I am presuming rabbits did this or maybe crows

j_seph

I started a while back from seed and had over 30 mater plants growing and 20 something pepper plants. Babied em, rotated grow lights and such. Uncle came over with tractor and plowed, then I borrowed a tiller and worked my butt off with it. Wife and I planted them, got a couple days to water em then in less than a week every single one of them are GONE except 2 mater plants

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Got groundhogs?

specialk

this is I cant grow squat at my house....deer and rabbits......I gave up....hit the farmers market when season rolls in.....

ryanh487

I wouldn't even attempt a garden without 6-8 feet high hogwire around it. deer would have it picked clean by the first sunrise after i planted it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A groundhog will go through a garden like a weedeater. They're worse than deer.

Stroker

If it's happening at night my money is on the deer.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Were the plants pulled up completely or bit off?

baddave

I've got to have cages .. 100' roll X 4' .. my deer can't get to them until they reach the top .. my garden near the house has deer net around it .. a deer could jump it easy but they don't .. i make cages to have about an 18" diameter

Killdee

Look for tracks, if deer or rabbits Animal Away from Walmart helps, don't know whats in it but it irritates my nose from 6' above it when sprinkling it in the garden. It helped me last fall when critters were clipping off my collards. never had an issue with my tomatoes so much but did see a few leaves and branches clipped off last year at deer browse height.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another possibility is cutworms.

280bst

Little off topic 1st time I sprayed liquid Sevin & a little miracle gro mixed together I noticed Deer quit coming for Dinner. Had tracks down middle of pea rows didn't touch anything. Follow directions for the Sevin miracle-gro sparingly

trents99

Similar thing here. Pepper plants got cleaned of every leaf two days after planting. Made some chicken wire cages for them and that stopped. Well then they just moved on to the maters. I figured it was rabbit since I have a scuttle hole in the fence and have seen one race out of the yard in the early mornings, like 3am early. Put two owl decoys in there on the ground and no problems since.

We are covered up with deer so i put up a 6 foot fence with 30lb monofilament around it. No deer issues.

j_seph

I planted 4 more mater plants 6 more pepper I bought from store and dug a smaller garden next to house and haven't had no problems yet. Just turned the bigger area into a corn patch hopefully.