Tree stand or ground blind for summertime hogs....

jfarrell30339

I'm getting ready to check out some new property round about Macon that I have access to. I'm gonna be trying to collect some bacon over the summer and I'm wondering if the ground blind or a tree stand is going to be my best chance.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It depends, if I’m hunting over a feeder or a baited area I’d use a tree stand if no bait I’d never sit still !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've done much better sneaking around into the wind that I have sitting and waiting. If you have a feeder out and know when they're coming, waiting can work.

Hillbilly stalker

Put the wind in your face and slip thru the thick shady stuff. Go in there an get em !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I'd keep wind in my face and slip. Too hot to sit.

It depends, if I’m hunting over a feeder or a baited area I’d use a tree stand if no bait I’d never sit still !

I've done much better sneaking around into the wind that I have sitting and waiting. If you have a feeder out and know when they're coming, waiting can work.

What these guys said......you’ll pretty much have no chance down wind. But if you keep into it, you may run into them.....best of luck:cool:

greg_n_clayton

and besides all that.....they will not be moving until after dark. they will be laying in the mud, under a bank or somewhere in shade. in these parts, they like branches and under rocks.

BowArrow

Boots on the Ground

I recently decided to try the hogs at Fort Stewart and do a little scouting before the up coming deer season. I have read some post on this site and talked to Pennsylvania and Maryland hog hunters at FS in February. All say you need to put some boots on the ground walking into the wind. I did that one day this week at FS and although I did not get a shot, I did see a dozen. My only problem was at eighty years old, I could hardly put my foot on the floor the next morning because of aching joints and muscles. FS is 280,000 acres and if I live another fifty years, I might be able to scout some of the areas. As soon as I recover, I will try again some time next week.