Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Canuck, I am so happy to see you here since QDMA kicked us to the curb, you are offering up some fantastic info and advice, keep up the good work!!

I noticed your chart on post #534 and wondered, have you seen a similar chart with white clover included and also covers 12 months rather than Jan-Aug?

I haven't ... but I will see what I can find! Actually, for me, in middle Georgia, when I plant in late September or early October (and we get rain), this mix becomes available to the deer once it gets out of the ground in October, till I replant the following year.

The pic below is what is left of the medium red clover, when I tilled it under in the fall of 2016. It kept feeding the deer, all the way along.

Attachments

• Big Food Plot, red clover 9-17-16.jpg
    Big Food Plot, red clover 9-17-16.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 172

davidhelmly

I try to keep 20-25 acres in white clover (durana/alice) every year and 10-15 in brassica so I'm rotating some of the plots every year. I always mix a cereal grain in when planting the clover and brassica but I'm thinking about also adding some red clover in with the white that we will plant this year. Last years drought really hurt our plots so bad that some still look really bad, I have a feeling we will be planting a lot more acres this year than normal.

Canuck5

I try to keep 20-25 acres in white clover (durana/alice) every year and 10-15 in brassica so I'm rotating some of the plots every year. I always mix a cereal grain in when planting the clover and brassica but I'm thinking about also adding some red clover in with the white that we will plant this year. Last years drought really hurt our plots so bad that some still look really bad, I have a feeling we will be planting a lot more acres this year than normal.

Yes, a couple of my Durana plots show a little worse for wear. The medium red is a biennial, so you could have it in there for a couple of years!

Canuck5

35-40 acres is a whole lot of plots!!!!

Canuck5

Yeah we've got right at 40 acs of plots on 1250 acs, last year was right at 40 acs of dirt! facepalm:

Last year was not a fall planting to right home about, for sure!!. But add some pics and stories about some of the successes (this year :D)!

LDF

Okay so here is the plot we planted last year. Due to the drought and new property we just bought a random mix from TSC to see if anything would grow. Oats and a few clover species were present (and i'm sure ryegrass). My plan for this year is to spray/kill around early September, broadcast a mix of oats, chicory, red clover, and white clover and then knock down/roll last year's dead plot to protect the seeds and get some organic matter into the soil

Edit: sorry about the second picture it keeps posting sideways. I've tried rotating every way possible and it continues to post sideways

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 144

Canuck5

Looks like you might have rye grass in there, which I would keep from going to seed, otherwise you might have it forever. Bush hog it, to keep it from making seed or spray the entire plot with clethodim and crop oil, which will kill the grasses (rye grass & oats), but let the clovers grow.

Canuck5

Lots of good information from GrowingDeerTV this week. http://www.growingdeer.tv/#/how-to-maximize-food-plots

Even though I don't have a roller/crimper or a no-till drill, I think there's lots of tips to pick up on. Like the fact that the rolled rye helped protect the soybeans from over browseing (of course, helping with weed control and moisture retention too). Or that the standing wheat/rye in the clover plot did the same thing, plus provide a little additional food.

davidhelmly

Lots of good information from GrowingDeerTV this week. http://www.growingdeer.tv/#/how-to-maximize-food-plots

Even though I don't have a roller/crimper or a no-till drill, I think there's lots of tips to pick up on. Like the fact that the rolled rye helped protect the soybeans from over browseing (of course, helping with weed control and moisture retention too). Or that the standing wheat/rye in the clover plot did the same thing, plus provide a little additional food.

I agree great show today, I just watched it also.

LDF

Is there still any time to throw out some summer forage until it's time to plant a fall mix? Had a lot going on and wasn't able to spray until today. Should I try to throw out some beans/sunflower/milo or just wait to plant my fall mix?

Canuck5

Is there still any time to throw out some summer forage until it's time to plant a fall mix? Had a lot going on and wasn't able to spray until today. Should I try to throw out some beans/sunflower/milo or just wait to plant my fall mix?

I think I'd probably wait and save my money for the fall. We never know if July and August turn hot and dry again.

For the moment, Mother Nature is providing lots of rainfall and food for the deer, so just get your plots ready for late September or early October, now!

Canuck5

LDF

This is more of a habitat question in general...but my property is an insane amount of privet in the interior and kudzu on the borders. I mowed and sprayed the kudzu and hope to burn sometime before planning a fall food plot and hope that helps choke out the kudzu..but we are slowly mowing the privet back..any tips for eradicating privet and letting native grasses take back the property