Big Mama!

Christian hughey

That'd been stickbow distance! Backpack mountain bear hunting has taken over my deer season. Im lovin it too! Great video, thanks for postin it!
Don't miss out already seeing them following does. A buddy of mine got this pretty fella Sunday mornin on our property and I saw multiple bucks on there feet no shooters. Got high hopes for mid ga this year. Ill be back up after thanksgiving strolling a few ridges at cohutta.
20181021_111653.jpg

Killer Kyle

Really interesting encounter and pics/videos J! I always like watching and learning about bear behavior because they are interesting creatures and their mind is interesting to me.
I'm certain that you noticed this but I'll throw it out there. I have always believed that once a bear hits 200 or maybe 250 lbs or so, they really don't climb for acorns anymore. They just wait for them to come down. It simply becomes too difficult to climb at that point. Gravity is working against them, and they usually can just no longer effectively climb easily.

In your video, the upper cub begins to climb down and the lower cub begins to move higher. Immediately after that, she raises her left paw, then tests her feet. She tests the left foot first and then the right foot. There is a lot going on in her mind in that moment. She is trying to identify the threat or alarm, she is wondering if she should climb the tree or flee, minding the location of her cubs, and possibly testing to see if she COULD climb the tree. Who knows. I wonder if she could still scale that tree if she had to given her size?
Its interesting to me to speculate about what was going on in her mind in that moment.

jbogg

I noticed the same thing Kyle. In the video she lifted each of her back feet off the ground is if she was contemplating climbing. I’m sure she could’ve climbed if she really wanted to, but I don’t think she was that concerned. Seems like I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube of equally large bears treed by dogs hunters. Maybe buckman or some of the other guys that know about dog hunting could chime in and Share what was the largest bear they had ever seen treed by dogs.

tree cutter 08

Never been on a dog race but the biggest bear I've seen topping oaks was about 200lb. Always figured once that big of bigger they will either run or fight.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Wasn't the state record bear in Georgia killed out of a tree in south Georgia a couple years back? I realize that "state record" has changed hands several times in recent years, but I seem to recall a dang near 600lb bear that was reportedly in a tree when it was killed.

Back40hunter

Very cool encounter. Thanks for sharing. You are to be commended for letting her go with her cubs. The cubs would have probably been big enough to make her legal but I love your decision to give Mama a pass. Great job on the pic’s and video.

jbogg

Very cool encounter. Thanks for sharing. You are to be commended for letting her go with her cubs. The cubs would have probably been big enough to make her legal but I love your decision to give Mama a pass. Great job on the pic’s and video.

I attended a DNR public input meeting a year or two ago and specifically asked the game warden to clarify the law as to whether or not a Sow would be legal if her cub or cubs were clearly over 75 lbs. His response was to “Shoot the cub”, but the sow would be off limits. So basically, if a sow has a cub of any size she is not legal even if the cub is. However, since there is a two bear limit if someone was to shoot the cub first does that mean the sow is now legal game since she would no longer have a cub by her side. Seems like some of the Bear regulations could be cleaned up a bit.

Back40hunter

I believe you’re right jbogg. I’ve been reading that rule incorrectly for years. Glad I haven’t seen a sow with big cubs along side. I may have been tempted ?
I attended a DNR public input meeting a year or two ago and specifically asked the game warden to clarify the law as to whether or not a Sow would be legal if her cub or cubs were clearly over 75 lbs. His response was to “Shoot the cub”, but the sow would be off limits. So basically, if a sow has a cub of any size she is not legal even if the cub is. However, since there is a two bear limit if someone was to shoot the cub first does that mean the sow is now legal game since she would no longer have a cub by her side. Seems like some of the Bear regulations could be cleaned up a bit.

Dub

Steady nerves @jbogg

Thanks a ton for sharing the pics and awesome video.

I'd have been a might jittery after looking uphill and seeing her slip in on me like that, too. (y)