Cremation or Burial?

CAL

For now, I have decided that since my body in the home of the Holy Spirit, and since on the day Christ returns the graves are going to open and this old body of mine is to come forth, I'm not going to be cremated when I die.
I'll be buried like Abraham and Jesus were.

I'm with you Ronnie T.I think it is the correct way too.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Why would you want to consider anything other than what God has planned?
I'm not talking of what's proper or improper.
I'm speaking of what God has planned.

I have not seen where God has said, "Thou shalt bury and not cremate."

The bodies walking around after Jesus' death must have been recently deceased. Have you seen a body that have been lying around for a while? Most aren't pretty. If God is able to resurrect a putrefied, worm eaten, rotten body, why can he not as easily resurrect one that has been reduced to ashes?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I have not seen where God has said, "Thou shalt bury and not cremate."

The bodies walking around after Jesus' death must have been recently deceased. Have you seen a body that have been lying around for a while? Most aren't pretty. If God is able to resurrect a putrefied, worm eaten, rotten body, why can he not as easily resurrect one that has been reduced to ashes?

I'm not suggesting that God can't resurrect a body that's been burnt to a crisp and scattered in a local creek.
I'm saying that God never sanctioned or suggested that as a method of disposing of a dead body.

One of the weird things about me is that I'm not lead by the doctrine of "feel free to do it if God didn't specifically command you not to do it".

It was always, always God's insinuation that dead bodies would be buried in the ground.
To not be buried would be a disgrace to you and your family.
I don't seem to find a way to seek my own purposes that lead me aways from the examples left for me.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You should follow where you feel yourself led.

I only see examples of burials in the bible, not sanctions. I have seen the command to burn unclean things, but I feel this command was to protect the people from disease of which they had no knowledge.

coonkilla

the first time it is written in the bible about cremating or burning of a body was in gen.22v.2, when abraham was to take his son for a burnt offering,to show his love and devote to the lord,but the other time it was for punishment for sin, until king saul and his sons were burnt after death, but then buried under a tree in ja'-besh,but you have to think of the time in the bible this is, it is old testement, as born again in christ jesus we fall under new law, not old testement and old law that was for the jews, me though i dont like getting burnt alive so i dont think i will like it after im gone. not sure if this helps but its what i feel::;

Tim L

It would be nice if just burying without a casket would be an option. Not even put in a bag or sack (have buried alot of small dogs and cats in my life), just maybe wrapped in a blankey...

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
It would be nice if just burying without a casket would be an option. Not even put in a bag or sack (have buried alot of small dogs and cats in my life), just maybe wrapped in a blankey...

I've heard that if you are willing to bury someone within 24 hours of their death they aren't required to be embalmed or buried within a box or vault. Burial would have to be on private property though probably.
I've heard or read than someplace.

Last edited:

SOUTHERN WOODS

It's my wish to be buried in a plain box. No need to go to a whole lot of expense. I don't want to be embalmed, wasn't born with that stuff in me. Don't care for a viewing.

I've been to enough funerals in my lifetime and seen enough people die to let me know that I don't want a whole lot of people around me when my time comes, especially family as it's harder on them. Just plant what is left of the shell and go on.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
You mean you don't want to be placed on dispay at the funeral home so your wife and kids can stand in front of your dead body for three sobbing hours while they shake hands and get very very tired?
And then be moved over to the church you use to attend? More crying and sadness. People who never saw you while you were alive will be there.
And then it's off to the cemetary. It's especially nice out there at 2 PM in mid July wearing a black suit.
The elderly have an especially difficult time getting to the burial site.
Then your wife goes home thankful it's all over.

thedeacon

I would like to be "buried at lake" Lake Seminole, on the florida side right in the old river channel.

Is that legal? If not just hook an old tater rake in my jaw and drag me off to a corner of the fence row, out of the way.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I would like to be "buried at lake" Lake Seminole, on the florida side right in the old river channel.

Is that legal? If not just hook an old tater rake in my jaw and drag me off to a corner of the fence row, out of the way.

Hopefully on the back side of that field.... Way back.

SOUTHERN WOODS

You mean you don't want to be placed on dispay at the funeral home so your wife and kids can stand in front of your dead body for three sobbing hours while they shake hands and get very very tired?
And then be moved over to the church you use to attend? More crying and sadness. People who never saw you while you were alive will be there.
And then it's off to the cemetary. It's especially nice out there at 2 PM in mid July wearing a black suit.
The elderly have an especially difficult time getting to the burial site.
Then your wife goes home thankful it's all over.

No wife, no kids, no close family, not many friends, so it doesn't really matter anyway. I just want a plain box, and a burial. No service necessary.

Bama4me

If I understand correctly,from the laws and/or traditions of the Jewish.To be burned is reserved for the unclean.Whether or not it is reserved or expected from Christians,yet remains through study.I will point out,as Christians we are grafted in with the children of Israel.Do their Laws apply to us?
The Ten Commandments do!
As far as those Christians who have been,or will be cremated.They will not go to Hel l,they may lose a reward in Heaven.There is Scripture,several verses concerning the burning of unclean things.It is also a well known fact that funeral pyres were conducted by pagans in history.This will make for a good,and hopefully informative discussion.

According to Ephesians 2:14, Colossians 2:13-14, and Hebrews 8:6-13, Jesus abolished the Law of Moses... including the Ten Commandments. If we're still under obligation to obey the Ten Commandments, we're also under obligation to obey EVERY command in the Law of Moses per Galatians 5:1-4. That includes things such as offering animal sacrifices, tithing, observing the year of jubilee, etc. Today, we don't murder, steal, take God's name in vain, etc. because Christ's law mandates it.

As far as whether cremation violates God's will, no place in the New Testament (Christ's law) speaks to the idea. Thus, I have freedom in the area. If God has the power to raise a body that has turned to dust, He certainly has the power to raise a body that has been turned to ashes.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
According to Ephesians 2:14, Colossians 2:13-14, and Hebrews 8:6-13, Jesus abolished the Law of Moses... including the Ten Commandments. If we're still under obligation to obey the Ten Commandments, we're also under obligation to obey EVERY command in the Law of Moses per Galatians 5:1-4. That includes things such as offering animal sacrifices, tithing, observing the year of jubilee, etc. Today, we don't murder, steal, take God's name in vain, etc. because Christ's law mandates it.

As far as whether cremation violates God's will, no place in the New Testament (Christ's law) speaks to the idea. Thus, I have freedom in the area. If God has the power to raise a body that has turned to dust, He certainly has the power to raise a body that has been turned to ashes.

So, you and I have the freedom to do anything the Bible doesn't tell us we can't do?
Is that what freedom in Christ is? Freedom to not follow the examples of the Bible because you and I have freedom?

Bama4me

So, you and I have the freedom to do anything the Bible doesn't tell us we can't do?
Is that what freedom in Christ is? Freedom to not follow the examples of the Bible because you and I have freedom?

Of course not... Romans 6:1ff clearly indicates freedom isn't to be abused. Any example found in the bible must must be rooted in authority from Christ and/or New Testament Scripture in order to be bound upon those of us living today. If an example lacks that relationship, it isn't applicable to us. An example would be Noah building an ark. Since Christ/New Testament doesn't tell us that we must build arks today to have a relationship with God, that example is not something we must follow.

Regarding what is done with our body, the New Testament doesn't specify how our bodies are to handled after death. As someone else has pointed out within the thread, Old Testament practices found in Moses' law was often because of pagan religious groups (i.e. markings of the skin, certain types of dress, etc.).

IF you want to get specific in this topic, we have just as much authority for cremating a person as we do putting them in the ground in a box... because entombing dead bodies was the primary means of "burial" in the Bible.

mthomas

I personally don't care what happens to my earthly body because I will be in heaven, with a perfect body, praising GOD. I guess if I have to choose it would be to be burried and have a traditional funeral service. The most important reason for a service for me is to share the gospel. How awesome would it be for someone to recieve CHRIST because of your life after death!!!!

Sterlo58

Cremation for so many reasons. Save space, save my family lots of money. You can still have a memorial service that can be inspirational. Funerals only benefit funeral directors. Let's get real.

Coastal Dad

Matt 27:50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and[e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Why would you want to consider anything other than what God has planned?
I'm not talking of what's proper or improper.
I'm speaking of what God has planned.
Were the bodies who came out of the tombs in human form or in ashes?