Pontoon Boat

SWAMPFOX

I'm thinking of moving up to a pontoon boat since I have at least 4 folks including my 2 grandsons who like to go fishing with me. I'm looking at buying used.

What are some the pitfalls I need to be aware of? From what I can tell most all decks are carpeted. Other than feeling for soft spots under the carpet, how do I determine the quality of what lies beneath? Also is there anyway to determine if the pontoons have pinholes in them?

Thanks.

bilgerat

Senior
find one with a aluminum or composite deck . Look under the deck, to see what its made of. and only way to check for pinholes is to pressure test the toons.

BassRaider

When I had a pontoon, it was new so never had issue with deck or the toons. Depends on size, concerns would be towing and storage. Weather will do damage real quick. Good luck with choice, they are fun to have!

j_seph

Get the biggest engine you can

BDD

My also want to consider Deck boats, a friend has a 21 foot he bought at Bass Pro w/ a 225 Merc.
Seats 11 very comfortably.

Stroker

Carpet is about to become a thing off the past for pontoon boats with many manufactures going strictly to a new product called sea grass. Sea grass is a textured flooring that doesn't mold, hold sand or mud, cleans up with a wash down from your garden hose, shows no wear pattern, and is claimed to be resistant to gas and oil. All manufactures pressure test their pontoons for leaks after assembly. All quality manufactures now use marine grade plywood as a decking and give it a life time warranty. I'm in the business so feel free PM me for any additional questions or guidance.

James