10min stalk in 4 min

dm/wolfskin

I don't know when I can tell the whole story but here's a short version of a ten minute stalk Friday night on video. Got to take David to the Doctor for a check up where he fractured his nose at baseball practice last week on a bad hop. Turn ya volume up and go to full screen.

Jan. 29,2016 I started this hunt at 10:30 pm. I haven't had much luck of finding any pigs during the daylight hours since Sept. As I was getting my gear on at my truck I hear a squeal coming from the corn field. This corn for the most part is still standing but all the rain and flooding has kepted it in the field. Bad for farming but good for the critters who eat it especially pigs. I get "Spirit" strung and check my light and playsport to see if they're on the same alignment. They don't always stay there while stalking. As I head toward the corn a pig runs into the corn. Boy this is going to be a quick hunt. This stalk was well over 10 minutes going through the corn and I cut most of it off to post. Anyway as I walked down the edge of the field shining my light down the rows of corn, it explodes of many pig hoofs from the West and heading toward the East. I keep my light down one row of corn and there they go, 15 or more of those porkers. The wind was blowing to the West and this group was above me. I could still hear grunts coming from the corn to the East. This busted group was going in that direction too. I cut on my playsport and start walking into the corn. I have two green lights. One on the bow and one for my hand. The one in my hand is the one I have on right now. As you can see from the video I'm scanning back and forth and looking down the rows up and down. I finally spot a pig in front of me but wrong angle so I keep scanning the corn as I ease up a little closer and wait for the pig to move forward to give me the angle. As soon as the pig moved forward my arrow was gone. The pig crashed through the corn field heading North. I immediately got some toilet paper and some yellow flagging tape out to mark my shooting spot and to mark the impact spot. As I was doing this I had a bunch of small pigs show up in front of me. I got my bow off the ground but no good shot angle and off they went.
After a few hours of searching with no sign at all I headed home to my wood stove and bed. I would go back in the morning and look. I had a old lighted nock on the arrow but it didn't come on. Also had some reflector tape on my arrow that Jeff gave me at a SGTP shoot.

Jan.30, 2016 I got down to farm after 10am and right off the bat I see a buzzard at the tree line and it lights on a dead tree in some thick privet hedge. I'm thinking my pig is right there. Wrong! It was just a decoy from the buzzard. I walked and hunted 3 hours and no pig to be found. My shot had sounded hard a deep but it's hard to tell exactly where you hit. I went home to stay with David as Rhonda went to her Dad's to help with some things. We lost her Mom back in November. David fracture his nose at baseball practice. Anyway fast forward to Sunday night.

Jan. 31, 2016 It was after 10:30 before I get down there. I walk through the corn where the pigs have been eating but nothing. I head down to the river side and have this strange noise coming from the woods moving toward me. It sounds like a bird sound but it's a bandit, rocky raccoon. It stops and looks at me with a beam of green light in its eyes. It starts toward me and I'm thinking maybe rabies. I yell hey and few times and it turns and goes back into the woods. As I walk between the corn and river I see some pigs out in the corn where the corn has been washed away from the flooding and down stalks from the pigs. They knows something up and move out into the corn and I lose them. This is at 12 midnight. I walk around the whole 72 acres of corn and work my way back to the truck with no pig seen or heard. As I get within 70 yards of my truck while walking down the road I spot some eyes up the hill less than 75 yards away. They are not deer or pigs eyes. Maybe a rabbit or a house cat. I gots to know. (Clint Eastwood movie) I back up a little and head up the hill. This hill has a few gullies in it and it was clear cut last year. As I get closer it looks like a stick with some reflective tape on it. No animal eyes. I start to turn around and go to the truck but something in the back of my mind makes me go a little closer. Dang that stick has fletching on it. It's my arrow from Friday night. I keep walking to my arrow and see that a big old sow has it in her side. She probably went a 150 yards from my shot but in a direction away from the river bottom. The buzzard had me looking the wrong way. The buzzards get to keep it. The bad news is a friend won't get any pig meat. The good news is one dead pig.
Add one more critter for "Spirit".

Attachments

• P2011535.jpg
    P2011535.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 175
  • P2011536.jpg
    P2011536.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 175
  • P2011537.jpg
    P2011537.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 175
  • P2011539.jpg
    P2011539.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Barry Duggan

Them pigs will never learn. Good stuff Mikey.

dm/wolfskin

I've only seen one group hogs during daylight hours since September but plenty of sign so they're moving at night and late at night where I'm hunting.