My Dad

iwantthegold

My father passed away recently and I just wanted to share something about him. At his eulogy I mostly spoke of other amazing qualities of his life, but here on the forum (his sn was geofff) he loved to read reports and see how long it took Randall to catch his next 10+ pig. Eventually I to became obsessed with fishing and the forum. I knew he would want me to say something.

My fathers' main goal in fishing life was to catch the holy grail a 10+ bass. He was born in New York and growing up his hobby/obsession was fishing. Unlike GA Ny could be called the land of 5,000 lakes. He used to tell me about biking 7-12 miles with a buddy of his to get to his favorite lakes to catch smallies, largemouth, and pike but he never got one(a largemouth) bigger than 7. You can tell that he loved his fishing. He showed me everything and I mean everything on how to catch fish when I was young. He used to take me on trips everywhere, until finally one day I started to out fish him (about age 12). This at first confused and frustrated him but eventually he figured out that I had in fact actually been paying attention to everything he had ever said about fishing.

I moved out of the country the year after high school and my dad decided to get a john boat. Of course this drove me crazy knowing that we had our own boat and I wouldn't be able to christen it with him. I kid you not the second after I got home from a 13 hour flight he had the boat all ready to go (which was my job forever after that :rolleyes::rolleyes: ). We went out to Stone Mtn obviously having not much of a clue but i got a nice one on a crank. That first fish from our boat was amazing having been bankfishermen his and my whole life. We started making our rounds to the lakes black shoals/varner/jw smith etc. and usually getting 1or 2 and mostly getting skunked ;) until we started going out with Randall and he clued us in on how to fish more than 30 yards off the bank :biggrin2:

First, I caught my personal best at the time with Randall 9-3 after a long cold windy march day with not many fish to speak of. It's amazing how a fish like that makes everyone in the boat forget about the rest of the day. Our catching ratio started to slowly go up and then he pulled a big one in during July that upped his pb to 8.4 (so close but an obsession is an obsession). A year later same time of year he hooks a hawg on a buzzbait no less (prob the most fun bait there is imo) praying that she wouldn't come off but the day was ours and the hook held. 10.2!! We were whooping and hollering like we had just won the bassmaster classic. Fishing goal in life check. He was one happy man and I was proud of him. His health started to decline pretty badly in these last two years but he still got out and fished a little and even had a chance to up his pb to 11.2, now I have something to shoot for.

He had many words of wisdom that he passed down to me and I know I will eventually pass on to my children. One of them was to always set goals for yourself and try to achieve them. Daily goals/Religious goals/Sports goals. He would say that a man without a goal in life is a man that is cheating his own potential. I have my girlfriend, but he was my rock in life and my best fishing buddy. It's going to be tough going out there this coming spring without him but I know he is looking down on me always.

This I for sure know. If you have never caught a 10 he would like to bless everyone with a 10+ this year. Thanks for reading this and always remember how strong a bond between father and son can be if you take a kid fishing.

jmfauver

Thanks for posting,I know how hard it is to fish without your father,but in time you will have a new partner to continue your quest....

nkbigdog

I feel your pain...I to in my dad's later life wanted to fulfill his quest for a monster large mouth. We went down to Okeechobee I ended up getting the big one on Gold Shiners. But what is more important is that we had a great time. Every time I go fishing I have fond memories of he and I that day. I will never forget the fond memories. God Bless.

Cletus T.

Man….I cannot even imagine not having my Dad in my life and I know it has to hurt really bad but it sounds like he was a great man and he shared and passed down his passion of fishing to you and in a way, every time you go fishing now you are having fellowship with your Dad and you are also honoring him with every fish you catch!

You are the man you are today because your father invested himself into your life and that has to make you smile a little bit. I didn’t know your Dad but he sounds like a great Father!

Sorry for your loss but what a great tribute you just gave to him!!!

trickworm

Your Dads spirt will be in the back of the boat with you . He will point you to the right spot for sure . stay strong in life. Sorry for your loss

riprap

My dad passed when I was 14 and I think about him everytime I go to the lake, especially West Point. I still fish in the same general areas we fished then, even if they are not that good anymore, I still have to give them a try. I have been pulling a boat consistently to the lake since I was 16 yrs old (34 now). No way could I have done that without paying close attention to my dad. He made sure everything was always ready to go and in good condition before a trip to the lake. Always checking batteries, tires and making sure the motor was ready to go. My wife always asks, "why does it take you so long to get ready?" A non boater should be really thankful to their buddy for taking them because there is a lot more that goes into having a smooth day on the water than just gas.

I think one of the best things my dad taught me was to do it yourself. He may have let me reel in one or two, but if I was getting whipped, I just took a whoppin'. You learn real quick to change up and figure out a way to catch em'. So many times now days it's all about having a good time and feeling good no matter the score.

My dad is always riding along in the boat with me, telling me when to slow down and watch that stump. His temper also comes out when the fish gets off too. Throwing your hat is mandatory.

Chris S.

Sorry to hear that about your father,he is still with you in SPIRIT and obviously had a great and positive impact in your life at all levels ...God bless you and your family and Good Luck with your next lunker as well.

Jason Taylor

I think we all have that one person who "got us started" in thishobby/obsession we call fishing.Man what a gift,the sport wouldnt be what it is today with out that dad,brother,uncle or friend that shared it with you.

Troutman3000

I too lost my dad when I was 14. He was a fishing machine as well and I cherish every memory I had with him. Matter of fact the last thing we did togather was clean up some old lures that were given to him by a co-worker.

It gets easier as time really does heal the wounds. He is with me every time I go fishing.

iwantthegold

Thank you to everyone. To riprap and troutman losing your dad at 14, I would not have been able to comprehend that. The most vivid memories I have with him are fishing and I can still remember catching my first fish on a cane pole. It's good to know he'll always be guiding me.

Troutman3000

All of my fishing memories with my Dad seem like they happened just yesterday. I still have his old jon boat in the back yard waiting to be redone. We must of caught hundreds of fish in that little 12 footer. Thats all we had so thats what I was used to. Sometimes I gotta think he's smiling seeing me zoom around Lanier with an outboard and a grin.

nickf11

Banned
So sorry to hear about your loss, but thanks for sharing a great tribute with us. I'm 20 and I still do the majority of my fishing with the old man. I can't even imagine not having him around.

But as everyone has said, time heals all wounds and he will always be in that boat with you!

Wishin I was Fishin

Man, that was a great tribute to your dad. Sorry for your loss, but you'll always have those great memories until ya'll reunite and get to go fishing again one day.

I love fishing with my dad, he aint so into fishing as he is hunting but he always took me when I was younger and begging him to go to the lake. I can still get him out on the water sometimes and I'm thankful that he takes the time to go with me and that he introduced me to the outdoors.

...Pardon me, I've gotta go make a phone call.