Woodcock sightings?

BayDog96

UAEC
Curious if anyone has seen any woodcock around just yet. I hunted Virginia's early season(end of oct/begining of nov) and got into a few, usually on that property I don't see any until the regular season comes in. Cold is finally coming to coastal Georgia in the coming days, hopefully the timberdoodle's will be following as the season draws closer

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Saw one late Sunday evening as it flew by me while I was on a deer stand.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I suppose there's no way to tell if those were resident or migratory birds. We do have some resident doodles. A few years ago, Floyd spotted a female with chicks behind her in August in the SC lowcountry. This wet, cold weather will help for sure. Gil

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Haven’t seen any here in middle Ga. Been looking everyday as I’m getting my 3 month old GSP some woods and creek time in.
Jeff

trad bow

I am. First year in the past five I will be able to hunt. Had my last back operation in October and hope to be release to start back hunting next week.
Jeff

trad bow

Thanks for the link Gil. Very interesting and informative. Hopefully it gives updates by start of season.
Jeff

trad bow

Lots of migration information on the upland journal site. The woodcock can really cover some distance from one day to the next during their migration. Think in hundreds of miles overnight. The coastal plain in Ga is more conducive to woodcock but the creek and river bottoms in middle Ga also hold huntable populations.
Good luck to everyone
Jeff

trad bow

Look forward to hearing your hunting reports this year Preacher. Hopefully your English Cocker is as ready as you.

Coach K

Getting more points on WC in middle GA than coveys of quail!! Quail population may be at an all time low point here since I've lived in the area.

mlandrum

Look forward to hearing your hunting reports this year Preacher. Hopefully your English Cocker is as ready as you.
Trad, Drake is ready to go!! Been killing a lot of hogs this year but it’s over now the freezer is full so just getting ready for the 8th?