Fall hunting season?

tonyrittenhouse

fall season

First, I will state: I have hunted in Georgia's fall hunting seasons; when Fall Turkey hunts were legal. I realize too, my personal opinion here; probably don't mean much, or is not what today's run an gun style of turkey hunter cares to hear. A lot of today's modern turkey hunters, the kill is everything; no matter what. Ten, twelve, fifteen a season; what ever his wallet can afford, or is it an addiction to kill.
When you have hunted 59 turkey season, which I have, you may learn that slowing down and smelling-the-roses is what helps make turkey hunting what it should be. Like listening to other wildlife,(before it is scared away), taking in the Flame Azaleas in bloom, the beautiful snowy white dogwoods, the chartreuse green of the hardwood forest coming to life and then, low-in-behold, a male wild turkey shatters the stillness with his gobble. I did not see or hear any of these things described; back when I fall hunted the wild turkey.
But, if the kill is what matters most to a turkey hunter who wants to cause our turkey hunting to become like today's deer hunting has become; then I hope you will go elsewhere to do your fall turkey hunting. Real true turkey hunters that appreciate the Southern way of Spring turkey hunting know; what I am talking of.
Like someone has said, it is easy to mess-up things, but a lot's harder to fix them back, like they were.

Herb McClure
I agree completely like I stated earlier I HOPE WE NEVER GET A FALL SEASON. I have not turkey hunted 59 years but I have turkey hunted 24 years. I too have come to appreciate a nice cool spring morning, hearing the whooper wills sounding off, listening to a mountain stream as day is breaking, a owl hooting off in the distance then hearing that wonderful sound of a gobbler sounding off. Setting up on him calling and having him answer, then hearing the thump , thump , thump of him drumming as he approaches. Then seeing that beautiful red, white and blue head. Even if you can't get a shot at him just enjoying the sounds and beauty of a turkey hunt. We have great turkey hunting now so I pray they never get a fall season. Why would anyone want to do something that could ruin the great turkey hunting we have now.

hawglips

Banned
...you may learn that slowing down and smelling-the-roses is what helps make turkey hunting what it should be. Like listening to other wildlife,(before it is scared away), taking in the Flame Azaleas in bloom, the beautiful snowy white dogwoods, the chartreuse green of the hardwood forest coming to life and then, low-in-behold, a male wild turkey shatters the stillness with his gobble. I did not see or hear any of these things described; back when I fall hunted the wild turkey.

But you did see the morning sunlight angling through the multi-colored fall woods illuminating the world with that warm glow that happens only in the fall woods. And you watched bucks with nose to the ground trailing through the woods, and listened to the sound of wood ducks and squirrels and a multitude of God's other lovely creatures scurrying around.

But, if the kill is what matters most to a turkey hunter who wants to cause our turkey hunting to become like today's deer hunting has become; then I hope you will go elsewhere to do your fall turkey hunting. Real true turkey hunters that appreciate the Southern way of Spring turkey hunting know; what I am talking of.

Fall turkey hunting is nothing like this a'tall in my experience. Fall turkey hunting is about as far away from deer hunting as China is to Athens. And it's surely got nothing to do with the kill - because fall hunting (without a dog) is a lot harder to get the kill done than spring gobbler hunting, in my experience.

It seems to me that like real true turkey hunters would prefer more turkey hunting, rather than less. 6 or 7 months out of the year ought to suit him better than just 2 or 3.

Seems to me that thumbing the nose at fall turkey hunting is like thumbing the nose at blondes and redheads because only brunettes will do. That poor guy don't know what he's missing!

Georgia won't have a fall season anytime soon. But here's my .02 on fall turkey hunting.

In my limited experience, fall turkey hunting is harder to be successful at than spring gobbler - if you hunt with a shotgun and without a dog - and even if one includes hens as targets. It's tougher by a pretty fair margin IMO. But like anything else, I reckon it all boils down to how you do it.

I typically comb an area like I'd do in the spring, prospecting till I get a response or bump a flock. Since it's always an out of state hunt, I never get the chance to scout and don't know if any birds are using the area before I arrive in the dark on the morning of the hunt.

It's harder to find birds in the fall, generally speaking, because they aren't spread out everywhere like they are in the spring. And they don't typically answer from long distances like a spring gobbler will. So you've got to get close to find them.

In the spring, birds are spread over a larger area, and you can course a gobble from a long ways and get set up on him when his mind and judgment is clouded by desire. In the fall, they don't seem to care much about getting together with you for the most part - unless you get a good scatter, then the likelihood of calling one in goes way up. But finding and scattering them is a lot easier said than done - unless you hunt with a dog. And unless you find and scatter them, they don't come in near as easy as spring gobblers, in my experience. And then there's the issue of differentiating hen vs gobbler calls, and using the right one on the right birds. So you need to be proficient at more types of calls on fall birds.

My experience is mostly public land birds in the fall - and last Saturday's bird was found on a place I'd never set foot on before. So that certainly affects perspective, and the degree of difficulty of calling one in, I'd assume. But again, that's drawing from a limited bag of experience.

