Knocking the shine off of a wood stock?

01Foreman400

Staff member
I've got a Ruger M77 with a shiny wood stock. Is there a way to just get the shine off the stock without redoing the whole thing? I just want a matte finish.

leoparddog

automotive buffing compound. It will knock the shine down without removing the finish. I did it with a Browning year back and it worked well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have used Birchwood-Casey Stock Sheen and it worked pretty well. I refinished a stock for a friend and put a nice True Oil finish on it...thought it looked great. He thought it was too shiny...rubbed it with that stuff and he loved it.

killerv

wiping it down with acetone should help remove the laquer...then a couple coats of low gloss tung oil....a couple coats will keep it matte

leoparddog

If you want to refinish the stock that's great, but if you just want it a little less shiny, take my word for it - light buffing compound. You may have it in the garage or for just a couple of bucks at the store. 10 minutes with it and you'll know, just try it on a smooth section of the butt. It won't remove the finish, just dull it.

If it doesn't dull it enough, no harm done and no major time or $ spent. Strip the factory finish off and do it the way you want it.

Josey

If you want to go simple, cheap and easy, use a fine Scotchbrite pad or fine steel wool.

Big7

The Oracle
wiping it down with acetone should help remove the laquer...then a couple coats of low gloss tung oil....a couple coats will keep it matte

Ain't no lacquer on a Ruger.. ;)
IMO.. A few licks with a #600 rubber block will do the trick.

GENTLY.. :D

Jester896

Senior Clown
the Birchwood-Casey stuff at $6.00 a bottle may have a pretty fine grit rating compared to polishing compounds normally found in the garage. Most of them on a scale of 1-10 ( 1 being the weakest) as far as grit exceeds 5 in most cases. Make sure the stuff you have is pretty light. Even if you had to use it twice to get your desired result, it wouldn't be a bad thing over going too far on the first pass then have to strip it.

Big7

The Oracle
the Birchwood-Casey stuff at $6.00 a bottle may have a pretty fine grit rating compared to polishing compounds normally found in the garage. Most of them on a scale of 1-10 ( 1 being the weakest) as far as grit exceeds 5 in most cases. Make sure the stuff you have is pretty light. Even if you had to use it twice to get your desired result, it wouldn't be a bad thing over going too far on the first pass then have to strip it.

Nothing to "strip" on a MKII.. It's stained and oiled walnut..

I only have 6, one of them is all weather synthetic. The other 5 are walnut..

308 WIN

If you use choose to use steel wool, make sure it's 0000.

The professional way to turn a mirror finish to satin is lightly with a 600 grit wet sand, then rub with pumice and next rottenstone. All done wet with either water or paraffin oil. Pumice and rottenstone can be found at Brownells.

killerv

Ain't no lacquer on a Ruger.. ;)
IMO.. A few licks with a #600 rubber block will do the trick.

GENTLY.. :D

I've never seen a shiny wood stocked m77 either, what's this shine he's talking about? Heck, someone may have added it.

01Foreman400

Staff member
It's shiney, that's all I know.

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 186

Jester896

Senior Clown
that looks pretty satin except for where hands have been...just might need to clean the hand oils off.

GA native

She doesn't seem that shiny from the picture.

The problem with buffing compound that I see, is getting it out of the checkering. #0000 steel wool seems like the best route.

Rather than mess with the finish on an $800 rifle, I think I would just use it. A season or two in the field, and the shine will be off.

Nice rifle. I'd be more worried about the nice blue and the blued scope finish than the stock on a M77. That said, I hunt with lots of similar rifles and still find them to work just fine.