Kansas unit 3 and 7

biged156

Put in for Kansas tags this year for the first time. We have a friend that has a farm in Downs Kansas that we are hunting if we get drawn. How is the hunting up there and whats the chances we get drawn?

rstallings1979

There are good deer in the area. My first time to the Midwest and we hunted public land around Stockton (west of downs) and made our way up towards Norton. There is a bow shop I think in Norton that has some impressive deer ranging from 160-195 typical so I know there are good deer in the area. The problem is you need to find the timber in that area.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I have not hunted that particular part of KS. Take a Blind and don't be afraid to use it. Find some CRP and you will find trails. Forget everything you know about hunting deer in these parts other than hunting the wind. Have good gear because it will be cold but the wind is what will get you. Good Optics and some patience. You are missing the "Best day" the 7th. lol. Good luck and Happy Hunting in KS.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
You are a Pretty good ways north of me. Not much timber on our farm either though. Luckily we have adapted to using twisted and leaning trees the best we can. Screw in steps work great as long as the landowner doesn't mind. (remember they don't cut timber there).

biged156

I will actually be in Missouri hunting on a farm from the 31st of this month so Ill be hunting on the 7th just not in Kansas. We have 13 loc-ons that we will have and I am looking into a blind... just bad luck with them in the past in Missouri. Thanks for the help though!