Due to the price increases with leasing my hunting buddies and I decided to forego paying the hefty

greg j

Take Him, Take Him, Take Him!!!!!!
My dad started taking me with him when I was a Toddler.
He knew he probably wouldn't see anything with a 3 year old tagging along but it instilled a love of the outdoors in me that still lives today. And yes he did shoot a deer or two during those days along with rabbits, grouse and ducks. Your son will be forever thankful.

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

I hunt alone 2 hrs away from any human who cares about me. Sure there are risks but why fret over a little thing involved in something you love to do.

Hunting and outdoor adventures are inherently risky. Mildly so but more so than watching the game at home. You could have a heart attack and that could happen anytime or anywhere.

I’m a fatalist when it comes to my own mortality. I’ve made sure my wife will be taken care of if I leave. I don’t have kids so I can be a little riskier in that regard.

rstallings1979

I hunt alone 2 hrs away from any human who cares about me. Sure there are risks but why fret over a little thing involved in something you love to do.

Hunting and outdoor adventures are inherently risky. Mildly so but more so than watching the game at home. You could have a heart attack and that could happen anytime or anywhere.

I’m a fatalist when it comes to my own mortality. I’ve made sure my wife will be taken care of if I leave. I don’t have kids so I can be a little riskier in that regard.
Things change when kids arrive. I never used a lifeline or harness when hunting and hanging stands up until I got married and had my first child. Then I realized that others depended on me being here. It is still in God's hands but the main reason for my post is in all my years of doing my midwest hunts I have never ran into other hunters with their kids in tow unless it was gun weekend etc. My oldest is a very mature hunter for his age so I have full confidence he will not be a burden or want to go home. He just wants to experience the midwest. He killed a nice Georgia deer this past year and he definitely has the fever now. He wants to experience something different and I believe I am going to sit down with his teacher next year and let them know my plans. If she wants to send up there with extra work he will have plenty of time to do it when we come in at night.

I even called and cleared it with my friend who lets me hunt his properties. He told me when his oldest son was that age he used to run out on the porch crying when he would leave to go on his coon hunting trials. He never let him tag along because he felt like he was too young. When he was 14 and 15 years old he wasn't on the porch wanting to go anymore and would always turn him down when he asked him to go. He said he never laid a foundation and it was one of his biggest regrets.

ucfireman

Your son absolutely should not miss school.
1. The school gets federal and state funds for every student they have in school and the days they attend. Just think of the waste of your tax dollars.
2. He might miss the day when he learns he can be a she.
3. And maybe the most important. He wont be eligible for the participation trophy for perfect attendance. Or maybe he will I don't think they can leave anyone out.

Take the kid hunting. Do a road trip and enjoy y'alls time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
@rstallings1979 , your question has been answered and boy do I agree with taking him! I’d just like to add that many folks don’t really have the opportunity or the means for such an adventure. Take advantage of it and take lots of pictures! Guys are so bad about not taking pictures …..take lots of pictures!

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I have a small business and Covid was tough with two boys. My wife is a nurse that works every other weekend and was very hard getting away spend a lot of time and gas and exhausted coming home but I wouldn’t change it for anything be the tip of the spear when you die you only have your memories how you live your life.

uturn

My son is almost 40 now and it’s been 6/7 yrs since we were in the deer woods together…not a time goes by when I‘m in them that I do not think of him!

Why I too started harnessing up!!

Time is something you never get back and tomorrow is not guaranteed as you know, he might be just a bit young for a Midwest trip at 10 but if you, he and Momma are good with it I wouldn’t think twice!

We’ll be here waiting on the pictures!

Silent Assassin

Take him every chance you can. Take him and don't stick him in another tree. In fact take him and completely forget about your goal of getting a midwest monster. I know it is hard to do but take him and enjoy the adventure and memories for a few years while you can.

Nobody gave me advice and I thought my hunting and pursuit of a great buck was more important than sacrificing a few years to enjoy some memories with my son that I can never go back and do over.

My son has different things he likes to do with his time now at 17 YO and as a reward for my selfish behavior I have all the time to spend alone in the woods I can stand.

Go get some two man stands and ground blinds and have the time of your life with your son. You both will look back and cherish those times much more than killing a great buck by yourself 10 hours away.

NUTT

Randy,
There will be plenty of us right down the street willing to help you up there. I’ll be there November 5th-November 20th. My son who started hunting with me up there at 8 killed his first Booner with a bow at 28 years old this year. All those years of Midwest hunting paid dividends to see him do that.
Don’t be a stranger my friend.

brdyhll

I’m a little late seeing this. I’m 36 years old and still remember the days when my dad would come in before school on a Friday and ask me if I wanted to skip to go hunting with him. He’s been gone for almost 5 years now and I think about those hunts often. Now I have a son who is turning 10 as well who absolutely loves hunting and when the chance arrives I let him skip a day or two also. Plus after Covid you can log onto your phone or computer on lunch’s and they can do some school work if needed. Take him. My fondest memories of my dad were made in the woods and I hope my sons will say the same about me

pottydoc

increase we were looking at to continue our Midwest lease. The good news is I still have some private property free ground in the area that will easily allow me to hunt this coming fall. The issue is I feel a little unsafe hanging stands alone, being there alone etc even though I am very careful and I use harnesses. The enjoyment of going has always been the fellowship with each other more so than the hunting. The hunting was gravy on top.

My oldest son will be 10 at the time and he is begging to go with me. He doesn't want to hunt himself...he just wants to experience the midwest until he gets to a proper size/strength for a compound. I am starting to consider it just because life is short, it is safer to have someone around in case something happens, and he still thinks I hung the moon. Not sure this will apply in a few years when girls and other priorities enter his life. I have several spots where I could easily put a lock on right next to me or adjacent to me in a tree. I use lifelines as well so he will be hooked in at all times. I also have some ground blinds we could both easily fit in. He will have to miss some school of course. What are your thoughts...is this a dumb idea on my part? He is a very good little hunter, quiet, and is ahead of his years in maturity level. I know school is important but enjoying the outdoors is more important isn't it?
Take him with you. He won’t remember the school he missed, but he will have memories together about hunting with Dad. And so will you. I’ve killed a pile of deer in my lifetime
, but watching my sons, then stepsons, kill their first deer, first buck, and all the ones after that are the ones that I cherish.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm thinking the worse thing that happened is, when timber companies let private concerns handle leasing their properties for hunting. With those people, it's all about how much money they can squeeze out of us. When questioned about extreme increases from year to year it's the same old song. The demand is raising the price. In my opinion, they are trying to see what the limit is. Because when all of us working folks give it up. There won't be enough wealthy people to lease all that will be available. then, the price may drop. The lease I have and have had going on 37 years now, has a local who keeps driving up the price in hopes of running us off. He offers more, and we have to pay what he offered to keep it. Next year, he may drive it up again. I have a name for people like that and it's not sportsman.

Attachments

• full slough.jpg
    full slough.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 14

basshappy

BANNED
@Son given the length of the lease you have enjoyed have you thought about talking with the landowner preemptively? Maybe figure out how many more years you would like to lease the land and put together a contract for X number of years? Lock in a rate, even if there is an increase every so many years.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We once did that, but now we don't get to talk to the company who owns the land. And now at my age, thinking about letting an old time member who is always there to help, take the club over. He's a local and could best manage.