This is not going to go well

1gr8bldr

My tractor is broke so I rented a tiller for my skidsteer. Air conditioning will be nice however just took it for a test run. As tillers go, slooooow. This is going to take awhile. The fastest by far, is weeds, grass, up to 3ft high, I turn it under at a fairly fast pace. One pass, and no green is showing. Disc one time with a drag behind and it is ready for seed. Seed and set disk to ride rather than cut while dragging and done. My largest, 2.5 acre field, done in 2 hours and deep tilled for good root growth while putting "green" manure underneath. With this tiller, i'll be lucky to have 3 passes only 3 inches deep. I can see this same field taking 6+ hours and not nearly as good a job. The only thing better than a turn plow is a notill planter or a really heavy disc, pull behind, nothing you could lift. And I love turn plowing. Get it set up correctly and you can roll the field perfect, with no hands on the wheel.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Spent 6 hours in the 2.5 acre field. [Tiller on my skidsteer} Waste of time. You could not give me a tiller. All my friends now use a tiller for food plots. Supposedly a do all implement. I do not know why. October and even November are dry months. A shallow till promotes root growth on top, which will not survive a drought. And the "tonage" of food produced depends on the roots. And it's ability to keep up with the browsing. It's not just shallow, but slow.... and dry as a bone on top. In the past I turned in 3ft of weeds to become "green manure". Not only this but as it rots, it promotes moisture movement like veins. And when I roll it over, I immediately disc once, then plant. Within the hour. This gives me plenty of moisture without drying it out. I purposely don't overtill my plots. Maintaining moisture and less compaction is the reason. The deep turn will hold like a sponge all the rain it can get. And the thatch.... What a mess. You can't drag in your seed with any thatch. If you do even with a small amount of buildup, you will sweep your seed rather than cover it. Lesson learned. If I can't do it right, I won't waste my seed doing it wrong. Time to get my tractor fixed. I prefer to feed many deer, rather than most food plots I see that are the equivalent of painting the ground green. Blowing of some smoke after having wasted an entire day..... and no rain in sight. Here is a good video turning. The deeper you plow the more you cover. The faster you go, the more it rolls. This video, "Ford 5030 plowing pasture with 101 3 bottom plow" had it been me, I would have speed it up, from the beginning. Notice his rolls standing on end. But you need to get it right from the start.

Last edited: