Carrollton fishing area?

charlie81

I’m in Carrollton for a baseball tournament this weekend and they canceled ball for today. Is there anywhere to fish around here? Public ponds or anything? Thanks in advance.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I’m in Carrollton for a baseball tournament this weekend and they canceled ball for today. Is there anywhere to fish around here? Public ponds or anything? Thanks in advance.
Lake Carroll is on Bankhead Hwy (Business Rt 166) east of Hwy. 27. Never fished it, but have herd good things about it.

ryork

Lake Carroll has been drained all spring and summer, starting to refill but anywhere except right in front of the dam is nothing but weeds from bank to bank. The area where Bankhead Highway crosses it is unfishable. There is a new park along Lakeshore Drive with a fishing pier and dam access. Deeper water there so assume the weeds shouldn't be a problem except right around the bank. I'd fish the spillway behind it near the Greenbelt Trailhead. A pass is required from the city to launch a boat, assume that doesn't apply to bank fishing. There are fishing lakes at Little Tallapoosa Park on HWY 113 going north out of Carrollton towards I-20 and at Tanner Park near Mt. Zion.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Lake Carroll has been drained all spring and summer, starting to refill but anywhere except right in front of the dam is nothing but weeds from bank to bank. The area where Bankhead Highway crosses it is unfishable. There is a new park along Lakeshore Drive with a fishing pier and dam access. Deeper water there so assume the weeds shouldn't be a problem except right around the bank. I'd fish the spillway behind it near the Greenbelt Trailhead. A pass is required from the city to launch a boat, assume that doesn't apply to bank fishing. There are fishing lakes at Little Tallapoosa Park on HWY 113 going north out of Carrollton towards I-20 and at Tanner Park near Mt. Zion.
Thanks for the update, I hadn't herd anything about the draining.

ryork

And if all else fails, Printers Ale on Columbia Drive is a great to place to kill some time!! Live music, outdoor area, games, good trucks and one amazing beer selection if you're into such things!

ryork

Thanks for the update, I hadn't herd anything about the draining.

Yeah, that project is taking a while longer than anticipated it seems. That is a very nice park they've added to their already impressive collection of such amenities.

Not sure how they're going to deal with that weed problem. A substantial portion of that upper end won't be accessible for a while as it comes up higher than the full pool elevation all the way across. It's such a large area it would seem likely to have an impact on water quality once it starts to die off and decompose.

charlie81

I went and checked out the area near the park and dam Sunday mornings everything was gated off I’m guessing due to the construction. Does look like a nice place to fish though. Maybe I’ll get to try it another time