What is it?

Kootie

Thought it was a carp.....but not so sure.
Caught in public pond Gwinnett County, GA

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,276

across the river

That isn't a golden shiner. The dorsal fine is too far up and the material line is the material line of a shiner. That is someones goldfish they got tired of and dumped in the pond that has grown quite bit.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Somebody's goldfish they tossed in the pond. What A lot of people don't know about goldfish is that they actually aren't gold. They're bred to be that golden orange color. They're naturally brownish or bronze like that one. At birth they separate the gold ones from bronze ones. The gold ones become pets and the others become feeder fish for other pets. You tend to find koi fish or goldfish in a lot of lakes and ponds people dump around the state unfortunately.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is a goldfish, just like JIB said. That is their natural size and color, the orange ones are selectively-bred genetic freaks, and they stay small from being confined. There is a lake near here full of them. There are schools of hundreds of them. About one in a hundred still pops up with some orange on it.

PappyHoel

Congrats on your goldfish.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Crucian carp

Carassius Carassius

All over the Europe.

The crucian carp is a medium-sized member of the common carp family Cyprinidae. It occurs widely in northern European regions. Wikipedia
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...sCarassius8.JPG/220px-CarassiusCarassius8.JPG
I was going to guess crucian carp when I first saw it but I realized it looks a little different then goldfish do and we don't have any here in the states. Then again you never know, it could've been somebody's pet. I've heard of pet owners releasing Pacu (a cousin of the piranha) in canals and ponds in Florida.

61BelAir

I've heard of pet owners releasing Pacu (a cousin of the piranha) in canals and ponds in Florida.

Yeah and if you haven't already heard of what those "vegetarian" fish are capable of then you should read about it or better yet watch the episode of RiverMonsters about them. I think it's titled Mutilator.
Long story short.....after they were introduced to Papa New Guinea they started growing much larger than in there native range. They also have been known to switch their diet and have been credited with biting off certain male body parts. Several men have bled to death from them...the ones who lived probably aren't too happy they made it.

bvi

I would say this is a crucian.

2181461_0.jpg