Golf Cart Battery Charger to use when dead

BuckinFish

Hey guys,

Could someone recommend a battery charger and size (12V...?) that I should use when my 48v batteries go dead after leaving town for too long? I have a Yamaha, and I am considering getting a new Lester battery charger, but my current one that came with the cart will not kick on if my batteries go below 46v.
I need a charger to manually charge each battery to get them up above a total of 44-46v. I have looked at harbor freight, but any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

thanks

southernman13

Hook up your cart charger and then seperatley hook up another 12v charger to just one battery at a time. Do not disconnect any of the wires. Your regular charger should come on after a few minutof charging. You could put a volt meter on each battery individually prior to turning on any of your chargers. U may find one battery that's lowers than the others if so that's a good place to hook up the 12v charger. Again even when checking each battery you do not have to disconnect any of the wires

BuckinFish

Great info! Thanks SM!

rjcruiser

Just an fyi...letting your batteries go totally dead will significantly shorten the lifespan. I'd recommend always leaving it plugged in when not in use.

transfixer

I'm not familiar with Yamaha chargers, but if yours doesn't have a "float charge" provision, get yourself a ' Save a battery ' maintainer, plug it in after your regular charger shuts off, less than $100 on Amazon, and will extend the life of your batteries.