Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

Horatio

i was actually talking about human predators. do you think the deer know we dont have good scenting ability. my main reason in asking is because ive jumped deer at close quarters with the wind in my face. close enough for the deer to visually lock on me. then they still circle to get downwind. if they have seen me why do they need to circle. they already know danger is present and their escape should be straight away. i cant figure why else they would circle unless it is to get out of a scent path.

I do not think deer think about it. I believe they associate patterns very well due to instincts. Deer know under what conditions a predator got too close to them and probably will not allow it to happen many times. Deer circle to confirm what they are seeing. The use their nose more than their eyesight since their sense of smell is so strong. A person that is not moving could or could not be a strange tree to deer that have had little contact with humans. The nose will tell them if it is a tree or not. If they confirm it may be danger then they will be out of the scent range of the danger and thus harder to track as they flee from this percieved danger. This also allows the deer to tell if the predator is catching up from behind them.

GunRights4US

I’ve always aimed to be in my stand, both quiet and comfortable no later than one hour before sunrise. And if I have a long drive to get to where I’m hunting in the morning, I give a fair amount of attention to calculating the absolute latest time I can wake up and still make that. But if for some reason I can’t be there by then, I don’t let it keep me off the stand entirely. I’ll still go get in my stand, even if it’s after sunup.

For afternoon hunts I’ve got no special time to be back on stand. That’s because I’m either in the stand all day, or I came down just to relocate and go right back up. If work or something dictates only hunting in the p.m., then I try to be on stand by at least two hours before sunset. But if hunting for a particular day only meant the last 30 minutes of legal was available, I’d take it.

I’d rather be in the woods…

bugkiller

Plant it and they will come

In most cases you will see a lot more deer on a good food plot. (Well fertilized and limed) On my club we plant lots of food plots but two words of wisdom. 1.) In middle Ga where I hunt the best food plots are wheat, oats, ryegrass, and clover. Don't waste your money on products like BIOLOGIC most of the seeds in these products are just one of the above seeds. Several other of the seeds don't become palttable until we have a couple of frosts. (End of November where I hunt. I have even seen deer not touch them until January.)
2.) Because you can't plant cool season crops until middle of September they are little use for bow season. Find natural foods until muzzleloader season when the food plots are being used. Does will come to food plots and the bucks will follow.

Question? What is the best way to make a shooting rail that will work with my lock on, but I can't put any nails or screws in the tree?

Question? Has anyone used the codeblue sents? Arer they any better that tinks 69 which is a lot cheaper?

A PVC pipe tee zip tied to the platform provides a stable pivot for a length of pipe that you can use as a rest.

Last edited:

BRUNO

I have been wondering something . The property I am hunting is 140 acres ( 20 acres of new pines , 40 acres of old pines , 80 acres of thick mixed wood creek bottom ) . we normally just hunt the old pines where there is a couple water oaks . I have seen does and 2 year old bucks and plenty of sign of big bucks but never see them . should we hunt the creek bottom or hunt the old pines between the new pines and the creek bottom .we have only went out this year to set up stands due to my brother and my bows have to be reworked .

RatherBHuntin

If slugs, only as far as you can still hit a pie plate.

If Buckshot, only about as far as about 3/4 of the pellets stay in a 12-16 inch circle. Probably about 40 yards.

JohnBenoit09

Not during rut would you attrack deer by rattling, grunting, or using a doe bleat in any way?

At night time when we are at our cabin we have a pond dam that is somewhat 200 yards away and we usually hear alot of movement and blowing during dark, but it is very thick and I mean thick. Would this be a good place to hunt?

What is the best way to hunt 8 year old planted pines that are to small to use a climber or a ladder stand?

