Squirrel Dog Training Stories

Brian Groce

I am new to the squirrel dog hunting world. My wife come home with a rat terrier 2 months ago. I take him to the woods 2-3 times a week. I have let him play with a squirrel hide. He will chase one to the tree and stay there looking up for it but no bark yet. He is now 7 months old. His name is Merle. He wants on the 4 wheeler if it craks ups. Here is a pic. Lets hear some stories about yours.:)

Attachments

• 041609merle.jpg
    041609merle.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,862

jmfdakaniterider2

My sons Black and Tan.

Her 1st 2 last year:fine::fine:

Attachments

• Molly's first tree rats 002.JPG
    Molly's first tree rats 002.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 1,164

Tpr 325

Brian--That's usually what a R T will do ,some will tree but a lot of them just run the sq up the tree and just look up the tree and not bark...Try a Fiest, they are bred to tree...There several Feist breeders up yourway........

Brian Groce

Brian--That's usually what a R T will do ,some will tree but a lot of them just run the sq up the tree and just look up the tree and not bark...Try a Fiest, they are bred to tree...There several Feist breeders up yourway........
He is still young. Just maybe. I can't get rid of him. My wife said I would have to go before him.
I hunted this year with a guy who hunts fiest. It done a great job.Liked him.:cheers:

Nga.

Get your RT to speak for treats up in your hand. when it runs one up a tree get it to speak and give it a treat making it bark more each time. Also tie it at the tree and walk out of sight get it to call you back making a big fuss when it does good. if it stops when your in sight turn around go back or stop.

Some will learn to tree others want, if your committed to the dog and have time and patience it may make you a solid sq dog.

jmfdakaniterider2

Tree dogs are Born not made!!!!!!!

howl

Banned
Dogs that don't bark on tree can sometimes be encouraged by tying them back from the tree. If they'll bark out of frustration to get to the tree you have them started barking on tree. Just have to encourage that until they get in the habit.

olhippie

....I haven't had that problem with not barking at the tree with my Decker Rat Terriers. But it seems a common complaint with the standard Rat Terriers...... I believe it is far easier to train a dog to target squirrel than it is to get them to consistently bark at the tree, if they are silent by choice...... In my limited experience, choosing a female to hunt with, if you have a Rat Terrier, would increase your odds for good barking at the tree. My Jinger has a wonderful bark at the tree, completely unique compared with her other vocalizations. She puts a high pitched yip in with her normally lower register bark (the bolder, more 'baritone', bark she uses to alert for a perceived intruder).If she's in my fenced yard, and I hear her barking, it is easy to know when it's squirrel or foe..