Trolling Motor Location

StriperrHunterr

I couldn't find a forum for this that stuck out to me, so mods please feel free to move it if there is one that's more appropriate.

As I mentioned in the other thread by another member, I got bit hard by the boat bug and am looking to get out of my DLV and into something more proper for my limitations. In doing so I'm looking at something that kind of mystified me about my DLV.

Maybe it's a bay boat/skiff thing, but most of the boats I've seen have their trolling motor receptacle on the starboard side of the boat, but mount their trolling motors on the port side creating a cable run across the deck. On its own that's not an issue, but if you're using it as a casting deck and why wouldn't you, then you have to worry about someone stepping on your cable and damaging it, the plug, or the receptacle.

A) Is there an advantage to having the motor installed on the port side and the receptacle on the starboard?

B) If not, why don't people install them on the starboard to keep cable runs as short as possible and mostly out of the way?

I'm asking so that when/if I can get a deal to work on someone purchasing my skiff I can ask to have the motor mounted on the same side as the receptacle, or have the receptacle relocated to get it out of the way.

Thanks in advance

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I couldn't find a forum for this that stuck out to me, so mods please feel free to move it if there is one that's more appropriate.

As I mentioned in the other thread by another member, I got bit hard by the boat bug and am looking to get out of my DLV and into something more proper for my limitations. In doing so I'm looking at something that kind of mystified me about my DLV.

Maybe it's a bay boat/skiff thing, but most of the boats I've seen have their trolling motor receptacle on the starboard side of the boat, but mount their trolling motors on the port side creating a cable run across the deck. On its own that's not an issue, but if you're using it as a casting deck and why wouldn't you, then you have to worry about someone stepping on your cable and damaging it, the plug, or the receptacle.

A) Is there an advantage to having the motor installed on the port side and the receptacle on the starboard?

B) If not, why don't people install them on the starboard to keep cable runs as short as possible and mostly out of the way?

I'm asking so that when/if I can get a deal to work on someone purchasing my skiff I can ask to have the motor mounted on the same side as the receptacle, or have the receptacle relocated to get it out of the way.

Thanks in advance

I'm right handed and usually have a fishing rod in that hand when I use my left to deploy my trolling motor.. Use the left for my remote as well.. Only thing I can come up with.. :huh:

KKrueger

On a bassboat often times the stowed trolling motor is way on the port side, then when deployed it makes a big swing to the starboard side. This is my best guess?

On my boat the plug is dead center(ish) as is the remote controlled trolling motor, but I do have more wire than I need laying there. I should shorten that up.