Internet has caused an will continue to cause lease prices to skyrocket

livetohunt

It makes it easier to put the seller and buyer together, and the property may lease quicker. I can say it is MUCH easier to find a top notch place to hunt in Georgia than in Illinois. It is very difficult to find a premier farm in West Central Illinois to lease.

this is why I keep urging my dad to go in with me to buy some land and maybe even my uncle as well, more ppl more land
because I fear that in the future that hunting any quality land will be for the fortunate private land owners or the elite (wealthy) that can afford the lease prices...Like others have already said on here, people from Florida and the big cities like Atlanta already lease land in rural counties to hunt because they can't find any in the big cities and they have plenty of money to afford a 500 -1000 acre lease without having 25 club members
It will be a crying shame that ppl that are less fortunate to have good high paying jobs could be forced to hunt over crowded wma's and likely get soo frustrated with dealing with it they just give up hunting all together and figure whats the point of 10 people all calling to the same bird..

Buckstop

Simple. All about exposure.

Exposure to more buyers = more buyers. More buyers = increased demand. Increased demand = declining supply and rising prices.

Doesn’t matter if your selling widgets, clappers or hunting rights.

swamp hunter

Leases in my neck of the woods are running about 8 to 9 Thousand a year..per Member.
I have to drive to the Georgia line just to be able to hunt.
$ 1'300 a year up there. Not all Florida folks are rich..I wish we were.
Supply and Demand.

pottydoc

this is why I keep urging my dad to go in with me to buy some land and maybe even my uncle as well, more ppl more land
because I fear that in the future that hunting any quality land will be for the fortunate private land owners or the elite (wealthy) that can afford the lease prices...Like others have already said on here, people from Florida and the big cities like Atlanta already lease land in rural counties to hunt because they can't find any in the big cities and they have plenty of money to afford a 500 -1000 acre lease without having 25 club members
It will be a crying shame that ppl that are less fortunate to have good high paying jobs could be forced to hunt over crowded wma's and likely get soo frustrated with dealing with it they just give up hunting all together and figure whats the point of 10 people all calling to the same bird..
And on post 22 the "Rich Atlanta and Florida hunters" card is played. I wish I made what some of you guys think I do. I bust my butt doing side work, and working OT to pay for my lease. As do most of the guys who are on it. We lease from a private owner. He gets offered considerably more than we pay on a regular basis. He always tells them no, because he knows we take good care of his investment. As far as your not so good paying job, maybe you shouldn't have chosen it as a career. You did know how much it paid, didn't you? And, an FYI, I work in construction, no degree or anything like that.

pottydoc

Leases in my neck of the woods are running about 8 to 9 Thousand a year..per Member.
I have to drive to the Georgia line just to be able to hunt.
$ 1'300 a year up there. Not all Florida folks are rich..I wish we were.
Supply and Demand.
Swamp, don't kid them, all us Florida boys were born rich, and have just become richer as we aged. Heck, when the Lord calls me home, I might even leave some my empire to some of these poor old Georgia guys so they won't have to hunt one little turkey with ten other fellers. :D

And on post 22 the "Rich Atlanta and Florida hunters" card is played. I wish I made what some of you guys think I do. I bust my butt doing side work, and working OT to pay for my lease. As do most of the guys who are on it. We lease from a private owner. He gets offered considerably more than we pay on a regular basis. He always tells them no, because he knows we take good care of his investment. As far as your not so good paying job, maybe you shouldn't have chosen it as a career. You did know how much it paid, didn't you? And, an FYI, I work in construction, no degree or anything like that.

First of all, "Atlanta and Florida hunters" is not a card, its a fact. I didn't say "all" people that are from Atlanta or Florida leasing land here were rich. Obviously you aren't which is why you got offended, you work hard to get in a lease, I get that. what I was referring to was "wealthy" people from the big cities like Atlanta..( the lawyers, real estate moguls..etc). Land in places like that is limited, so they go to rural places in Georgia and when the lease is $12/13 an acre, that's nothing to them, they outbid the blue collar man easily. Its happened to me and club members lots of times. Sorry if you took that the wrong way being a Floridian. We have had many guys from Florida in our clubs that were blue collar guys like yourself, they were fine club members. My main point was that I feared that one day in the future the wealthy and elite would basically buy out the blue collar man in hunting property, that's all. Just a general concern for ppl with not a lot of income to enjoy hunting in the future

and as far as you questioning how much money I make, I never said in my original post that I had a low paying job, I was referring to others that may not be as fortunate. I was not referring to myself. I have a good paying job making 35/hr with a tech degree. I am blue collar myself

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
First of all, "Atlanta and Florida hunters" is not a card, its a fact. I didn't say "all" people that are from Atlanta or Florida leasing land here were rich. Obviously you aren't which is why you got offended, you work hard to get in a lease, I get that. what I was referring to was "wealthy" people from the big cities like Atlanta..( the lawyers, real estate moguls..etc). Land in places like that is limited, so they go to rural places in Georgia and when the lease is $12/13 an acre, that's nothing to them, they outbid the blue collar man easily.

Painfully RONG! "the lawyers, real estate moguls..etc." don't lease land for a hunting club. They buy it.

I'm an "Atlanta hunter". I know lots of "Atlanta hunters". None of us are rich. We're just middle class working stiffs trying to beat out a living in a rich man's world just like everybody else. The biggest group of hunters in Georgia lives in the metro ATL area and most of us hunt in the Piedmont physiographic region. We pay the same price for hunting leases as everybody else. If Plum Creek or Rayonier or Georgia Pacific says the lease price is $15/acre either you pay it or you moveon.org. We don't "bid" up the price.:rolleyes:

transfixer

Bottom line is the higher lease prices have caused some hunters to drop out of clubs, or leases, we've lost a few good members over the years because the cost of dues got to where they couldn't justify it. I understand, but instead of adding more members to our club we just add the increases in each year, we simply divide the cost between the 5 or 6 members we have each year. At some point it the cost will become difficult for most people to absorb. I'm not sure where that will be, but I'm sure its coming at some point in the future. Then it might literally be only a "rich mans game" ?

Oldstick

I blame demand.

Exactly demand vs supply nationwide. Like it or not, the demand is high and the supply of land is limited. The internet has made it easy for anyone with the money, no matter where they live, to find available leases.

Just like the large retailers first squeezed out a lot of small local stores with pricing, now the internet is pricing a lot of those big stores out with prices and push-button convenience.

across the river

Exactly demand vs supply nationwide. Like it or not, the demand is high and the supply of land is limited. The internet has made it easy for anyone with the money, no matter where they live, to find available leases.

Just like the large retailers first squeezed out a lot of small local stores with pricing, now the internet is pricing a lot of those big stores out with prices and push-button convenience.

It has far less to do with internet being nationwide, than it does with the drastic population increase in the Southeast, particularly Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina. The population of all three states in 2017 is somewhere between 1.5 and 1.6 what it was in 1990. You are talking of a population increase of around 4 million in Georgia, 4 million in NC,and 8 million in Florida. That is 16 million more people in those three states than there were not all that long ago relatively speaking. I don't care if there was no internet, prices would be up simply because there are far more people and less land. It is called economics.

rstallings1979

Elfii is correct...rich Atlanta & Florida hunters may try to lease but if they run into any aggravation they simply buy....land is a solid investment as well. You get to use it, touch it, and stand on it. Aflac & Exxon stock is a piece of paper so a rich guy doesn't mind adding land to his investment portfolio especially if he likes to hunt.

Mako22

BANNED
You guys just dont know how to work this thing like a club president does. Get to be the club president and then stack the membership high enough to cover your dues. You don't do any work as the internet just brings quality members in each year, you hear no complaints from anyone and deal with no stress at all. Its a free ride when your the guy running the lease.................

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Those "wealthy" land owners are also not all so "wealthy". Some of us have chosen to forgo the new 4wheel drive pickups, the big cars, the dinners out, and the vacations to exciting places. In place of that we have decided to buy and hold a little piece of Georgia. We still have to pay the State annually for the privilege of living and hunting on it. Then we have to listen to how rich and lucky we are. My truck was built in 2007, the one before that in 1972, and the one before that in 1965.

We all have choices to make. My choices are certainly not for everyone, but they suite me and they allow me to hunt deer with a few friends, listen to a neighbor run his rabbit dogs, admire the occasional turkey, and not be concerned about lease prices because I have already paid them, in advance, and many times over.

rwh

Instead of smaller isolated rural markets as in the past in GA, AL and SC, its pretty much any hunter within an 8 hour drive, which includes many major metropolitan areas. As incomes are typically higher in metropolitan areas, what these participants can or will pay is where property owners sets the price or market.

Same for the mid-west only the quality of hunting there opens it up to the whole nation that's willing to travel any distance for that kind of hunting.

Not much different than anything on E bay.

exactly, eBay has driven the price of used items up to the point that you can't find a deal on anything anymore.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
exactly, eBay has driven the price of used items up to the point that you can't find a deal on anything anymore.

If by "getting a deal" you mean taking advantage of an uninformed person, then you are correct but I have always frowned on that sort of deal.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

I hear this sort of generally uninformed opinion all the time.

Are there perhaps clubs where the “President “ does not pay? I am sure there are and in many, if done correctly, the membership actually endorses this.

In SC we are 6 members on 850 acres. Please search CMHC and reach out to my guys and ask them who works the hardest and who pays as much or more than they do. Ask them who works on their behalf to control or lower costs, asks for more tillable ground for plots, works to keep the landowner relationships strong, etc.

At the end of the day, every man makes his own decisions. You know what you are paying to be a member and if you ask the right questions, you know what you are entitled to.

No one forces anyone to be a member of any club - YOU are responsible for YOUR actions.

If you think it is easy and brings some sort of entitlement, you go find your long term leases and keep your members happy.

Gimme a break......

You guys just dont know how to work this thing like a club president does. Get to be the club president and then stack the membership high enough to cover your dues. You don't do any work as the internet just brings quality members in each year, you hear no complaints from anyone and deal with no stress at all. Its a free ride when your the guy running the lease.................

Mako22

BANNED
I hear this sort of generally uninformed opinion all the time.

Are there perhaps clubs where the “President “ does not pay? I am sure there are and in many, if done correctly, the membership actually endorses this.

In SC we are 6 members on 850 acres. Please search CMHC and reach out to my guys and ask them who works the hardest and who pays as much or more than they do. Ask them who works on their behalf to control or lower costs, asks for more tillable ground for plots, works to keep the landowner relationships strong, etc.

At the end of the day, every man makes his own decisions. You know what you are paying to be a member and if you ask the right questions, you know what you are entitled to.

No one forces anyone to be a member of any club - YOU are responsible for YOUR actions.

If you think it is easy and brings some sort of entitlement, you go find your long term leases and keep your members happy.

Gimme a break......

I am a club president and my post was meant in jest