Red dot survey

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Burris FF3 and love it. I change the battery out every season so can't comment on how long one would last. As far as holding zero it hasn't failed me yet and i love the different brightness options.
Sorry, i can't comment on the Vortex as i've never used one.

turkeykirk

Fastfire 3 is the only one I've used. Works great so far.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Burris FFIII. Haven't used Vortex, but the customer service at Burris is as good as any I've experienced. The FFIII can be bought delivered for under $200. The factory cover can be left in place during inclement weather. While the unit itself is waterproof, a drop of water on the emitting diode will distort the dot. This is true any electronic dot systems that aren't in a tube. The removable protective cover acts as a tube. Gil

Gaswamp

either one will be fine

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
As others have already pointed out, the Burris FFIII is an excellent choice for turkey hunting and the one experience that I've had with their customer service was very positive.

However, I wasn't familiar with the Vortex Venom when I was in the market for a quality red dot and after taking a look at it and reading the many good reviews, it looks like a solid choice as well. Maybe flip a coin?

Steve Roberts

I have both, and you can't go wrong with either one!!! I like the 10 different levels of brightness the Vortex Venom has, but it doesn't have a see through cover, and the FF3 does. Venom goes out in real low light, FF3 doesn't. FF3 will fit in a optic protector with the cover on, and the Venom want. The nod would go to the FF3!!!

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I am sure you would be happy with either one, but the FF3 that I have on my daughters gun is pretty sweet!

deast1988

Ive had ff2/ff3 redfield reactor. I'm switching over to Leupold Turkey Plex. I like redots but I found the 1.5-4 mag range to better suit me.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
If price not a factor, the Trijicon RMR would head the pack. The FF3 has served its purpose for me the past 5 seasons. Gil

Bubba_1122

I shoot a 20 gauge 870 with home rolled TSS #9's.

Have a Millet red dot on it.

The Millet ain't sexy, but it sure is deadly (also cost $55).

Have limited with it in last 2 years. .

They were DRT - no flap.

ryanwhit

I have 2 ff3s. One has a nice small round red dot. The other has a bigger squarish red dot.

I would not hesitate to buy another but I also am aware that this is not an elite product. I have no experience with the vortex red dot but based on my experience with their other products, I would not hesitate to buy one but I also am aware that they are not an elite product manufacturer.

FWIW, both my Docters are perfect, though one of them did loose zero somehow this year which nearly resulted in a miss. YMMV.

DRBugman85

Why not use the bead on the barrel it comes with the shotgun and never needs a battery and never is distorted in bad weather. It's work for 50 years for me and cost very little if knock off.It amazes me that someone can't shoot a gobbler in the head at 40 yards.:deadhorse:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Why not use the bead on the barrel it comes with the shotgun and never needs a battery and never is distorted in bad weather. It's work for 50 years for me and cost very little if knock off.It amazes me that someone can't shoot a gobbler in the head at 40 yards.:deadhorse:

I'm in triple vision glasses now. I could either focus on the bead and the bird be a blur or focus on the bird and lose the bead. That's my reason for getting a red dot.

DRBugman85

I'm in triple vision glasses now. I could either focus on the bead and the bird be a blur or focus on the bird and lose the bead. That's my reason for getting a red dot.
That is a good enough reason to spend the $ then.:biggrin2: Can't killem if ya can't see em.

Steve Roberts

Because its America, and for now we have choices till the establishment politicians take them away!!! :bounce: