Best scope under $400?

ssramage

Looking for something 3-9, less than $400 to go on my deer rifle. Leaning heavily towards the VX3i. Would like thoughts on that scope and any others I should consider.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I say the best scope for under 400 bucks is the nikon prostaff.
The 3x9x40 is usually 169 bucks.
My opinion.....unless your gonna spend 1000 bucks on a real zeiss.....your gonna be hard to beat a nikon prostaff.

wareagle700

A Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10 would be the best in the range IMO. I have not been impressed with the last few Leupold scopes I’ve purchased. That along with some poor reviews by people who I trust is enough for me to not recommend anything from Leupold. One instructor reported something like a 30% failure rate for Leupold scopes in their classes. And thats with the Mk 4's and higher end optics. Vortex is another I would stay clear of in that price range.

Last edited:

ssramage

A Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10 would be the best in the range IMO. I have not been impressed with the last few Leupold scopes I’ve purchased. That along with some poor reviews by people who I trust is enough for me to not recommend anything from Leupold. One instructor reported something like a 30% failure rate for Leupold scopes in their classes. And thats with the Mk 4's and higher end optics. Vortex is another I would stay clear of in that price range.

Interesting. I have always heard Leupold above all else in the "realistic" budget rifle scopes. I was honestly dead set on the VX3i but I'm glad I'm doing my research now.

If you search really hard, you'll find a Leupold VX-R 3-9×40 with Firedot #4 or Firedot duplex and you cannot touch it in low light or full light performance with a properly adjusted Firedot

I own about 50 scoped big game rifles, nothing beats a VX-R anywhere near it's price range. I have sold Zeiss scopes in order to buy VX-R.

ssramage

Well I just found the same VX3i that Academy had for $400 on Ebay for $290, brand new. I snatched it up. If I don't like it, I'll sell it.

bullgator

You done good. I've tried other scopes, and in most any given price range Leupold seems to be the best scope for the money.
I think you did good although I didn't realize the had a 3-9 in the vx3 line.

weagle

One instructor reported something like a 30% failure rate for Leupold scopes in their classes. And thats with the Mk 4's and higher end optics. Vortex is another I would stay clear of in that price range.

Leupold built it's reputation as a hunting scope and I've never owned one that failed in the field. I don't think their design lends itself well to "knob spinning". Many of the new rifle sports and tactical applications call for a scope that can constantly be adjusted and the adjustment turrets must be exact and repeatable in their settings. If that is the application I'd probably be looking at something other than a Leupold.

Leupolds were designed to be sighted in on a hunting rifle and left alone. I've always found their older vari X and newer VX series scopes to be rock solid on hunting rifles.

wareagle700

Yeah once zeroed they tend to hold together good as others in their price range. I’ve not had any problems with them loosing zero but getting them to zero has been a problem more than once, in my relatively small sample size. The CDS model I recently tried was horrible though. Not only did it not track as advertised, but the reference marks didn’t stay lined up as you dialed elevation. My current VX3i, a capped model after dealing with the CDS, has a very noticeable canted reticle. Something I plan on returning to Leupold. Things like that just lead me to question the rest of their QC.

ssramage

You done good. I've tried other scopes, and in most any given price range Leupold seems to be the best scope for the money.
I think you did good although I didn't realize the had a 3-9 in the vx3 line.

This one is a 3.5-10x40.

I'll keep a look out for any QC issues. In all honesty, this is the nicest scope I've ever bought. If I didn't notice any issues with my Nikons and Bushmells, I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with this for it's intended purposes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always had good luck with Bushnells in lower-end scopes. Some of the Vortex ones are good too. I have also never had a problem with a Leopold.

bighonkinjeep

Hard to go wrong with a Leupold. I have several of the older VariX and newer VX models that have served me well.
I've also had great service out of a couple of older American made Burris FF2s through the years which prompted me to try a couple of Burris's other offerings. After getting a killer rebate on the 1st one, I have bought 3 more of the Burris E1s in the last couple of years. Very bright and clear with ballistic holdover points that do away with the need to dial turrets on long or quick shots. A very solid option for a hunting scope that wont break the bank. I used a 3-9x50 on a Savage model 10 precision carbine to bust a running hog in the moonlight, fired 3 shots at over 100 yards and hit it 3 times before it went down. I could see it easily in the moonlight through the scope but not so much with the naked eye. I knew they were good bright scopes, but that was just icing on the cake. The E1s in my experience compare quite favorably to much pricier units with clarity, resolution, and brightness.

killerv

I picked up the vx3i 3.5-10x40 for under 300 on ebay. It's no bigger than a standard 3-9x40. Just put it on a ss model 7 708.

midway just had it for 400 but came with a 75 midway giftcard

killerv

How do you like the scope?

Only had it at the range so far. No dawn and dusks hunt with it yet. I like the size, the weight, low profile turrets, no gimmicks, simple well made scope with great glass. I have full confidence in a 3 series leupold though, as do most folks.

jpm2953

scope

I have a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 with 30mm tube and vortex rings I will make someone a good deal on. comes with the box and cover and paperwork. 678-855-1559

lonewolf247

I'd say if you could find the original Zeiss Conquest or a Meopta Meopro, in that price range, would be the best glass, and well built scope for your money.

Beyond that, the Bushnell Elite's are mighty nice for the money!

The Leupold VX3i, is a good option, for a hunting scope. As mentioned above, the only complaints I hear on them are the turrets, if you use them as a long range scope, and you keep adjusting them. I think, if you sight in your rifle, for MPBR, and just let it be, it will hold zero, and you'd be fine.