Dawson Forest.

I found ridiculous amount of fresh sign today, and made sure to tell all the city folk hikers they needed to be aware. :)
I'm afraid they're pretty nocturnal right now, but I'll be up there on the 15th. Anyone else get their miles in before this weekend?

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I dont go there, but am stoked for you guys! I plan on going at first light tomorrow......hopefully they will be where they are supposed to be ?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
We all know where you will be !!!

You know it!

Since we are treating tomorrow like opening day for hog hunting(it is) little doubt we’ll all be on Public Land too! ?

Let’s see who kills the 1st one! Good luck to everyone and watch for snakes, it’s gonna be hot!

jbogg

I will be heading up to the mountains tomorrow for a quick morning hunt. Have to be back at work in the afternoon so I hope the pigs cooperate.

I think I've got a real sporting chance unless I get ran over by the tree hugging hiking clubs. They pitched a fit last time I hunted up there. Had to remind them it's a Wildlife MANAGEMENT Area

tallchris83

Dawson Forest Wildcat- found sign for hog, turkey, and saw two does. The deer are not pressured here and I had the whole place to myself. Does the presence of deer mean that the hogs have already wandered off?

chrislibby88

Dawson Forest Wildcat- found sign for hog, turkey, and saw two does. The deer are not pressured here and I had the whole place to myself. Does the presence of deer mean that the hogs have already wandered off?
I saw several deer and pigs in the same area down in my neck of the woods. Jumped a fawn, and then a pack of pigs within 100 yards of each other. They seem to share the woods just fine, though I can see how heavy hog competition would push deer out.

Murphy's law got me today..emergency trip to the vet. I'll be at it rain or shine in the morning.

Which way did you go in?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Been thinking about heading out there for a change in scenery. I remember how much I love that area and I drove them roads many years and never knew we had pigs.......2001 ish

Probably just go out 53 to the check station and find a creek to walk along ......it shouldn’t take more then an hour to get there.

Plus they have fur bearers and we can hunt them later on=I can take the AR so I plan to go then anywho.....any tips on where to start would be appreciated. If u see a burgundy ridgeline say hey. Gonna try to go Sat or Sunday am.

Been thinking about heading out there for a change in scenery. I remember how much I love that area and I drove them roads many years and never knew we had pigs.......2001 ish

Probably just go out 53 to the check station and find a creek to walk along ......it shouldn’t take more then an hour to get there.

Plus they have fur bearers and we can hunt them later on=I can take the AR so I plan to go then anywho.....any tips on where to start would be appreciated. If u see a burgundy ridgeline say hey. Gonna try to go Sat or Sunday am.[/QUOTE

I've been focusing on the Big Canoe side of the the road on Wildcat. Go to the campground, cross the bridge, take a right at the fork. It's 1.8 miles to the next bridge. You'll see all the sign you need to see in that stretch. I thought about going but, with Jeepfest and it being Labor Day weekend, I expect it to be run over with hikers/campers.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Gonna try to get up early and check out a few places in the Am.......will report

tallchris83

Tried the campgrounds today. Crossed the bridge, found lots of fresh tracks and rooting next to the creek, its branches, and along the roadbed.. Climbed the ridge line and found a well worn hog path straddling it. Looked like someone took a turf roller through it. I started with my hand calls and got an answer from a sow! It's the airy high squeal they make to call their piglets. Also heard grunting and a tree break. I followed the game trail for some distance until it became impenetrable. Did not find the hog. This is also very close to private property at Big Canoe. Very exciting and I will be back.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Tried the campgrounds today. Crossed the bridge, found lots of fresh tracks and rooting next to the creek, its branches, and along the roadbed.. Climbed the ridge line and found a well worn hog path straddling it. Looked like someone took a turf roller through it. I started with my hand calls and got an answer from a sow! It's the airy high squeal they make to call their piglets. Also heard grunting and a tree break. I followed the game trail for some distance until it became impenetrable. Did not find the hog. This is also very close to private property at Big Canoe. Very exciting and I will be back.

NICE!! I went Saturday and walked a bit but saw very little sign where I was and I ended up driving to Rich mtn and saw some sign there m but nothing crazy......gonna head back to Dawson forest again.........it’s not that far.

Been hangin out on the dove field a little bit buseeing very few birds....... I did manage to call a couple in though and that was very cool!