If Gamecocks beat Jawja...

irishleprechaun

spurrier won't be around forever, what we do now as far as winning consistent while he is here is critical. Winning program gets a lot better pick of replacement coaches, if we don't establish winning with spurriers remaining time, then we will be back in the ditch (ala brad scott).

Spurrier is 66, I see max 4 more years if that....

gin house

spurrier won't be around forever, what we do now as far as winning consistent while he is here is critical. Winning program gets a lot better pick of replacement coaches, if we don't establish winning with spurriers remaining time, then we will be back in the ditch (ala brad scott).

Spurrier is 66, I see max 4 more years if that....

Hey, Look at Joe Paterno:D If spurrier wins good the next few years and i think we can, youre right, USC will look like a much better job than in the past. I like our chances but we will see. I dont think Richt is gone this year even with another bad year. I think they will give him another year after he got the "dream team" this year to see what he does with them.

How long before Richt gets the axe? Does he make it thru the season? It will be interesting to see how many fans stick with him and support Bobo as OC. If we lose to Jawja i think we still support Spurrier to the end.

I think the SC game will be rather indicative of how this season's gonna go. For me, I've already jumped off the Richt wagon and think he should have been axed last year. The difference is that Richt just gave us a terrible 2010 season after 2 years of mediocrity. Spurrier coached the cocks to the SEC championship and lost to the national champs last season. To put it in terms you can easily grasp: we have our Lou Holtz in Athens right now.

Richt doesn't get fired during the season. He can start 0-2 and still run the table. If he beats, UT, UF, Tech he keeps his job.

The part I have underlined, sir, is an impossibility.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
For the life of me I can not make any sense of the perception of Richt when it comes to other teams' fans.

When the "hot seat" talk was extremely premature a lot of them were positive that his days were numbered even though a lot of UGA fans thought that was ridiculous.

Now most UGA fans are out of patience with him and want him gone if we do not have a good season. Yet the same "hot seat" folks are now saying that Richt will be in Athens for a few more years no matter what he does this year.

Just goes to show you that people just like to hear themselves talk and none of it means anything.

MCBUCK

A lot of people on 680 were talking about a split in the USC and MSU games. So if USC beats UGA then I don't think there is fire talk (except for SHD:D). Most people think that even losing that game UGA could be a possible 9 or 10 win team.

UGA needs to worry about BSU first, just like we need to worry about ECU.

First things first.

[/COLOR]

Ive been a gamecocks fan my whole life and i will say ive never heard of one of our coaches gettin on the hot seat for losing to UGA, thats been a pretty common thing for a long time. If spurrier wasnt here we would have been in a dead heat with vanderbilt last season for back of the pack. Usc fans will support Spurrier, hes brought sucess that has never been here. Not trying to vent on ya but its kind of odd when i hear gamecocks fans that act like we've always been a thorn in the side of the top sec teams. JMHO

Spurrier will be the best HC SC has ever had in the end.

Richt doesn't get fired during the season. He can start 0-2 and still run the table. If he beats, UT, UF, Tech he keeps his job.

We really need to at least split the first two games. Losing to SC would sting, but losing to BSU would be feel more like an axe...CMR's focus ( and the teams) right now is beating the Broncos....that starts the fire. Lose that one and we don'teven show against SC. Beat BSU and THEN worry about SC.

Crimson

First things first.

Spurrier will be the best HC SC has ever had in the end.

We really need to at least split the first two games. Losing to SC would sting, but losing to BSU would be feel more like an axe...CMR's focus ( and the teams) right now is beating the Broncos....that starts the fire. Lose that one and we don'teven show against SC. Beat BSU and THEN worry about SC.

I personally think yall will go 10-2. I also think you split the Boise State and SC game.

Not arguing, because I agree with you, but my point was that Richt can go 0-2 and still run the table, but you are probably right, the team may lay down if they go 0-2.

Point being if UGA wins 9 games and beats Florida, UT, Tech and doesn't get blown out, he keeps his job. Whoever brought up the "Dream Team" thing is correct, that buys him another year, maybe.

Isn't he 2-9 against Florida? That is what blows my mind, but hey I'm a Bammer, we don't make no sense.

