Coyote shotgun loads

Osceola Guy

Looking for options on different 12 gauge loads, I can hunt coyotes with. My father and I put up some blinds covering the edges of several food plots in attempt to double team on coyotes. He definitely wants to carry a rifle but I want to carry my Benelli M2 out. Our blinds are an average of 25 yards apart so safety is in tact. I have plenty of #4 buck in my drawer but this year I picked up some lead bb to try patterning. Any thoughts on a good load for fast shots and enough KO too

Philbow

Out to about 50 yards the heavier than lead #4 or #5 turkey loads will kill them "really most sincerely" dead. (If they pattern well in your shotgun.)

Barebowyer

I have killed several with my M2. #4 buck did wonderful on the last two, prior to that the coyote T's also performed well

Big7

The Oracle
What you want is lead BB (double b shot)

Since the ferocious attack on water fowl they were outlawed.

I bought a skid, about 20 boxes @ $4.00 a box a few years ago.
Before the ban, they were $15.00 per box.

That is your shotgun fodder for yotes'.

Might put a few boxes in the classifieds soon.
Be looking.

Osceola Guy

I went out yesterday and patterned the lead bb's and they threw evenly up to forty yards about 14-18 inches. With the 4 buck I can reach out to 50-55 yards with similar pattern density just fewer pellets. All I had to try patterning with the bbs were Hornady. Wish I had some other brand to try also.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

JohnK

I went out yesterday and patterned the lead bb's and they threw evenly up to forty yards about 14-18 inches. With the 4 buck I can reach out to 50-55 yards with similar pattern density just fewer pellets. All I had to try patterning with the bbs were Hornady. Wish I had some other brand to try also.

That's tight. I've never been able to get that small a group at 40 yards much less 50. One thing I've had trouble with is if the group is too tight when they get up close there is no pattern to speak of and that's why I have the shotgun in the first place. I've missed more up close than far away......they bug out when you miss for sure.
Here is about 100 pages of coyote shotgun information:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351#Post777351

Osceola Guy

Not sure how the other bb's(fliers) patterned cause the plywood I used was 18 inches and no backstop. Got around half on target. I found the Hornady bb load likes a skeet choke after trying it, Improved cylinder and a Modified choke.

deerpoacher1970

What choke did you shoot when you got the good pattern with #4 buckshot,and what brand of buckshot where you shooting if you don't mind sharing a little information.

Osceola Guy

What choke did you shoot when you got the good pattern with #4 buckshot,and what brand of buckshot where you shooting if you don't mind sharing a little information.

Be glad to share the info on 4 buck as well. Remington 3 inch shells pattern best with an extra full flush .685, tried full .695 and it was alittle more open at 50 yards than I liked. Next time I go out patterning will try the modified.705, I got. All my chokes for the M2 are Benelli flush tubes. The best pattern with 4 buck I've ever witnessed in this gun ever was Federal powershok 4 buck with long range Patternmaster, ran completely out of them and have so many boxes of Remmy's I can't make myself buy anymore 4 buck right now.

Osceola Guy

Has anyone tried Winchester copper bb varmit loads? Would be interested in how they performed and what make/model shotgun .