Need some help.. food plots

.303Hunter

I am wanting to start up some deer management on our farm. I hunt along with some family on 120 acres in Douglas county along the Chattahoochee river. We want to put in some year round food plots but have never done this before. What and when do we need to start planting. I know every on has there own brand preference. but any help in the right direction would be great. We have tractors and most any implement needed just didn't know what to plant when and where?? Thanks if you need any more info let me know so hopefully we can help the big boys hold on our property more..:banana:

Bdillon1

Im definitely no expert but Athens seed company has premixed seed available for cold seasons and warm seasons. The seed mixture is very productive in bringing in in deer. Having mixture also allows the other plants that take time to become palatable, to grow while still providing food for the deer. Basically it lets your plot withstand overgrazing.

http://www.athesseed.com

Last edited:

BPR

Do some reading in the food plot forum. Alot of good advice in there. The first thing you need to do is to think about lime and fertilizer. The sooner you get the lime on the ground the better. You can get a soil test done or just start with some basic amounts. Other things to think about is if you want to try to do annual plots or perenial plots. As for when to plant, it depends on what you want to plant. If you just want something for deer season wait until next fall. But if you want to provide year round food, then i would plant some in the spring and then again in the fall.

T-Bird

Do some reading in the food plot forum. Alot of good advice in there. The first thing you need to do is to think about lime and fertilizer. The sooner you get the lime on the ground the better. You can get a soil test done or just start with some basic amounts. Other things to think about is if you want to try to do annual plots or perenial plots. As for when to plant, it depends on what you want to plant. If you just want something for deer season wait until next fall. But if you want to provide year round food, then i would plant some in the spring and then again in the fall.

I agree your first step really is to get your soil tested and find out what your PH is because if your PH is good you might not even have to put lime down at all. but i totally agree with BPR for the most part!

easbell

Check out cooper seeds up in Laweranceville, I think. I have used them in the past. The step is to decide what you want from
Your food plot for? Providing year round food or just holding deer during the season. What shape is the property in? What is currently growing on the property? Do you bow hunt or just gun? And the big question..... How much money/time do you want to spend?