Question for the diggers on here.

jigman29

Just wondering how you go about finding bottle dump at old home sights? I know of quite a few old home sights here in the mountains and when I start detecting I was wondering what are the best places to start looking for them.

TimBray

Friend of mine had a slender steel rod (about 4' long)with a sharp point on one end and a roughly L-shaped handle to probe with. He would find a likely spot and push the probe in and listen for cans or bottles.

Walker44

General rule of thumb in New England was to the rear of the home then about 30 ft out usually there was a sink hole or small depression. Also if there is a stream or brook on the homesite at least 30 Feet down stream from the home.
Also look for creek or brook banks that are higher than the surrounding ones. In the north many banks were built up with old bottles to keep flooding back. In the early 1990's there was a huge fast melt and all the water ways ran over their banks, a few weeks later it was possible to walk along the banks and see the bottles just sticking out where the soil had been washed away. Good Luck