Good luck this year.

buckmanmike

I'm a UGA fan. We had season tickets for years, but gave them up because of other interest. That said, I believe Richt has to perform this year or his label of "he does the right thing and religious beliefs" will be overcome by the Dawg nation of wanting results. I have no problem with Richt's religious beliefs because I am on his same side with his actions. But I believe the Dawg nation is not shown a huge increase in coaching this season, Richts days are limited. If you look back, UGA has had a top 10 recruiting class for as long as Richt has been there. It is time for results. I hope the "dream Team" can perform to expectations.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I notice that the only people that think the dream team buys him another year are rival fans.

gin house

I notice that the only people that think the dream team buys him another year are rival fans.

Richt bought himself a couple more years with his "dream team" talk and getting the recruits. Not trying to offend anyone but that class was like #5 or #6 in the country, if thats the "dream team" what is the higher ranked classes from the other teams? I think he knew a good class with that talk of a dream team would insure him a couple more years reguardless of outcome. I guess it would be hard to get rid of one of the best SEC coaches as far as stats go, if he got his "dream team" im sure they would see what he can do with them. What do you think buys him another year after a season like that at UGA? He may turn it around.

Les Miles

Banned
Richt bought himself a couple more years with his "dream team" talk and getting the recruits. Not trying to offend anyone but that class was like #5 or #6 in the country, if thats the "dream team" what is the higher ranked classes from the other teams? I think he knew a good class with that talk of a dream team would insure him a couple more years reguardless of outcome. I guess it would be hard to get rid of one of the best SEC coaches as far as stats go, if he got his "dream team" im sure they would see what he can do with them. What do you think buys him another year after a season like that at UGA? He may turn it around.

I don't agree with your reasoning at all. I like Richt but I believe he will be fired if he has a poor start to the season (like last year), loses 4+ games, or loses to GT.
McGarity may seem like a nice guy but I don't think he'll hesitate to pull the trigger if need be. He comes from Florida and is used to winning and getting results. He won't be afraid to make a change in order to make Georgia successful.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor

This is so weird. UGA fans absolutely do not feel this way. You have guys like SHD who can not get rid of Richt fast enough and then you have the rest who want to see him succeed but want him to go if this season is not a lot better than last season.

This stuff about the dream team buying him a couple more years is bizzare. What makes you think that? It is based in nothing but either your opinion or what you've heard other people say. Because UGA fans do not feel that way and from what little Greg McGarity, his boss, has intimated, he does not feel that way.

This recruiting class was some much needed good news after a very disappointing season. We were happy about it. But it's not like we forgot about everything that came before it. YOU GUYS are placing far more importance on that and what it means than we are.

There has been a lot more talk about Richt's future and status with the program over the last few years by fans of other teams than UGA fans. Most UGA fans thought it was silly and premature prior to some time mid way through last season.

Rival fans have talked far more about the dream team by name than we have. We were happy to get those guys and even more this year because none of us excpected to haul in a class that good after such a crappy season. That was the main reason we got excited to any unusual degree if we did.

Rival fans have made much more of it than we have. And the notion that we have crowed and pounded our chests about it is far more legend manufactured by rival fans than than it is anything based in actual reality.

It seems to really get under some people's skin. Nitram in particular seems especially offended by it.

Richt, for all his mistakes, cheezy motivational tactics, and coaching blunders, did not coin the phrase "dream team." Niether did any of us fans.

It was started by Ray Drew and Jay Rome. It was their idea as a way to get some of the other guys on board, to sell it as an opportunity to bring some great in state talent together and try and bring success back to UGA.

What bought Mark Richt one more year at UGA was the fact that he has had more success there than any other coach that we have had since Dooly retired. That and the fact that he fired and reassigned several staff members who weren't getting it done and his new boss was willing to give him a little more time with the revamped staff to see if we improved. Also, he has a new boss and had a clean slate insofar as McGarity was not going to come in and fire him on the spot. Plus, you might have heard that last year was his first losing season as our coach. I think all those factors had more to do with it than a recruiting class.

Can't wait until football season.

brownceluse

This is so weird. UGA fans absolutely do not feel this way. You have guys like SHD who can not get rid of Richt fast enough and then you have the rest who want to see him succeed but want him to go if this season is not a lot better than last season.

