Tent Campers! Let's See What You've Got!

BlackKnight755

BoxCallWillie

letsgohuntin

Great post! My son is 4 years old now and I have really been wanting to get into tent camping now to get him in the outdoors.

BoxCallWillie

Thats great ,
get your son out camping .
Go easy on him make everything easy and fun
and he will love it, make it hard on him or scare
him and he will hate it .

I did this with my son, just fooling around with him
one night while we camped. I hid from him ,he started
crying for me, I came out from behind the big oak tree
he turned every color he wasn't supposed to be .
I shouldnt have done that at least untill he got older
Had a hard time getting him to go again with me.
He's grown now , we still sometimes bring this up and laugh about it now, but he wasn't tickeld then ...

My Dad took me out snipe hunting one night with a croaker
sack and left me I was around 5, I finely got mad and stomped home a couple hrs later . Gave him heck for quiting the hunt with me so soon ... :rofl:

Have fun with your son , teach him all you know
1 day he'll return the favor to his son ...

God Bless
BCW

sharon

Be Careful with the little ones!!

I've loved reading this post...gives me hints for our next trip to the Cove! For all the "newbies", I thought I'd give a suggestion. When you put your tarp up, try using short bungee cords, along with your rope to tie up to the tree. We use to tie straight to the tarp and would pop those grommets, right and left. Then, we started finding small, round rocks, doubling the tarp fabric over it and tying it off with a small rope (I'm talking the size of a nylon boot string). Then, we attach a short bungee cord to that. Both ends, at the tarp and at the tree, at some point, would have a short bungee cord as a "shock absorber". That way, when the wind gets up or the tarp fills with water, there's a give and not a pulling jerk. We've used the same 30' x 40' tarp now, for 6-8 years and not had a problem.
Also, a word of caution...we've camped throughout our 5 kids lives. When our youngest son (now 22) was about 6, we were in Cades Cove campground, tent camping. In the middle of the night, someone woke us out of a dead sleep, saying, we've found your little boy and we've brought him back to your campsite. It was 2:30AM and we didn't know what was going on...pitch black, groggy...When I got the tent open, the couple was gone and Jordan was standing in his boxers, crying. We ask him all the questions...no answers. He had walked in his sleep before, but only at our house and very seldom. We stayed up till daylight and visited every surrounding campsite to see who had found him and what the situation had been. Needless to say, we were frantic, thinking every negative thought. That afternoon, we were leaving in the car and met a young couple walking to the bathroom. Jordan said, "That's the people that brought me back last night". We stopped and got the whole story...they had been to Pigeon Forge to a rodeo, got back late and was walking up to the bathrooms next to our site. They heard crying off at the back of the campground in the woods behind the maintenance area of the campground (about 100 yards from our site). They went to look and found Jordan. He told them that he had to go to the bathroom and couldn't find his way. Thank God, they were good, decent folks and they brought him back to the tent...it could've been soooo much worse, not to mention getting lost in the Smokies. From then on, we used some tiny padlocks to lock the zippers down in the tent. We're the only ones I know to this day, that ever locked a tent, but it was well worth the peace of mind. BTW, he's never walked in his sleep since that night!! Good luck with camping...just watch those babies!!
I've posted our set-up now that's just me and my best half! The tent has plenty of standing room and enough space for 4 to sleep comfortably. We sleep on cots that we've had about 25 years...they've got springs under the pad, so they make for really good sleeping!!

Attachments

• Camping trip to the Cove-05-08 (9).jpg
    Camping trip to the Cove-05-08 (9).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 1,819

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great set-up Jeff. That is what I would call "the good life". You are reknown for doing things well.

Some of my fondest memories have been of family camping trips.
We lived in coastal GA and always headed to the GA mountains for two whole weeks in August.

Always packed our gear in a boat which enabled us to fish, and ski, along with the joy of the total outdoor experience. We hiked, stream fished, picked huckleberries, gathered wildflowers, ID'd tree and plant specimens, bathed in cold mountain streams, drank water from cold mountain springs, caught spring lizzards, crawfish, and seigned minnows for bait, watched bears take our cooler containing our chicken intended for tomorrows dinner, slept in a secure tent and listen to the rain beating on the tent, picked apples from local orchards, bought veggies from local gardeners, and the list goes on

Most of our camping was primitive. Folks shudder at the thought of not having "facilities". I shudder at the thought of camping at a spot where people are packed in like sardines.

The most difficult part of our camping experience was having to pack up, make the trip back home, then get back to the grind.

Happy camping all!

PS: We now live in the lovely spot where we camped over a period of thirty plus years.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Enjoyed your post Mr. Vernon! I too, like to get away from the crowds. A lot further.

GMARK

Great post Jeff. Thanks for the pics. That's a nice looking set up.

I have two boys. My Dad and I have camped out with them many times with the Royal Ambassadors and Boy Scouts.

greene_dawg

P1020652.jpg

Home away from home. Sierra Designs clip flashlight... This was on Panther Creek Trail near Clayton and this next one was at Pine Mtn Trail...

P1020190.jpg

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Great post Vernon!

In my more stealthy days, I roughed it but have learned to be more, well let's say "resourceful", rather than spoiled or soft!

There is an art form to selecting a camping spot at a park where you feel isolated despite the sometimes crowded conditions. I have even gone so far as to pay for the spot adjacent to the one we occupy but usually we've been able to find one at the end of a row or tucked back out of the way.

Admittedly, we enjoy running water and electricity more than we should!:)

Good looking camps everyone!

Georgiagator

I have a coleman two room tent or you can make it just a one room with a screen in porch it has two doors one that is inside where ya sleep and one where the screen room is at We always use a window a.c. in the one that goes into the sleeping area when it is hot Always works out just fine Going camping up in Franklin N.C. this weekend looks like it will be cool enough to leave the A.C. home Just hope the weather stays dry:flag:

zach987

here is a shot of ours on a "chickie" in the okefenokee swamp and in the port st joe state park. my bride was not with us in the swamp just a couple of buddies. if it is just me and ethan we use the 3 man. if it is all of us we use the coleman 10x12 and use the 3 man as a gear tent. it works good for us. i guess i am getting old because i cant handle the ground anymore, gotta have an air mattress to get any sleep !!!

I'd recognize Port St Joe anywhere!!! We usually make reservations to camp there near the beginning of scallop season.

:offtopic:
Does anyone else have a problem when tent camping in a RV Spot?

CCGA

this was our set up a couple of years back at Sapelo Island. No sign of rain so we didnt put up a tarp.Just two of us in the green tent. I have a big cot that I use and it takes up a good bit of room.All the cooking stuff packs into the black box with the water jug on it(If you put it in right)

Attachments

• 017_08A.jpg
    017_08A.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 1,283

soopadoopa

Hey, what kind of setup is that "hanging tent", and where did you get it. I like the looks of it and we already have a canopy.

cj5 buggy

here is ours. it's a tough one. i can't for the life of me remember the name brand though.

camp.jpg

camp1.jpg

front porch, can have divided room if you want also.

this is why we need the divided room. he'll get on the bed and push you off. :rofl:

DSCF0838.jpg