My perspective is totally based only on my own personal experience only; and if someone is hunting a familiar flock and land and knows where they are coming by to feed every day - well, I have no frame of reference on that sort of situation and don't think I'd have any interest in doing that. I guess one could wait around and deer hunt them like that, which I have no interest in doing.

As for gobbling, I get a heart thumping reaction with any sort of turkey vocalization in response to my calling, since, whether spring or fall, the whole point is to talk back and forth and trick one into thinking you're a bird he wants the company of. I love to hear them gobble, but I love to hear them yelp or cluck at me almost just as much. I get about the same rush when they answer no matter what the vocalization they used was. But that's me, and is a bias based on my own experience only, like anyone else. But it wasn't always like that. As I've hunted more in the fall in recent years, my appreciation for all their calls and the way the sport is played has gone up significantly.

The game is played slightly differently in the fall, and it gets a very close second to spring gobbler, in my book. This last hunt was as satisfying as any spring gobbler hunt I can recall. But of course, since it's freshest in my mind, that colors things at the moment.

I'm hoping to get out at least one more time before the season is out! I can't think of anything better to be doing in the woods this time of year.

herb mcclure

Fall Hunting Season

Mr. Hawglips, thanks for pointing out some of the enjoyment and difficulties associated with fall turkey hunting. I would like to congratulate you on taking your fall gobbler. You are truly a great turkey man who knows the ropes of turkey hunting and a good woodsman.
Yes, I too have seen numerous fall sun-rises; enjoying turkeys flying from their roost, or watching them feed in the hardwoods where I hunt on National Forest.
Years ago I learn from the late Leon Johenning of Lexington, Virginia that by using a camera I could extend my turkey time in the woods; all year; Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer.
Mr. Hawglips, our back and forth rebuttal of spring-time and fall-time turkey hunting are mutual reciprocal interchanges, no doubt. But I do have concerns of Georgia having a fall turkey season.
I not only hunt turkeys, but study what makes them tick, as well as their well-being. It is the well-being that concerns me. Like Mr. Haven Barnhill, (THE GAME BIOLOGIST), quoted in the posted report of Georgia's wild turkey and fall hunting season: With Georgia's vast number of deer hunters and either sex turkey killing; Georgia's turkey population can be hurt. Turkeys numbers in most areas have already peaked and in many areas are on the decline.
Other concerns are the huge stacks of corn and tri-pod feeders at Wal-Mart's stores, which are being used today on deer hunts to lure in game; just like in the old days when ditches were dug and filled with corn and a blind made in shotgun range.
Yes, I am a peculiar turkey hunter who does not want to hunt 4, 5, 6, or 7 mouths; just to kill more turkeys. Georgia's two mouth turkey season in the spring is to long also. In the high mountains March is to early,( gobblers are flocked-up; that don't mean you can't call them). May is to late to hunt in the southern part of Georgia; (because hens are already with poults).
Again, I don't fault anyone for fall turkey hunting; it's just that I don't think Georgia needs it on top of our spring-time long season.
Mr. Hawglips, if you would be interested in calling my cell-phone number: 706-892-6772, I would be glad to send you a DVD, which I made a few years ago titled " WILD TURKEY MEMORIES OF HERB MCCLURE" it want cost you anything. Then you can see what this poor guy has been missing that he don't know about.
Herb McClure

Turkeydoghunter

Hawglips

Hawglips thank you but most springer's will never get it , the beauty of fall and winter seasons and the challenge of it all I prefer dogs to break the flock and then calling the birds into gun range , a true turkey hunter hunts all year round !

Attachments

• 1st lb @ gobblr roost.JPG
    1st lb @ gobblr roost.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 211

hawglips

Banned
I not only hunt turkeys, but study what makes them tick, as well as their well-being. It is the well-being that concerns me. Like Mr. Haven Barnhill, (THE GAME BIOLOGIST), quoted in the posted report of Georgia's wild turkey and fall hunting season: With Georgia's vast number of deer hunters and either sex turkey killing; Georgia's turkey population can be hurt. Turkeys numbers in most areas have already peaked and in many areas are on the decline.
Other concerns are the huge stacks of corn and tri-pod feeders at Wal-Mart's stores, which are being used today on deer hunts to lure in game; just like in the old days when ditches were dug and filled with corn and a blind made in shotgun range.

I share all those concerns about a fall season in GA. It would be a mistake to allow turkey hunting while deer hunting is allowed over bait. The turkey resource should indeed be the top priority.

Yes, I am a peculiar turkey hunter who does not want to hunt 4, 5, 6, or 7 mouths; just to kill more turkeys. Georgia's two mouth turkey season in the spring is to long also. In the high mountains March is to early,( gobblers are flocked-up; that don't mean you can't call them). May is to late to hunt in the southern part of Georgia; (because hens are already with poults).
Again, I don't fault anyone for fall turkey hunting; it's just that I don't think Georgia needs it on top of our spring-time long season.

I agree - GA's spring season is too long. And I do understand that GA has decided to manage the turkey flock to allow such a long spring season with a generous limit. I've got no problem with any of that.

But I like brunettes, as well as blondes and redheads...

And I'd love to take you up on that generous DVD offer.