SkyHigh

When is the best time to shoot a doe? Early season before the rut, and then have less does for bucks to chase? Or late season, after the rut when the does are already pregnant?

jigman

me and my daughter is in on a lease and have struggled try to find a good place to set up to hunt, we have found a good bedding location in a lake bed bottom that hasn't filled up with water yet and it's close to another bedding place in a hardwood bottom close to thick pines. my question is, this is the only place we have to hunt and will be hunting it every afternoon or everyother afternoon and mornings on the weekends and will be traveling the same path going in and out, is this a bad thing and if so what can we do to keep from spooking the deer. scents, not so often ? this place is so thick and hard to get to it would be hard to get to anyother way with out trespassing.
Also we have gotting a late start and just put up a ground blind and a climber yesterday and need to go back today and mark our path with reflective pins, do we need to let this place rest before hunting and if so how long ?

Last edited:

Headshot17

I have a buck on our property that seems to be large according to the size of the tree being rubbed. Each week I go back one tree is torn more and more to shreds and I have found lots of others. I haven't got a chance to see him yet. I guess my question is how do I go about hunting this big boy?

jigman

me and my daughter found these rubs yesterday afternoon along with about seven other rubs in the same location. I'm thinking about 30 to 40 yards down wind with buck lure on three scent strips around my climber and draging a scent rag to and from the truck with doe in heat scent ? right or wrong ? what should I do?

Attachments

• 1025061709.jpg
    1025061709.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,924
  • 1025061722.jpg
    1025061722.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,839

KiltedHiker

I moved to North Ga 10 years agoe and have noticed the Deer here (or on my lot) aren't realy vocal.
They slip in quet as they can, run around, play, eat and I have only heard 5 or 6 grunts.
How do I use a grunt call with out spooking them?

SkyHigh

A Cull buck is a buck thats rack will never reach its full potential. Like a 4 point with a really 17 inch inside spread or a 8 point with 6 on one side and two on the other.

Bigboy33

deer calibers

I am a new hunter looking to buy a good deer rifle that I can use forever. I understand 30-06 is the most popular (and for obvious reasons). I've also been told that a .270 is much better because it will ensure that the deer won't run away after being shot because the bullet stays inside the deer more than a 30-06 bullet. However, it is my understanding that a 30-06 goes through a deer and leaves a much bigger exit wound than a .270, so it is much easier to find blood and track the deer if it runs. Does any experienced hunter have some insight for me??? Thanks!

SkyHigh

I have never heard of that although I have never hunted with a 30-06. You shouldnt shoot a deer if you plan on tracking it. Shoot it to drop it. If what you have heard is true, then by using a 30-06 you will only have less meat. A 270 would be my choice. Great gun.

Torupduck

Banned
I am a new hunter looking to buy a good deer rifle that I can use forever. I understand 30-06 is the most popular (and for obvious reasons). I've also been told that a .270 is much better because it will ensure that the deer won't run away after being shot because the bullet stays inside the deer more than a 30-06 bullet. However, it is my understanding that a 30-06 goes through a deer and leaves a much bigger exit wound than a .270, so it is much easier to find blood and track the deer if it runs. Does any experienced hunter have some insight for me??? Thanks!

I have killed deer with both and I find them to be very similar. I can not tell you any differences pro or con about the calibers after shooting both for many years because neither did anything to shine above the other. The differences I found was in the rifles themselves. Picking your caliber is a minor part of the equation when picking your rifle. Pick a model that will make you happy for years and has a reliable rep.

As far as the exit wound and blood trail both calibers are very efficient for whitetail. I prefer remington cor lokt 150 grain with the 30-06 and 140 grain with the .270.

P.S. I love my 30-06. :banana:

Last edited:

Bigboy33

I have killed deer with both and I find them to be very similar. I can not tell you any differences pro or con about the calibers after shooting both for many years because neither did anything to shine above the other. The differences I found was in the rifles themselves. Picking your caliber is a minor part of the equation when picking your rifle. Pick a model that will make you happy for years and has a reliable rep.

As far as the exit wound and blood trail both calibers are very efficient for whitetail. I prefer remington cor lokt 150 grain with the 30-06 and 140 grain with the .270.

P.S. I love my 30-06. :banana:

30-06 it is! Thanks for the help toridak!:cool: