Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 02-08-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurasquirrel View Post
Nuclear is actually one of the most green sources of electricity we have.
Until you flop that spent nuclear waste into the earth.

But I'm a fan of nuclear power over any other
Old 02-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
Until you flop that spent nuclear waste into the earth.
Thank Carter for shutting down breeder reactors. Don"t have worry about waste disposal if there isn't much.

Basically every problem is the result of listening to morons yammer about things they don't even dimly understand.

They yammer about the most destructive phrase in the english language, "It could happen".
Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW View Post
Like I said, they aren't for everyone. And I agree that there are no good EV options, right now in 2018, that meet the definition of a working truck that can haul, tow and go off-road.

But to classify everyone that uses one, or might use one, as a "vegan or hippie going to a protest"? That's pretty narrow-minded...there are lots of good people out there who average less than 100 miles per day (36,500 miles per year) that may find it to be an acceptable solution to $2.50 per gallon gas prices. Some may be tree huggers choosing EV as environmental statement, but I suspect a lot of them will make the EV choice purely as a financial decision. I won't judge their motives, nor their lifestyles, based on their choice of energy to power their car.

It's not for me either, like you they don't fit my particular needs, but I am going to be open minded about the future of EV. My prediction is that in 40-50 years, gasoline powered cars will be as rare as EV cars are today.
^^^this

I suggest people will do less driving period in the future....and of course the work load of trucks will be hard to replace...Savannah set a container record for December - the real disrupter idea is to figure out how to cut freight delivery as we know it out of the picture...

for me, I can see a small EV as ONE vehicle for my wife and I as we age....rent something for a road trip.

*I just sold our 3rd car we kept as it was an old great running Tahoe I could not part with - used some as a hunting vehicle at the lake, etc. Selling this Tahoe saved me the upkeep which was not allot , but it was something....vehicle ownership is a huge expense for most people, look at your total monthly cost to keep your rides - it is allot of money.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Why not use Uber..
Old 02-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy D Fellers View Post
Why not use Uber..
Uber don't come back here amongst the banjers.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 AM

I spend $36 a week driving a 4x4 and my wife spends a bit more driving a sports car.

That's how we will continue, and we sure won't let some metro sexual who spends $100 a week on vape juice and monster energy drinks tell us how to live.

#gasguzzlerforlife

Last edited by sinclair1; 02-10-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclair1 View Post
I spend $36 a week driving a 4x4 and my wife spends a bit more driving a sports car.

That's how will will continue, and we sure won't let some metro sexual who spends $100 a week on vape juice and monster energy drinks tell us how to live.

#gasguzzlerforlife
Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
^^^this

I suggest people will do less driving period in the future....and of course the work load of trucks will be hard to replace...Savannah set a container record for December - the real disrupter idea is to figure out how to cut freight delivery as we know it out of the picture...

for me, I can see a small EV as ONE vehicle for my wife and I as we age....rent something for a road trip.

*I just sold our 3rd car we kept as it was an old great running Tahoe I could not part with - used some as a hunting vehicle at the lake, etc. Selling this Tahoe saved me the upkeep which was not allot , but it was something....vehicle ownership is a huge expense for most people, look at your total monthly cost to keep your rides - it is allot of money.
This doesn't apply to me atall. The less I drive the less I need to worry about gas mileage. When I retire and no longer need to go to work, it's H1 military Hummer time and a few more 6 MPG interest.

Best advice I can give is, keep that electric cart outta my way, because I use the bigger is safer thought process as my eyesight and reaction time goes down.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Why not use Uber..
Bingo!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:17 PM

Wonder how fast pulling one of my trailers would drain one of them batteries? Call me skeptical, but when I hear companies touting 100 mile range that don’t impress me all that much. For a golf cart, great, not for my truck though.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Electric is here to stay and will continue to gain market share in the years ahead. Our great grandchildren will say they can't believe we had to fill our cars up with poisonous gasoline. Tesla already exceeds 300 miles to the charge with more charging stations being installed monthly that charge in bout 20 minutes. Won't be too long til you look in your rear view and see that big Tesla semi coming up on you running on batteries.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmp1 View Post
Flex fuel vehicles are much better,,,, and fuel cell vehicles are really the way to go,,,, H20 is the result,,,, need the infrastructure,,,,
A great investment will be hydrogen stations, before oil is gone.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert28 View Post
Wonder how fast pulling one of my trailers would drain one of them batteries? Call me skeptical, but when I hear companies touting 100 mile range that donít impress me all that much. For a golf cart, great, not for my truck though.
Speaking of carts....I drive mine to and from the course for late afternoon practice and nine wholes drinks smokes etc.

