Best part of the deer?

Question,

I've never eaten deer heart before, how would i cook it?

About any way that you would cook any tough piece of meat--moist cooking. Remember it's muscle, just like a ham, but it's tough muscle.

Cut it up in a stew, braise it and slice then.

My favorite way is to cut the large end off, clean out the inside. Put in a pot cover with water, season to taste, salt, garlic, sage, onion -- simmer until tender, usually about an hour. Then take the piece that you cut off, chop up with some rice-- I like brown rice, and whatever you have to make a stuffing --bell pepper, onion, carrots and so on,-- stuff the heart like you would a bell pepper, and bake in a pan with a little water/beer/wine, for about another hour, and then slice then and serve.

Or you can boil until tender and use in a stew or chili. I particularly like it in an Irish stew. I've also made a shepherd's pie with it, and that's pretty tasty.

ambush80

Question,

I've never eaten deer heart before, how would i cook it?

-Trim off anything White.
-Flay it open so that it's about 1inch uniform thickness
-Salt and pepper and put it on a glowing hot grill till medium rare

DO NOT OVERCOOK!!!!

It's every bit as soft as tenderloin maybe even softer because the muscle fibers are short, giving it a "smooth" texture when you chew it. The flavor is sweet and mild.

Or you can stew the poo out of it.

murf

Stuff the heart with hot peppers then sew it closed[ you can use fishing line]. Cook in crockpot on low till real tender. Remove fishing line and whirl it up in a food processor. Spread on crackers for a great snack.