Opinions on thermal imaging

thermal imaging=effective extermination
but I feel that it is NOT hunting:banginghe
thats my opnion and opnions are like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ every one has one :bounce:thats all Im trying to get across YOU ARE READIN|G WAY TO MUCH INTO THIS FIREFIGHTER!:crazy:

Todd E

You think it is not...............

I think it is.....................
Hunting is the practice of pursuing animals for food, recreation, trade or for their resources. In modern use, the term refers to regulated and legal hunting, as distinguished from poaching, which is the killing, trapping or capture of animals contrary to law. ...

------>EOD<--------

BTW, why bring sarcasim into the discussion?
Never mind, I declared EOD. Most threads like this
have a common denominator as to their origination............

_ _ _ _ !!!!

Last edited:

firefighterfree

From my line of work. Puchasing everything you need for thermal imaging is very expensive. Not only will you need a thermal imaging scope but a camera as well. This thermal imaging is not for everyone but if you have the extra cash why not do it. I will not be hunting with thermal imaging because of sheer price too rich and pricey for my blood.

ejs1980

I do think thermal imaging is an effective extermination method to eradicate hawgs ... but I do not consider it hunting. and EJS1980 dont muddy the water by bringing specific names into this. Stick to the topic. opnions on thermal imaging not individuals!!!

I removed the name as not to offend anyone though I think the one I named wouldn't mind the comment. I thought we were talking about one person. I just hope by keeping it generic we don't offend all the other people that own and hunt hogs with thermal imaging technology. Maybe I should remove the comment about the magazine article because it list his name and company there. Call it what you want to. One guide ,couple hunters,and hogs being shot with rifles.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm not talking a trap to catch single hogs.We built a catch pen. got 20 at a time like that once.They are gonna eat the bait regardless.

It won't work a 2000 ac. lease. You can't catch all the neighbors hogs either!

GAX

Hunt however you like, as long as you are within the laws of your state.

Does not matter the tools used, it is hunting. People still miss the shots offered, hunt upwind and move at the wrong time.
Whatever challenge floats your boat.

Agree..

sghoghunter

On my hunting lease we are way past the point of hogs being a sport. we've set up feeders and check each one early morning when it's just light enough to see. we get a few, but if i had the chance to use a rifle with thermal scope I'd jump on it. Man! i hate hogs.
Next full moon i'm gonna sit in a stand after dark with a shotgun loaded with buck shot.
Rhbama have yall ever had anyone with dogs to help out yalls problem?

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
sghoghunter,
I would love to hoggers with dogs wearing it out. Unfortunately, landowner has said absolutely no dog hunting of any sort and no varmint trapping. I'd love to get you guys in there but it looks like I'm stuck trying to shoot the dadgum things. we've killed about 10 since turkey season but they are getting smart again. If the club members would just shoot them when they see them in Deer season it would help alot. however, nobody will shoot them if they think it'll mess up their deer hunt.

sghoghunter

Thats the problem with most of the real good places.One day you will have so many hogs that they will run the deer off.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
we're there, dude. Food plots destroyed, fewer deer and turkey.

FireMedic380

"Hawg Rooter" how about lay off firefighter for bringing up a name when you do the same thing geographically (That means specifying the town in Alabama adjacent to the man's location) Don't ask for opinions or start a thread you KNOW will bring out peoples opinions just so you can disagree with them.

firefighterusa

"Hawg Rooter" how about lay off firefighter for bringing up a name when you do the same thing geographically (That means specifying the town in Alabama adjacent to the man's location) Don't ask for opinions or start a thread you KNOW will bring out peoples opinions just so you can disagree with them.

thanks firemedic ,i was wondering if i was the only one that could see what was going on here.

fire fighter firemedic and jkoch I have completely removed the second comment that I made on this thread with regards to a completely arbitrary locantion in Alabama. I hope this quells all of your concerns so that their can be an open debate regarding thermal imaging (hunting or extermination)! hope you guys are happy now.

Poad

here is your major problem in a nutshell. old chinese proverb and military tactib is ti divide and conquer.meaning that all the division between pure hunters vs. hog dog junters vs. night light hunters vs. thermal imiging hunter means 1 thing to the anti crowd.it makes no difference to PETA,USHUS or just plain antihunters.if the fight rages between all the various types of hunters all will eventually suffer and will be banned sooner.i hunted before health issues grounded me.a good friend introduced me to dog hunting and i was fortunate enough to harvest 1 with a knife.it was totally awesome.thermal imaging may or may not be a pure hunting method but it is totally legal and i would love a chance to do it.health and cash will probably never allow it though.i just wish everyone would try to be more tolerant of others in pursuit of these warm blooded rotorooters.no matter how you take them please take them.they are destroying too much land,crops and habitat for othere willd game.if the fighting goes on the anti's will move in and it will give them leverage to impact us all. wish i could get out and kill a few because i love to eat em.i support you all no matter how you do it....just do it.

Public Land Prowler

I can not afford one,or do not desire to hunt hogs in such fashion,but that is just me.I prefer conventional hunting.However just because I don't care to do it doesn't mean no one else should be able to.As long as it is legal why does it matter?I do see the appeal of it,and I can see how it would be fun.

Hogs are easy to get during daylight hours if you know how to hunt them,but after enough pressure they can get real smart,and that's when night time hunting and dogs will help alot.The only real advantage to thermal imaging is that it helps you to see them at night when they have come out of the cover.It does nothing special other than that.From watching the videos there is a great deal of shooting skill involved.

Where does it say thermal imaging is legal or not?I think it is something that is over looked in the regs,but I am sure jager has went through DNR and they have ok'd it or he surely wouldn't be putting it out.

ejs1980

It is legal to "hunt" hogs at night. Hunt whether it's sitting over a corn pile waiting for a camera to flash or walking the edge of fields with a light or wearing thermal imaging It's still hunting. Not the kind of hunting I'm into so guess what I'm not going to book a hunt. For the record Hawg Rooter you could book a hunt, wear blue coveralls, take a pump up sprayer to use as a rifle rest and you'd still be hunting. Maybe sou should have done a poll. Your mind is already made up and you seem to be in the minority.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
personally I dont care either way, but I am glad that yall finally decided to debate it this way instead of the bandwagon comments on the member's other threads.

BTW, I can tell you that we have received more complaints from outside folks complaining about the use of dogs in hunting (any type) and our "allowance" of dog hunting threads on the forums than we could ever possibly get for thermal imaging. do yall want that to be the next to go away? cause many many folks would rather you not use a pup to chase a pig.

I guess its that whole divided we fall kinda thing

56willysnut

but I feel that it is NOT hunting :

I believe everyone here knows your opinion.
I just thought this thread would be interesting to see what direction it goes off in. Having come from a state that lets you hunt hogs anyway you want, traps, bait, dynamite, snares, I feel that thermal pajamas, imaging, socks,etc is just another type of hunting that modern technology is allowing us to do. After all it's up to the landowner to allow that type of hunting on HIS land if he decides it is more cost effective(obviously for him) and quicker than older methods.

So I'm not going to condemn another method of hunting, just because someone else likes to do it and is within the "scope" of the law.