The ease of use is ridiculous. Not to mention the drinks and being off the roads on way home...cart friendly hoods are a thumbs up in my book. I get it now how Peachtree is so big on cart life down there....it is just simple and cost effective
Old 02-10-2018, 07:28 PM

Had a customer give me all the facts about how much my truck polutes the air and I should think about more envirementally responsible work vehicles.
I asked her if she would rather I left my trailor behind and not complete her basement.
Of course her basement was more important than the envirement.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:45 PM

I'm not a fan of electric cars. I need the ability to haul firewood, livestock, hay, and pack a truck to head to deer camp. There's no telling what some of our members would say if we rolled up to camp in a leaf. We'd probably be on dish duty.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...truck-outdoors
Who knows what the future beholds.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecutter View Post
All we'll need now is a whole new power grid. Then we'll be all set.
Exactly. If half the vehicles, or more to the point, if we ever get from the .005% today to 5%, we will start to see real issues with the electrical grid.

As an exercise on Monday, count the total number of EV's and Hybrids you see on your commute. If more than 1% of the vehicles you see are, and you commute more than 10 miles one way, PM me. I will gladly buy you a beer.

I put the qualifier in because there may be someone here who works at UGA and lives in Athens. But I'll buy you a beer anyway.

Last edited by Major Wader; 02-10-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackmasterofgeorgia View Post
A great investment will be hydrogen stations, before oil is gone.
98% of all hydrogen produced in the USA today is a byproduct of the hydrocracking process used to make gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel, fuel oil, plastics, and diesel fuel.

And by the most conservative estimates, by the most liberal and environmentally conscious groups, is that there is 100-150 years of petroleum left inside US borders.

p.s. - There is way more than that. And oill moves our country. DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!

Last edited by Major Wader; 02-10-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattech View Post
I personally think there is a tool for every job. As of now, an EV is not a viable tool for me, I go through a tank of gas every day- day and a half. If they can make one last for 400 miles on a charge then we may be talking.

I checked a few years back. My breakeven on two vehicles, because I can't do without my truck, is gasoline or diesel at $6.50 per gallon.

I'll keep my truck, even if it costs a few extra pennies.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 PM

My goofing around vechile is a F550 but I do have a F250 when I feel green .
Old 02-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Wader View Post
98% of all hydrogen produced in the USA today is a byproduct of the hydrocracking process used to make gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel, fuel oil, plastics, and diesel fuel.

And by the most conservative estimates, by the most liberal and environmentally conscious groups, is that there is 100-150 years of petroleum left inside US borders.

p.s. - There is way more than that. And oill moves our country. DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!
Not complaining about oil drilling, and I know we have oil left that will probably last more than that 150 years, since there are a few trillion barrels in oil sands in Canada, and a few trillion barrels of untouched oil still on the continental shelf. According to an oil ceo, oil could be classified as a finite source of energy. Also the US isn't going to be touching any of the Alaska reserves or most of the Dakota reserves until Saudi Arabia and Russia have depleted theirs, and in current news, Russia is about to pass Saudi Arabia in crude oil production barrels per day, if they already haven't. We'll have a monopoly and will be able to dictate the price. Regarding the estimates, Peak Oil was a graph made in 1950's that stated we would reach peak oil by 1970's, but that peak has been pushed back every ten years or so.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 PM

This group is a minority of folks who live or play outside of the big city. Electric cars are the future for those who wants don't extend past the city limits. Allot of short minded post in here.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This group is a minority of folks who live or play outside of the big city. Electric cars are the future for those who wants don't extend past the city limits. Allot of short minded post in here.
I honestly don't give a crap about the poor souls who never leave the city limits. They don't need a car to begin with. And if we were the minority to the city folks, Clinton would be president.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:49 AM

Clinton had the majority vote.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:06 AM

OP here,

Drove the 150 into the City for dinner last pm...there's another part of this EV for me - any kind of commuter would be smart to have some steel (well, allot of steel) around em inside or near the perimeter...

my point is the EV may work "if" you have limited needs for transportation...and of you do, you can sure save $$$ by going EV

if I get to that point, I will save the $$ rather than have the gassers just sitting...I live .5 miles from the Publix and just about anything I need...on a daily basis...if my cart were legal, I could buy more beer for the money saved on car insurance...JS