Please pray with me.

HawgJawl

Maybe those people are nuts.

Are you referring specifically to the folks at my church who claim that God spoke to them or are you referring to anyone who claims that God is communicating with them?

1222DANO

Where does the Preachers sermon come from?

So if God doesn't speak to us then how can a man Preach an hour long message "from God" and it hit the Aspects of our lives that needs to be addressed.
it wasn't rehearsed.

HawgJawl

Where does the Preachers sermon come from?

So if God doesn't speak to us then how can a man Preach an hour long message "from God" and it hit the Aspects of our lives that needs to be addressed.
it wasn't rehearsed.

I'm not sure if this is directed at Centerpin Fan or me.

I do believe that scripture supports a belief that God communicates with those who earnestly seek Him, and that is precisely what I have been praying for.

HawgJawl

I do believe God exists and I've been talking to Him daily, albeit a one-way conversation so far.

They may be exactly what He knows you need.

I've been thinking about this statement for a while now. Under the old covenant, it does seem that God would ignore His people on occassion. The book of Lamentations is a good example of this.

But, is this still true under the new covenant? I'm looking for New Testament scripture that says God may not respond to some people who seek Him.

Madman

Let’s spend the day getting our hearts right with God. Let’s strengthen our faith that our Lord will deliver. This evening, let’s find a quiet place to commune with our Father.

Recite the Lord’s Prayer, and then ask;

Did modern animals evolve from lower forms of life?

HJ,

Not sure the need for this question. God has already answered and made that answer available to all men.

24 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:24-25

By the way the answer is no.

Madman

I also realize that this "feeling" is not 100% reliable because many people have "felt" that God was leading them to do things which were contrary to scripture.

God would NEVER lead someone in a direction contrary to Scripture. But demons would.

HawgJawl

HJ,

Not sure the need for this question. God has already answered and made that answer available to all men.

24 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:24-25

By the way the answer is no.

The point of this thread was never about proving or disproving the theory of evolution. The point of the initial question was about the source of our answers to these type of questions. Specifically, the difference between obtaining an answer directly from God through prayer or coming to our own conclusions based upon our interpretation of scripture, what we have been told, and our own personal opinions.

Lifeway Research conducts polls of Protestant pastors and has found that there is no unanimous answer to the questions regarding evolution. A decent percentage of pastors believe that God used evolution.

Again, the point is not to prove or disprove evolution. The point is that if all Christians received the answer to this question directly from God through prayer, there would be NO disagreement on the answer.

So, please allow me to ask; Did you receive that answer directly from God through prayer or from some other source?

ambush80

The point of this thread was never about proving or disproving the theory of evolution. The point of the initial question was about the source of our answers to these type of questions. Specifically, the difference between obtaining an answer directly from God through prayer or coming to our own conclusions based upon our interpretation of scripture, what we have been told, and our own personal opinions.

Lifeway Research conducts polls of Protestant pastors and has found that there is no unanimous answer to the questions regarding evolution. A decent percentage of pastors believe that God used evolution.

Again, the point is not to prove or disprove evolution. The point is that if all Christians received the answer to this question directly from God through prayer, there would be NO disagreement on the answer.

So, please allow me to ask; Did you receive that answer directly from God through prayer or from some other source?

Maybe he tells some people one thing and tells other people something else. I know he's not the author of "confusion" but maybe he calls it something else. Maybe it's a test. Maybe your not supposed to know. Did I leave any out?

centerpin fan

The point is that if all Christians received the answer to this question directly from God through prayer, there would be NO disagreement on the answer.

I guess all Christians DON'T receive the answer to this question directly from God through prayer.

Problem solved.

HawgJawl

I guess all Christians DON'T receive the answer to this question directly from God through prayer.

Problem solved.

I agree with you, but is there anyone on this forum who does?

HawgJawl

Yes, and I thank God that he gives me answers even when he doesn't have me to pray for them.

