Rubber Hunting Boots for Scouting

DawgMedic

good! I thought about getting some of these, I have the older rubber lacrosse diamond backs & they are stiff. Have you had a chance to find out if they are snake proof

Mine are not stiff. They have the kevlar fabric inside of them. I have been close to snakes ..but have not had one strike at my feet ( and hope i don't have to verify them via a strike)... Love them though.. Most comfortable snake boot i have ever had ( We hunt in Sparta...)... the are also waterproof all the way up ..which helps in the swampy areas.

Here is a link to the ones that I have.
http://www.basspro.com/LaCrosse-Alp...s-for-Men-Realtree-APG/product/1110040501178/

Last edited:

rondvc

Yes they can, saw an article on a hunter wearing plain mucks that was hit in the calf. He lived because of his snake bite kit as he was an hour from the hosptial.

Jim Boyd

Ummmm - do flip flops and Crocs count ?

?

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my two cents worth on the subject. Positively believe in snake boots for the protection. As far as hunting in rubber vs leather, well rubber helps some but not as much as media hypes it to be. I have owned several different pairs of rubber and leather boots and have not noticed a difference really. I have on occasion walked in with rubber boots on and had deer cross my path and they stopped exactly where I was sniffing the ground. Also, rubber boots are good for not allowing your feet smell from penetrating through the rubber. However, if you cross a creek, get water in the boots and you have wet feet in a damp boot, the odor elevates out of the boot from the top. So it really didn't help to wear that boot. Also, it also doesn't matter if you get water in them, this can happen if your feet sweats inside. The same thing happens with the odor.

So it is either one for me.
Put on a pair of those "scent-free" rubber boots, walk into the woods, have your wife give you a 15 minute head-start and turn your dog loose. You'll soon find out how scent free they are. :)

Gimmicks are gimmicks. Pay attention to how you walk to your stand. Sometimes I walk through a place intentionally to make the deer stop for a second when it smells my tracks. Pow.

decatur dawg

It took me a couple years, but I have come to realize less is more when going into the woods for me. I got tired of carrying all my stuff into the woods and I saw just as many deer if not more. You are correct...gimmicks are gimmicks. Now I just save up my cash for the fun stuff like a new rifle one day or a real nice knife.

I just want it to be deer season already!

oldfella1962

OK. I did a search and found some LaCrosse rubber snake boots from Bass Pro... They were not listed on their online store... but i located the item number and was able to order them. They were about $179. i absolutley love them! They are very flexible compared to my "older" snake boots... The are comfortable to wear and provide snake protection. They are 100% waterproof and camo. I wear them for bow season and on until the snakes are gone... and wear them for Turkey season as well.
They are holding up very well so far ( 2 seasons down).

I have some Lacross snake boots I bought at Cabelas around that same price, maybe the next cheaper model. This will be the third season, and holding up great except I replaced the laces. Surprisingly cool in the heat of early season, and with thick socks great for late season. I have rubber boots in my rucksack in case I ever need to temporarily traverse deep mud or water. Of course I bought the snake boots because I had a "close encounter" with a cotton-mouth wearing tennis shoes (me, not the snake!) and I haven't run across another once since.

oldfella1962

I won't scout or visit one of my stands wearing anything but rubber boots I have a couple of pairs of La Cross. Also when your scouting wear gloves amazing how many folks will wear camo, scent block clothing , face masks etc and walk thru the woods bare handed grabbing limbs etc.:cheers:

yeah people forget that the deer's nose is not just on the ground, and everything the rest of your clothes & body touches will spread your scent too! That said I try to walk carefully and thread my way through the woods so the only thing toughing anything is my boots. If you aren't good at squatting very deep it will wear you out though depending on the route you pick!

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Put on a pair of those "scent-free" rubber boots, walk into the woods, have your wife give you a 15 minute head-start and turn your dog loose. You'll soon find out how scent free they are. :)

Gimmicks are gimmicks. Pay attention to how you walk to your stand. Sometimes I walk through a place intentionally to make the deer stop for a second when it smells my tracks. Pow.

Some people use them to cross water. Like me.

gabowman

Don't know where youre from but here where I live it's HOT before the season comes in. I own several pairs of rubber boots but don't wear 'em until it begins cooling off some. Until then it's rubber soled tennis shoes for me. I just watch where I step!;):)

And yea...I believe deer will smell leather boots where as they wont smell rubber boots nearly as quickly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some people use them to cross water. Like me.
That is a legitimate use and need for rubber boots. I would wear them too if I hunted in a swampy place.