This stuff about the dream team buying him a couple more years is bizzare. What makes you think that? It is based in nothing but either your opinion or what you've heard other people say. Because UGA fans do not feel that way and from what little Greg McGarity, his boss, has intimated, he does not feel that way.

This recruiting class was some much needed good news after a very disappointing season. We were happy about it. But it's not like we forgot about everything that came before it. YOU GUYS are placing far more importance on that and what it means than we are.

There has been a lot more talk about Richt's future and status with the program over the last few years by fans of other teams than UGA fans. Most UGA fans thought it was silly and premature prior to some time mid way through last season.

Rival fans have talked far more about the dream team by name than we have. We were happy to get those guys and even more this year because none of us excpected to haul in a class that good after such a crappy season. That was the main reason we got excited to any unusual degree if we did.

Rival fans have made much more of it than we have. And the notion that we have crowed and pounded our chests about it is far more legend manufactured by rival fans than than it is anything based in actual reality.

It seems to really get under some people's skin. Nitram in particular seems especially offended by it.

Richt, for all his mistakes, cheezy motivational tactics, and coaching blunders, did not coin the phrase "dream team." Niether did any of us fans.

It was started by Ray Drew and Jay Rome. It was their idea as a way to get some of the other guys on board, to sell it as an opportunity to bring some great in state talent together and try and bring success back to UGA.

What bought Mark Richt one more year at UGA was the fact that he has had more success there than any other coach that we have had since Dooly retired. That and the fact that he fired and reassigned several staff members who weren't getting it done and his new boss was willing to give him a little more time with the revamped staff to see if we improved. Also, he has a new boss and had a clean slate insofar as McGarity was not going to come in and fire him on the spot. Plus, you might have heard that last year was his first losing season as our coach. I think all those factors had more to do with it than a recruiting class.

Can't wait until football season.

Great post Brad. As you said the aww of the recruiting class was on the heels of the season we just had. Drew and Rome deserve alot of credit, and Lemay for that matter for being UGA's biggest recruiters last year. The three of them helped big time. Drew loves CMR, and if at anytime his values helped in recruiting is with him. I'll be honest though getting Rome from that part of the state was awsome!!!!!! We have been in low in Valdosta for a while!

gin house

You make some very good points. I heard a lot out of uga fans and seems like Richt talked about it a good bit last year. Nothin wrong with it, i just seemed to think it was something to put a little doubt in the higher up in canning him too quick. I know this may not be taken well by most if not all uga fans but Richt is a heck of a coach, his track record proves that. Why is the SEC east allowed to have a down year but Richt doesnt get one? Hes not gonna win them all and bad times come to all coaches. He will win again be it at UGA or not, hes a great coach. I really believe the dream team bit will buy him another year after this one if this is an average season, just a hunch. SGD, Have you ever heard of T.J. Gurley? Hes from cairo, Ga. He comitted last night, I heard of a guy that covers UGA football say he was one of two of the most underated kids in Georgia?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Great post Brad. As you said the aww of the recruiting class was on the heels of the season we just had. Drew and Rome deserve alot of credit, and Lemay for that matter for being UGA's biggest recruiters last year. The three of them helped big time. Drew loves CMR, and if at anytime his values helped in recruiting is with him. I'll be honest though getting Rome from that part of the state was awsome!!!!!! We have been in low in Valdosta for a while!

Well being a South Ga boy I definitely want us to get back to recruiting well down here. There is a world of talent down here and we do well but not quite like we used to do.

Gilliard was the last Valdosta boy we got and I still have hopes that he will do good things. He's been a good special teams guy but I want to see him make an impact at lb.

But we are gonna have a hard time getting the Lowndes kids as long as they have the coach that they have. He is an FSU lover and does not like UGA. He tries to get his guys to go to FSU.

We were a cat's whisker from getting Greg Reed and he stepped in and fixed that. Also, Reed's dad was in prison and he gets a visit from Bowden and Jimbo about two days before Greg committed. Nice huh?

