Finally bought a rod and reel

aa07512

We'll guys, I finally bought a rod and reel. I have never fly fished before but have been wanting to for quite a while. I should have it in a week and I ain't wait to get out and try and break it in. I have a good friend that can give some advice and even ties his own flies so he can help, but do y'all have any helpful just getting started info. I bought a 9' 5 wt rod and reel combo from cabelas. Thanks

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
We'll guys, I finally bought a rod and reel. I have never fly fished before but have been wanting to for quite a while. I should have it in a week and I ain't wait to get out and try and break it in. I have a good friend that can give some advice and even ties his own flies so he can help, but do y'all have any helpful just getting started info. I bought a 9' 5 wt rod and reel combo from cabelas. Thanks

I'm looking to get back into it too, saw where Cabelas had some good deals, just unsure what to buy.

fish hawk

Bass Master
have your friend show you the basics,watch some videos, then get out in the yard and practice, practice,practice.......Or you can always bite the bullet and take a class at Callaway.
I'm looking to get back into it too, saw where Cabelas had some good deals, just unsure what to buy.
A 5 wt would be a good all around choice.

John I. Shore

Congrats, you're gonna love it. Post some pics of your first fish!

John I.

aa07512

Got my rod and reel in wed, tied on some yarn and went out to the yard. I'm sure like every new guy it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I finally started getting the hang of it and could cast maybe 20 to 30 yards but beyond that it got pretty difficult. Still learning how to false cast and shoot the line for mor distance but I know it will come. Hoping to get out this afternoon and try it in some bream and bass.

centerpin fan

Got my rod and reel in wed, tied on some yarn and went out to the yard. I'm sure like every new guy it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I finally started getting the hang of it and could cast maybe 20 to 30 yards but beyond that it got pretty difficult. Still learning how to false cast and shoot the line for mor distance but I know it will come. Hoping to get out this afternoon and try it in some bream and bass.

I'm assuming you mean feet and not yards.

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes beginners make is trying to cast too far too soon. Work on your form, and the distance will come. It's better to cast thirty feet well than fifty feet poorly.

If at all possible, take a lesson. At the very least, buy a good DVD.

kirby999

I'm assuming you mean feet and not yards.

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes beginners make is trying to cast too far too soon. Work on your form, and the distance will come. It's better to cast thirty feet well than fifty feet poorly.

If at all possible, take a lesson. At the very least, buy a good DVD.
X2 . good advice . Kirby

aa07512

Was anle to get to a pond this afternoon and caught three bream but the wind was killing me. It sure was fun and I can't wait to get back out there when it's not so windy..