Bass Records

61BelAir

I've only gotten to the second picture/caption. 5 bass limit of 132 pounds and 8 ounces? Those would be 5 world record bass! What am I missing here?

61BelAir

So nearly 9 pounds average for a total of 15 fish in three days!!! WOW

That's still amazing.

whchunter: I think I set a new personal record down at TS this past weekend. Most lure swaps in a 3 hour period. Bass were busting shad EVERYWHERE around me pretty much all day. I started out trying every top water lure I had...then spinnerbaits...crankbaits...flukes...jerkbaits...chatterbaits...alabama rig....rooster tail....I went through everything without a single bite Sunday morning. This went on from 6 a.m. until at least 9.

I finally found out they would hit a fish head spin/underspin with a smoking shad colored swimbait. I tried a few other colors with no interest. They still didn't want it much, but I managed 10 between it and drop shot (which is new to me) over the next several hours. Not a single one was over 3 pounds.

I'm pretty sure they were keyed in on this year's shad hatch and hitting tiny fish only as the ones I saw floating after the massacres were all 3/4" long or less.

whchunter

Bass

That's still amazing.

whchunter: I think I set a new personal record down at TS this past weekend. Most lure swaps in a 3 hour period. Bass were busting shad EVERYWHERE around me pretty much all day. I started out trying every top water lure I had...then spinnerbaits...crankbaits...flukes...jerkbaits...chatterbaits...alabama rig....rooster tail....I went through everything without a single bite Sunday morning. This went on from 6 a.m. until at least 9.

I finally found out they would hit a fish head spin/underspin with a smoking shad colored swimbait. I tried a few other colors with no interest. They still didn't want it much, but I managed 10 between it and drop shot (which is new to me) over the next several hours. Not a single one was over 3 pounds.

I'm pretty sure they were keyed in on this year's shad hatch and hitting tiny fish only as the ones I saw floating after the massacres were all 3/4" long or less.

Noticed you left your boat. Not sure what that underspin bait looks like. Was it like a road runner?

whchunter

That's still amazing.

How many did you catch? Did you try the umbrella rig or chatter bait?

61BelAir

Noticed you left your boat. Not sure what that underspin bait looks like. Was it like a road runner?

Yes....like a road runner with about a 3" paddle tail fluke.

How many did you catch? Did you try the umbrella rig or chatter bait?

I caught 10. I'd usually call that a great day, but the way they were feeding on top all around me all day - anyone should have been able to catch 3x that. I'm especially surprised they hit the underspin/fluke, but wouldn't touch a bare fluke tx rigged or weightless OR the set of 5 flukes on the umbrella rig. I also threw a double fluke rig some.

I've never bass fished with live bait, but I think a casting net would have been handy to catch a pile of those shad and use.

I tried everything mentioned above plus a whole lot more. I started out trying every top water bait I had. I didn't get a single strike on any of the other lures all day.

Last edited:

whchunter

Bass

Yes....like a road runner with about a 3" paddle tail fluke.

I caught 10. I'd usually call that a great day, but the way they were feeding on top all around me all day - anyone should have been able to catch 3x that. I'm especially surprised they hit the underspin/fluke, but wouldn't touch a bare fluke tx rigged or weightless OR the set of 5 flukes on the umbrella rig. I also through a double fluke rig some.

I've never bass fished with live bait, but I think a casting net would have been handy to catch a pile of those shad and use.

I tried everything mentioned above plus a whole lot more. I started out trying every top water bait I had. I didn't get a single strike on any of the other lures all day.

Funny how only one bait and sometimes one color is the only thing that works. When you coming back down?