But I digress. Reverand Ray was a great recruiter for us and he seems to be a natural leader. He and Rome had a good idea.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
You make some very good points. I heard a lot out of uga fans and seems like Richt talked about it a good bit last year. Nothin wrong with it, i just seemed to think it was something to put a little doubt in the higher up in canning him too quick. I know this may not be taken well by most if not all uga fans but Richt is a heck of a coach, his track record proves that. Why is the SEC east allowed to have a down year but Richt doesnt get one? Hes not gonna win them all and bad times come to all coaches. He will win again be it at UGA or not, hes a great coach. I really believe the dream team bit will buy him another year after this one if this is an average season, just a hunch. SGD, Have you ever heard of T.J. Gurley? Hes from cairo, Ga. He comitted last night, I heard of a guy that covers UGA football say he was one of two of the most underated kids in Georgia?

The dream team will not save his job if we suck this year.

I have heard a little bit about Gurley. I heard that he was good but just now really starting to come into his own. That's about all I know about him though.

gin house

I don't agree with your reasoning at all. I like Richt but I believe he will be fired if he has a poor start to the season (like last year), loses 4+ games, or loses to GT.
McGarity may seem like a nice guy but I don't think he'll hesitate to pull the trigger if need be. He comes from Florida and is used to winning and getting results. He won't be afraid to make a change in order to make Georgia successful.

We all have our own opinions:bounce: All coaches will have bad years. Who in your opinon based on track records would come in and replace Richt to make Georgia successfull? I cant think of one available that would near equal his records?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well if you look at it in a vacum and as if it was based on last year alone, I agree that it seems like an overreaction. But there is more to it.

Richt's teams have a history of not showing up and losing games that they should not lose. It has happened every year. That is nothing more than a failure to prepare your team or failure to have them mentally ready.

Discipline has long been an issue. While I think the "thUGA" stuff is overblown and silly, it is true that Richt has been too patient with problem children. He admitted that while speaking at a Bulldog Club meeting last night. It doesn't take many guys like Ealy, Dexter Moody, Montez Robinson, to create problems in the locker room. When guys like that are treated with too much sugar and not enough salt, they run amok and it affects the team.

Also, on field discipline was horrible for a long time. One play in particular stands out in my memory. We are plying Florida in 2008. Urban Meyer had run his mouth and talked in the third person about them paying us back for 2007. Well on their first drive, St. Tebow gets picked off by Prince Miller on about their 35, Prince makes a short return and our side of the stadium goes absolutely crazy. But after the throw Jarius Wynn decides to go running up to Tebow and hit him in the head. INT negated, Florida advances with the ball and they go from having the wind kicked out of them to being jacked up and mad about what just happened. They score and start kicking our butts.

Things like that can completely turn the tide of a football game. If Wynn doesn't act like an undisciplined moron and we go down and score. Who knows? Could have been a totally different season with a win that day.

Also, we gave Alabama their first touchdown in 2008. We had them stopped cold twice on that first drive and twice on third down we did something stupid, got flagged, and you know the rest.

That is nothing but a lack of discipline. Richt is the head coach, he gets the blame for letting that happen for so long.

Also, we like what we are hearing about Tereshinski and Thomas Brown's strenght program. But Richt let it get stagnant under Van Halanger and for years, we were weaker and in worse condition than the top teams and if you have comparable talent, strength and conditioning makes a huge difference.

Also, everybody knew Willie Martinez was a terrible DC. But Richt did not fire him until he was forced to.

Richt finds himself where he is now due to all those things. Not just last season. We did not go from being one of the best football teams in the country in 2007 to not being able to beat Central Florida over night. It happened slowly. The program became stagnant and was allowed to go into decline.

All of those things are the reason he is where is now. Hopefully he has made the moves to correct it.

emusmacker

Spurrier only has 1 title at Fla. I think saban could replace Richt and win. Or maybe even Meyer.

South Carolina is turning the corner, but like it's been said before, they're still Carolina. You like stats, Gin, look at the records over the last 10 yrs, where has SC been. yea I know they are split or whatever but last yr was the 1st trip to the sec championship game and they lost. UGA has 2 in the last 10 yrs. and you can say what you want, but if UGa, UF and Ut weren't down last yr, the chicks would have been right next to Kensucky. If not, then in the next 3 yr, USCe should win an sec title. Can they? NO