Dawson Forest Atlanta Tract

I was thinking about hitting the Atlanta Tract for some squirrel hunting this week. According to the assigned Forester, he says there are no fees as long as you have a valid hunting license. But I can't figure out where the South gate entrance is. I'll be traveling west on Dawson Forest Road from the N GA Outlets. Can anyone tell me if the gate is easy to see/marked and what parking might look like? I guess you just take off on one of the trails and head for a good looking spot? Thanks in advance.

Can't answer your question about the South Gate as I've never been that direction but if you go up a bit and then west on 53 and then south on Sweetwater Church Road, Dawsonville, GA that road goes into the goethe tract then the ATL tract. Good luck, I've been up that area recently 5-6 times in the last couple of months and only gotten one squirrel that was early Dec., since then I've only seen two, and one of those was in my car on the way out of the WMA. Seems like Jan. they are very hard to come by.

35 Whelen

Directions from Hwy 400: Take Hwy 400 North or South depending upon starting location to the Dawsonville Outlet mall Red Light. (Turn Left (West) if traveling North or Right (West) if traveling South onto Dawson Forest Road.) Continue straight for approximately 3.8 miles until the intersection/stop sign. Proceed straight through intersection for approximately 1 mile to South entrance gate. Proceed through gate and Parking Area/Trailhead will be just ahead on the right.

Gordief

35 Whelen... the stop sign has been replaced w/ a double round-a-bout. :)

keep heading west past the 2 schools - the fire dept.- and the giant
sub-division. all on the right. follow signage to parking, kiosk and
maps.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Do you have to park in designated areas now?
We used to just park anywhere on the side of the road and hit the woods.

35 Whelen

35 Whelen... the stop sign has been replaced w/ a double round-a-bout. :)

keep heading west past the 2 schools - the fire dept.- and the giant
sub-division. all on the right. follow signage to parking, kiosk and
maps.

True, just stay on Dawson Forest Road.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Dawson Forest is a tough place to hunt late season. There are so many den trees that the sqwerls just disappear when you hit the woods. The most luck I have had on the Atlanta tract is find an edge where there are pines bordering a hardwood section, and pay more attention to the pines. Sqwerls are cutting lots of needles off pines this time of year.

Thanks for all the info. The gate is actually a bit past a large, "horse trailer" parking area. This was on the left side of Dawson Forest Road and the first parking area I saw so I just parked there (it was still pitch dark). The wind was playing **** all morning. Saw 3, never get a shot. After 40 years of hunting it still amazes me the difference between a country squirrel and neighborhood squirrel. They vanished before I could even get the 22 shouldered. Surprisingly I did sneak up on 3 different groups of deer. It was nice just to get out of the house and hike around.

sprewett

Sounds like an awesome productive trip in my book! Nothing compares to being out in God's creation.

DustyRoads

I hunt and ride the horses& race dirt bike....was at Dawson around 7FEB-crossed the dam & went down to river/ didn't see any squirrels and man I'm missing my squirrel& bisquits.
I use the horses to scope out an area before returning with the 22/10.
This year has been super bad for Jan&Feb bushy tails.