Crankbait rod question

turkeyhunter835

BANNED !!!
I'm not the biggest crankbait guy, I'm more into throwing jigs and shaky heads. The past 2 weeks on Lanier I have been nailing them on crankbaits, it has got me wanting a crankbait rod. I'm going to get a duckett ghost rod, I have a few and love them, my question is they offer a 7ft M and a 7'6 MH, what's the advantage on both, I've been throwing deeper diving cranks so that's what I will probably be using most with it,

GeorgiaPineHunter

I have an ALX Zolo Grind 7'11". Honestly, wouldn't buy another cranking rod. They sponsor my old college team so we got a discount but they're worth the money IMO. The medium can probably handle up to a 6XD but the MH can take an 8XD. My Grind has handled a 10XD and I wasn't exhausted after throwing it.

shotgun

X2 on the DUCKETT RODS. Best rods I have used. Check Academy they have the 7 footers and also Amazon.

brunofishing

I have the Red Duckett cranking rod. Its the 7'6" MH... I can crank all day long and not feel like my arms are jello at the end of the day! I throw BIG crank baits!

toyota4x4h

Youd need the longer mh heavy rods for the deep divers. Get you one of the new Skeet Reese magnum crankers they are 9'10" Supposedly you can sling a big crankbait over 100 yds with it easy.

StriperrHunterr

Youd need the longer mh heavy rods for the deep divers. Get you one of the new Skeet Reese magnum crankers they are 9'10" Supposedly you can sling a big crankbait over 100 yds with it easy.

No doubt you need the distance. I prefer my medium Shimano Clarus for throwing my big cranks. I also prefer spinning in almost anything I do, except for live baiting striper in the cooler months.

toyota4x4h

No doubt you need the distance. I prefer my medium Shimano Clarus for throwing my big cranks. I also prefer spinning in almost anything I do, except for live baiting striper in the cooler months.

I fished the bass pro big bass tourney last year at Chickamauga Lake and the first 150 sign ups got a free Clarus 7'2 mh..I LOVE that rod.

StriperrHunterr

I fished the bass pro big bass tourney last year at Chickamauga Lake and the first 150 sign ups got a free Clarus 7'2 mh..I LOVE that rod.

Absolutely. I did lose the first guide a little while back and had to replace it, but it's still my favorite for most purposes.

Darkhorse

My main crankin' rod is a Shimano crankbait rod medium power. I've had this rod for several years and I think it's a Crucial rod. The action is just right for cranking but a few years ago I hooked a big fish and the fish controlled the fight not me. I could not keep it out of the bushes and it ended up trapped to the brush by a treble hook. I got lucky when I went in after the fish as I was able to get a net under it and trap it to the brush. That fish weighed a little over 9 pounds.
So the next year I bought a Compre 7'0 foot crankbait rod in MH so I might be able to control a fish in the same situation.
What I've found is this, the MH is the rod for deep cranking or big baits. But the action is still a bit unforgiving and more fish are lost due to the hooks pulling out than are caught.
The medium has a lot higher catch rate for me as the rod has a more parabolic action.
I've changed out some trebles with the EWG replacement hooks and almost all fish hooked with those ends up a caught fish. Well worth the money.

sbroadwell

For the really big CBs, that dive real deep, you really can't beat an S-glass blank. I've made several for people from Phoenix blanks, and lately several of a comparable, but less expensive, MHX blank. The one I made for myself is 8 feet long, and the action is very parabolic.

FootLongDawg

After doing a lot of research, I bought a Duckett Micro Magic 7 ft. Medium action and topped it with a Shimano Curado two months ago. I would like to tell you my thoughts on the rod, but I have not been fishing this year. :mad:

turkeyhunter835

BANNED !!!
So when we're talking u need a MH for deep diving cranks, how deep we talking 15+? 10+?? Don't ever see myself throwing the strike king 10xd

Lanier Jim

Okuma EVX-CB-701Mb or CB- 701MHb.....7'1"....great rods for crankbaits and even swimbaits. Just my 2 cents - LJ