Running PVC Drain through Steel Wall

B. White

Asking this in case anyone has done something similar. I am thinking about putting a utility sink in the corner of a pole barn that has insulated steel walls. It has no plumbing, but I can fill easily with a hose, since there is a spigot nearby. I would like to run PVC out into a barrel to use gray water for watering plants, etc. It wouldn't be used for anything except to wash collards or other vegetables instead bending over a wash tub and occasional use with a wringer washer for rinse and drain. I could go simple and put it outside, but would prefer to get it out of the sun for summer and cold and wind in cooler months.

My first concern is the guy who wired it wore out his hole saw bits and had to come back with new high dollar ones. Looking for any feedback on a good brand than can handle steel siding that may be harder than average.

The 2nd is whether to get fancy and use some type of bulkhead fitting going through the wall, or drill at a stud and secure the pvc to it and just caulk the gap.

tucker80

Milwaukee with carbide teeth. We use them all the time. Make sure you have a good pilot bit. Over size the hole about a 1/2" larger than your outside pipe diameter, center the pipe, then caulk the gap with a good caulk. NP1 is the best for this type of application in my experience.

Blackston

I will piggy back off this comment … Milwaukee will do it !!!! I can drill 3 holes in 1/4 “ stainless steel with one and that’s impressive….. I use Dawn dish liquid to lubricate it …. I like to take the hole saw off the arbor and drill center hole then put that hole saw back on …. Run it slow enough that it’s cutting ( making chips ) …. I bet a Milwaukee will cut 10 holes or more without givin up
Milwaukee with carbide teeth. We use them all the time. Make sure you have a good pilot bit. Over size the hole about a 1/2" larger than your outside pipe diameter, center the pipe, then caulk the gap with a good caulk. NP1 is the best for this type of application in my experience.
will

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
The 2nd is whether to get fancy and use some type of bulkhead fitting going through the wall, or drill at a stud and secure the pvc to it and just caulk the gap.
Both.

Drill at a stud and strap the pipe across that stud. It's way more simple than trying to secure it to the metal its poking through, and it *will* need to be secured. Use i.p.s. size eschucheons on the inside and outside of the pipe to cover the hole, and get the white plastic escucheons instead of chromed pot metal. Under the escucheons shoot a bead of silicone around the pipe at the wall to make it official because why not? Trap the pipe under that sink as if it were under the house. Its worth it to help with bugs.

You have to drill the hole and you have to plumb the sink- if you cut all corners and drain it through a radiator hose - you still really have the same amount of work. Might as well get it right

B. White

I put it in yesterday. Milwaukee bits did good as stated. I did just run the drain straight out with no trap, but picked up a cap that fits the pipe outside when not in use. My wife had about 10 gallons of peas to wash before she shelled them, so she tried it out. It is just an improvement over a washtub outside, but better on your back. I made it a little fancier and put a 4" piece of pvc through above with a spigot on the inside and hose thread fitting on the outside.

1690058762993.jpeg

Blackston

Lookin good !!!

Latest posts