Lake Nottely

chambers270

I am headed up to Lake Nottely to stay with a friend and was looking for some fishing information. I have never been there but was reading up and it looks like it has a good population of spotted bass and stripers. Figure I could figure out enough to catch some LM/Spots but really would love to try for a few stripers since I dont see them down here very often. I fish for LM alot in SE Georiga and catch a striper or hybrid once in a while by accident. But I was planning on spending some time just looking for stripers.

Are they in open water on the Lake this time of year or in creeks/river? Do they like a certain time of day best? I caught mine off of spinnerbaits and crankbaits, is that worth trying or should I only use live bait? And lastly do I need to look into planner boards and all of that, or can I just free line a few live baits?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

chambers270

Just got up here and fished a little bit but only caught one short. Local guy said 3lbs won the last tournament. Can anybody give me some advice on where to look for some bass or stripers?

chambers270

House is on notla island drive. We fished fro. The tva ramp around those 2 islands, up to the dam and across from the tva back to that marina

chambers270

Fished the dam at sunrise but only saw an occasional strike. Fished a few hrs after and didn't boat a single fish

chambers270

Finally saw bait in 30 ft of water yesterday evening

chambers270

So after talking to a few different locals and guys at the marinas, apparently the herring run pretty much shuts things down for a few weeks. One neighbor said he doesn't even fish for most of June because the bass fishing is so slow. I ended up catching 1 yesterday morning on topwater and it was a short spot. We called it quits after a few hrs. I guess if I ever go back I will plan for May.

CLazzeri

Summer Vacation

Hey all, Im coming up to Lake Nottely in June and i was hoping to get a little help. We will only be on the lake 1 day. i was hoping some of you out there would give me some tips on bait and depth for some Large mouth, small mouth bass. Im not looking for your honey hole just an idea so we can hopefully get on some fish.Last year we got skunked at Lake Blue Ridge. Im not used to lakes that that deep. In Florida we have big lakes but so much different than those lakes in GA.

The mtn man

There are no smallmouth in there, if you don't find the schools in open water, your out of luck. Been catching some crappie, but they are deep and have no size to them, been fishing nottley hard for a couple years, have had good success at times, it seems like later on in the summer it gets better, it seems to me they are on the herring this time of year, if you find the schools your in, if not your out, just past Saturday I marked all kinds of bait, but nothing on the bait, waited until dark and put out a light, had plenty of shad come to the light, but never marked a single bass, only small crappie.

ryanh487

My uncle lives on Nottely, back off in a cove. He catches stripers right before dark on top water baits. Told me last weekend that every morning there are boats in the cove bright and early that appear to be pulling out a good number of Spots from the docks. He knows a guy in his neighborhood that's a striper guide who shows him pictures of some very impressive fish on a regular basis, so they're in there. Catches his own bait.

The mtn man

My uncle lives on Nottely, back off in a cove. He catches stripers right before dark on top water baits. Told me last weekend that every morning there are boats in the cove bright and early that appear to be pulling out a good number of Spots from the docks. He knows a guy in his neighborhood that's a striper guide who shows him pictures of some very impressive fish on a regular basis, so they're in there. Catches his own bait.

Yes, there are plenty in there, your right about using the bait caught there though. Finding the stripper schools are hit or miss though, I cruised from Meeks park to the dam Sunday and never marked a school. I can never find them in the same area.

seabolt

Striper fishing good right now on nottley but they are scaterd.but are bunching up in some nice schools.ride tell u find them.i have been catching good numbers in mouth of creeks

The mtn man

To the OP, if you don't mind going with a guide, you should call lake nottley fishing charters, talk to Jeremy seabolt , he will put you on them it could be worth not looking for them since he already knows where they are.

arcadedawg

Nottely

Here is the best advice you will ever get on Nottely. Drive 20-30 minutes East on HWY 76 and fish Lake Chatuge. There ya go.