jon boat deck modification!!!

M_Hill49

I have a 14' jon boat, im about to start building the perminint deck. I was just wondering what size aluminum angle I should use for the deck support. I believe it is 1" aluminum angle, but not sure. also wondering wha size marine grade plywood i should use as well?

Fishlipps Revisited

i prefer overkill on anything that gets stressed alot, or supports a lot of weight.....

1" might be OK for vertical support, but, i'd want 1.5 or 2" for horizontal bracing...

for plywood, especially something that will get walked/stood on, i use 3/4" ..

it all depends on how much bracing you'll have over a given area...

Jason Taylor

Do a little research as far as advantages/disadvantages of marine vs pressure treated.I like Square vs angle in all my builds I use 1.5 on my horizontals and 3/4 on verticals both in 16 ga. aluminum.Also when using aluminum stainless screws are a must as steel fasteners will not last when attached to aluminum.Also if you do end up using pressure treated there must be some sort of "barrier" between the raw aluminum and the deck...Good luck

M_Hill49

ok i think i got it all figured out... but just wondering what size thickness you guess used for your alumium angle..
1x1x.125
1x1x.1873
1x1x.25

1.5x1.5x.125
1.5x1.5x.1873
1.5x1.5x.25

i got witch one im goin to use just need to know what size thickness to use..

rolloman

1/8" normally, you can always add a down brace. Don't get things too heavy on that boat or it will sit lower in the water. Brace just enough to do it and no more. Overkill can be a bad thing with that boat. I wouldn't worry about using aluminum with treated plywood either.