out to someons place to shoot a couple with my bow.

If only it was that easy.. hogs move around a lot.. it's not like we pass them up.. most people kill every one they get a chance at.. but hogs get smart fast and become nocternal. Heavy baiting, traps and dogs are really the only ways to rid yourself of them,, but they'll be back once the pressure is off.

sghoghunter

If only it was that easy.. hogs move around a lot.. it's not like we pass them up.. most people kill every one they get a chance at.. but hogs get smart fast and become nocternal. Heavy baiting, traps and dogs are really the only ways to rid yourself of them,, but they'll be back once the pressure is off.
Well ya got it right,pressure is what it takes and they will come back but ya gotta get on em again.

Hammack

I think hogdog made a good point. One thing alot of people neglect is that most farmers rent most of there farm land now days, and to give you an idea they pay as much as 5-10 times per acre to farm that most do for hunting rights. So they couldn't let you come in and hunt without the permission of the owner who probably has already leased out the hunting rights as well. So it's not as easy as inviting hunters to come shoot.

Fishman

Killing Hogs

Killing an animal that is commonly considered edible and leaving it lay is unethical period. I've lived in South and Middle Ga and would never have a problem giving away hogs. It may not even be legal to kill them and not retreive them. Having a deprevation permit may be the only time it would be "legal"(still unethical) to let them lay.