Upcoming trip to Helen, GA

Robert_Lee

So the wife, 2 kids (boy 6, girl 4) and I are going to Helen this weekend Fri-Mon. I haven't been to Helen in 20 years so I need help. I need recommendations on what to do while there or can't miss restaurant ideas. Are there any public areas to trout fish anymore or is it all public? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

grif

We went last year when my kids were 6 and 8. There's a little place in town where kids can "mine for gems." You pay for a bucket of dirt with some "gems" in it and the kids sift through it in a trough full of water. I figured this to be absolutely ridiculous. The kids said that was the best thing about the trip.

Be sure and visit Anna Ruby Falls while you're there - if you don't mind a little walking.

Miniature golf and a bunch of overpriced stores full of t-shirts and trinkets. Ain't much else there.

GoldDot40

Take an umbrella. As mentioned, Anna Ruby Falls...also head on up to Brasstown Bald. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the weather is going to allow you to enjoy Helen's full potential this Memorial Day weekend.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there is a little water park and putt putt there. If the boy would stand for it, you might take your daughter over to Cleveland to Baby Land General. Anna Ruby Falls is nice, but I doubt a 4 y/o making the hike by themselves. Hardman Farms just opened. I haven't seen it yet myself. Smithgall Woods is nice too.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
As far as eating goes, my favorites are The Deer Lodge (cash only) and Cowboys & Angels.

if you are going to The Deer Lodge, get there at least 45 minutes before they open. That way, you won't have to wait for a table but about 1-1/2 hours.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
My advice is to drive straight through and don't stop! Smithgall woods aint far up the road..... Thats as close as you need to be to the tourists trap!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
My advice is to drive straight through and don't stop! Smithgall woods aint far up the road..... Thats as close as you need to be to the tourists trap!

That's the best advice anyone could give you. I swear, in 40 years of living in close proximity of it, I've never once seen anything appealing about Helen.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Don't let the bashing deter you. Helen is a tourist trap but it's a good place for a family weekend. I hope you've already rented a cabin somewhere close. When we go up we rent a cabin. It's a good home base. There's a lot more to do in the area than just hang out in town. Anna ruby falls is a must see.

Its basically a flea market in Helen. You will find no shortage of dragon statues, swords, dream catchers and Minnetonka Moccasins. Fudge and no parking is about all else you will find. The traffic into Helen sucks too. Besides the Neon donuts clogging the river, if you are still adamant about going, Id approach from the West, It is usually better traffic wise. That way while you are on that side you can turn left to see Anna Ruby (have cash on you as its pay entrance) and the lil produce stand off to the left on that road has good boiled peanuts.

KDarsey

If you go to Anna Ruby here is a tip. If you don't have a State Park Pass then go past the left turn to Anna Ruby, cross the lake & take the next left. Go straight thru to the end of the road & go right. (this gets you past the $5 SP kiosk)
I support the State Parks but I don't think you should have to pay $5 just to drive thru to get to Anna Ruby. (and if you stop by any library you can check out a State Park Pass free)

KDarsey

Another thing as for parking. Look for Hoffers Bakery & resturant. If you are headed north it is on your right just as you pass the main part of town. Turn right next to Hoffers before you pass it. There is a free parking lot at the top of the hill on your right.

champ

We live in Cleveland and never go to Helen. All I really know is what I read and hear about the town and how much it's changed recently. I believe the Shriners even got away from it for a while. Unfortunately, most of what everyone is saying here, parallels with the general public opinion on the Town.

KDarsey

We live in Cleveland and never go to Helen. All I really know is what I read and hear about the town and how much it's changed recently. I believe the Shriners even got away from it for a while. Unfortunately, most of what everyone is saying here, parallels with the general public opinion on the Town.

Same here. About as far as we go is to the 'Cellar'. We go to Corneilia, Clarksville or Dahlonega to eat. Sometimes in Cleveland.

Duff

Big Daddy’s has good food and the Mexican restaurant is pretty good as well. As mentioned Deer Lodge is near by. You can take Richard Russell hwy across the mtn in Blairsville (30 min ride). Michael Lee’s Italian food is the best. Very very good. Plus, it a great scenic ride to get there. If you want to grill, Betty’s Country Store has excellent meats and anything else you’ll need.

There are plenty of pubic areas to fish in town, plus the entire river inside Chatahoochee WMA.

Take in the Hardman Farm across the road from the Indian Mound. They also just opened a nice 1 mile concrete trail along the river. Very flat and the kids can bike it.

The mtn man

I'm originally from that area, there is nothing in Helen that I would be interested in, it's basically a well advertised tourist trap. The little shop sale over priced junk basically. However there are lots of things outdoorsy to do in the general area, you have Anna ruby falls, dukes creek falls, high schoal falls, so on and so on. I've seen 4 year olds hiking all of these no problem, I guess it depends on the 4 year old. As for fishing, the entire river up through the wma is public fishing. I would go to Cherokee if I wanted to go just for fishing hatchery supported streams, plus Cherokee has a broader selection of overpriced Samari swords, Dragon statues, and moccasins. And you can see some methed out locals do an "authentic" Cherokee dance under a metal shed, when they pass the hat around begging for money for their 12 kids they tell you they can't support, it is not required to donate. They get a good check every month, so don't worry.

Robert_Lee

:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should have stated that we have rented a cabin outside of Helen. I was just looking for things to do in the area not necessarily in Helen. The parks and things to visit, outdoor kind of things. But it looks like we have chosen an indoor kind of weekend. facepalm:facepalm: