plumbing gurus

bjorns4

I just had multiple leaks in my house on my waste water line. What could have caused this. I am nervous that there may be a clog somewhere that is creating back pressure on the joints. Any help would greatly be appreciated

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Tree roots? I've seen them grow into a crack you wouldn't have known was there.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Is it pvc? is it where you can see it (crawl space)? Whatever the cause, back pressure escapes through the vents, so not likely the cause. Head pressure from full pipes that are normally empty (or draining) might make them leak, but if it's clogged that baddly, there will be other, more obvious symptoms

bjorns4

I have not seen any signs of back pressure. I have been gone for the last 3 months, and the glue is old. I am wondering if it is just a matter of expansion contraction and old age. I figure if there were blockages you would see them in the toilets and sinks.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I just had multiple leaks in my house on my waste water line. What could have caused this. I am nervous that there may be a clog somewhere that is creating back pressure on the joints. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Doubtful that a blocked drain would cause a leak, might expose one. Had that problem. Vent Pipe run into bell on a sanitary joint wasn't glued properly. Clogged p-trap backed up water to the fitting and it leaked.

That said if you have a line clogged to the point the line is leaking it would be backing up into your toilets and sinks and such. Some where out side your home you should have a clean out plug. Remove it and see if you have any back flow out of it when you run water into your fixtures.

bjorns4

I agree that it would show signs if there was a blockage. I suspect the glue was failing through deterioration and gave out after not being used for awhile