Timber1

BANNED
a true turkey hunter hunts all year round !

Totally agree. You can hunt turkeys even if your not allowed to carry a gun. Feeding areas change. Storms blow thru the woods creating blow downs that make once prime turkey areas desolate of birds. You can learn a lot from trailing a flock thru the woods for a day. Most importantly your out there keeping your skills sharp.
Of course you can always throw up a feeder or sow a foodplot.
Want to see a turkey population explosion....close spring season and open up a fall season.
What would all you turkey hunters do that dont hunt or shoot non-gobbling birds?

davisd9

Totally agree. You can hunt turkeys even if your not allowed to carry a gun. Feeding areas change. Storms blow thru the woods creating blow downs that make once prime turkey areas desolate of birds. You can learn a lot from trailing a flock thru the woods for a day. Most importantly your out there keeping your skills sharp.
Of course you can always throw up a feeder or sow a foodplot.
Want to see a turkey population explosion....close spring season and open up a fall season.
What would all you turkey hunters do that dont hunt or shoot non-gobbling birds?

If you are not toting a weapon, wouldn't that be observing and learning but not hunting?

hawglips

Banned
I think hunting fall turkeys will definitely make one a better spring gobbler hunter. Skills developed in the fall dealing with more reluctant birds which are harder to locate; and learning how they act when they aren't in heat of the rut; and using more types of calls; will definitely come in handy in the spring. It adds another dimension to your turkey hunting know-how and rounds out your repertoire nicely. I know my approach has changed some and my percentage of spring birds killed per hunt has gone up significantly since I've been dealing with fall birds.

Timber1

BANNED
The final successful act of hunting is the harvest ,or the kill, I agree.
Maybe I should have said, hunt for, as in locating sign or birds.
Some individuals who dont believe in killing, but still admire wild animals in their natural state capture their kills on camera. They are using hunting skills to locate and get the quarry in range.
I know sometimes there are days when I am hunting it seems I would have been just as well off to leave my shotgun at home. ;)

davisd9

The final successful act of hunting is the harvest ,or the kill, I agree.
Maybe I should have said, hunt for, as in locating sign or birds.
Some individuals who dont believe in killing, but still admire wild animals in their natural state capture their kills on camera. They are using hunting skills to locate and get the quarry in range.
I know sometimes there are days when I am hunting it seems I would have been just as well off to leave my shotgun at home. ;)

Agree 100%.

Turkeydoghunter

Have fun waiting

Y'all stick to spring an leave them fall and winter birds to us Real Turkey Hunters ! :shoot:

Mudfeather

Im glad that science and facts have had the upper hand over emotion so far in this state....

Someone who disagrees with Herb and the article give us facts as to why the bird would be better off....not a bunch of "This is better because I enjoy .........

Or the fact that real turkey hunters hunt all year....What a crop of mess that is....

facts outweigh emotion in my book....

01Foreman400

Staff member
I wouldn't be for a fall turkey season but I don't turkey hunt anyway.

Turkeydoghunter

I don't care

Im glad that science and facts have had the upper hand over emotion so far in this state....

Someone who disagrees with Herb and the article give us facts as to why the bird would be better off....not a bunch of "This is better because I enjoy .........

Or the fact that real turkey hunters hunt all year....What a crop of mess that is....

I don't Care if GA ever has a fall season ! but if a feller wants to hunt Turkey year around there's plenty of states that do allow Fall and winter hunting ! The Fact is when regulated with it's own season fall and winter hunting has little impact on populations, and Fall and winter hunting abounds across the nation ! most people really don't hunt in the fall or winter because it's at times its allot more difficult to kill a fall turkey VS a Spring love sick tom when all you have to do is scratch out a few yelps and he comes in running !

Timber1

BANNED

Obviously the bird would be better off if there were no season at all.
If you look at neighboring states with fall seasons it shows that you can have a fall season and still have a long spring season with liberal bag limits.
A 2 week season with a 1 gobbler with visible beard limit would not impact our turkey population in the least.
I think Georgia not going to a 1 gobbler per day limit in the spring does more harm than a fall season ever could.

hawglips

Banned
Obviously the bird would be better off if there were no season at all.
If you look at neighboring states with fall seasons it shows that you can have a fall season and still have a long spring season with liberal bag limits.
A 2 week season with a 1 gobbler with visible beard limit would not impact our turkey population in the least.
I think Georgia not going to a 1 gobbler per day limit in the spring does more harm than a fall season ever could.

One thing Lovett Williams used to say about it was that killing a jake in the fall was like only taking half a gobbler in the spring, because 50% of fall jakes will be dead before they become a 2 year old gobbler.

I'm glad I get to go fall hunting a time or two each year. It sure is nice to hunt turkeys during that long lull between May and March. And I'm glad, in a selfish sort of way, that not many people do it.

Timber1

BANNED
I'm glad I get to go fall hunting a time or two each year. And I'm glad, in a selfish sort of way, that not many people do it.

We use to feel the same way about the spring season.
Hunting public land you learn to deal with other hunters and look at them as just another obstacle, such as a creek or fence, to overcome.