Many people have tried to describe to me what they believe to be God communicating with them. I have thoughts which spring forth in my mind. Some of those are consistent with scripture and some are not, but neither of those types feel different to me in origin.

Can you describe to me how you tell the difference between a thought that originates within your own mind and a message placed in your mind by God?

HawgJawl

I'm still praying daily for God to make His presence known to me. Nothing yet.

hobbs27

I'm still praying daily for God to make His presence known to me. Nothing yet.

Why you praying daily? Dont you think He heard you the first time?

Things happen in His time for a reason.

Israel

BANNED
There's something less than wholesome about "reporting back" on God.
While you say you seek to engage him with your whole heart, obviously you yet have enough strength of consideration to imagine it's necessary for you to keep a running bulletin.
Do I say this to shame you? Hardly.
Do I say this knowing, what God wants to have with you goes far beyond the necessity...even your ability to report on it?
The confessions of dying men, the equivalent of ecstatic utterances, come unbidden and unplanned; unmediated by intent or control.
"You can't handle the truth!...as suddenly the truth bursts forth like a dam breached...a tsunami with no regard for once its earthly borders. And uncaring of repercussion, all is laid bare, even to the speaker's indictment, and the Lord's vindication.
Do all, or perhaps, many here find themselves "rooting" for you...indeed...and what may sound as though a discouragement in your experiment becomes less, "I hope he hears something" to "hear what the Lord has spoken!"
Now is the axe laid to the root.

HawgJawl

There's something less than wholesome about "reporting back" on God.
While you say you seek to engage him with your whole heart, obviously you yet have enough strength of consideration to imagine it's necessary for you to keep a running bulletin.
Do I say this to shame you? Hardly.
Do I say this knowing, what God wants to have with you goes far beyond the necessity...even your ability to report on it?
The confessions of dying men, the equivalent of ecstatic utterances, come unbidden and unplanned; unmediated by intent or control.
"You can't handle the truth!...as suddenly the truth bursts forth like a dam breached...a tsunami with no regard for once its earthly borders. And uncaring of repercussion, all is laid bare, even to the speaker's indictment, and the Lord's vindication.
Do all, or perhaps, many here find themselves "rooting" for you...indeed...and what may sound as though a discouragement in your experiment becomes less, "I hope he hears something" to "hear what the Lord has spoken!"
Now is the axe laid to the root.

When God makes His presence known to me, I will be shouting it from the rooftops. I will be testifying it to everyone I meet. I will be engaging all my doubting friends with exactly what has erased all my doubt. I will be apologizing to everyone whose faith may have been weakened by my questioning. I will be doing much more than simply reporting back on God.

I assume that this type of reporting is okay and possibly encouraged, but until then you had rather not hear about the status of my relationship with God.

Israel

BANNED
When God makes His presence known to me, I will be shouting it from the rooftops. I will be testifying it to everyone I meet. I will be engaging all my doubting friends with exactly what has erased all my doubt. I will be apologizing to everyone whose faith may have been weakened by my questioning. I will be doing much more than simply reporting back on God.

I assume that this type of reporting is okay and possibly encouraged, but until then you had rather not hear about the status of my relationship with God.

Now...you're talkin'!

Artfuldodger

Maybe you are just not one of the "elect", God only communicates through the New Testament, all the Gifts/Holy Spirit communication is over, God's gifts rain on everyone, or you just don't have enough faith. Many more Biblical possibilities, I just can't think of any right now.
We've discussed God has already decided how everything will be down to the Holy Spirit has left only the New Testament for his role on earth.
Considering the way things happen to Christians vs Hindus, I'm going to have to re-examine my beliefs on "the way things happen" or how they are revealed.
Nothing personally against you but don't you think it's time to move on? You have sincerely tried to seek divine intervention and haven't succeeded. It is possible the gifts have been taken away and replaced with the New Testament. This is beginning to make more sense as I see what happens around me.
If you can't rely on faith alone then it's time to move on. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but it is a reality of Christianity.