Arrow weight vs Speed?

hold em hook

I made the switch from 100 gr to 125s this year. I am now at 433 @ just under 300fps. Excited to see the results.

Ihunt

422 grains at 272 fps. This is from a bow pulling 60lbs at 28.5" draw.

Johnny 71

Junebug
Its a sideways bow. I knew that would turn some heads. :bounce:
Its slow for an xbow. Barnett Ghost 360 with Hawke XB1 scope. I slowed it down quite a bit with the heavy bolt and cat whiskers pushed up to the serving.
Quiet for an xbow though. I test it every few days at 70 yds just to see if the scopes still on. :D Hey, when degenerative arthritis attacks, you gotta fight back.

My Dad shoots a x bow for the same reason, I don't think anyone will hate on that, can't wait to see the next video

stick_slinger

Think my 60 nitrum turbo is broke. 28" draw with 402 grain gold tip at 280 fps

Not broke at all. You're pushing pretty decent speed with your setup... Us short arm guys have trouble pushing heavy arrows 300+

I shoot 300fps right on the nose but I'm @ 65lbs with a 27.5in draw length. I'm only pushing around a 360gr arrow but it hits em and keeps going. Maybe have to beef it up if I go out west but these GA deer give my setup zero problems so far.

chadeugene

60lbs at 27.5" draw. 430gr arrow at 259fps. Thinking about switching to 75gr broad heads to pick up a bit of speed.

Teh Wicked

Been hunting with a bow since the mid 90's...We didn't have stupid fast bows then. Most compound bows at the time, their "Dual cam" bows, the cam's themselves looked like a roller skate wheel in shape they was so round.

I had a PSE lightning Flight II, it was a super bare bones bow with very low invested to hunt. And that bow killed more deer/bear than most people think is even possible. Shooting an old school Easton Aluminum Arrow, it was death from above to anything I was after in WV.

Only reason I wouldn't still be using that bow, I out grew it. Being 6'5" tall I needed a bow with 31" draw length, got an 08 PSE Dream Season. First time outfitted, I used light arrows and that bow shot in excess of 330fps. THe Easton Flatliner arrows were great, I didn't hesitate to hunt with that combo.

Now the current combo is Easton FMJ arrows and they are right around 550gr. THey shoot much better, the bow is way more quiet. And I turned down the arms a little to 60lbs and it still shoots in excess of 295fps (Thank you 31" draw length). This combo is so impressive I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything on the planet that is capable of being hunted with a bow. My limbs will crank down to 80lbs and I could literally hunt anything.

stick_slinger

I would have to do some more testing before the whole heavy arrow argument convinces me. I can completely make sense of it in my head but when I shoot heavy arrows vs light arrows.. The only difference to me is the heavy arrows take longer to get there and I feel a little less hand shock.

I was recording myself shooting at 20 and 25 yards with CX BlueStreaks and CX PileDrivers.. One is light and the other heavy. On camera they sounded about the same, PD's may have been a tad quieter but it was really hard to tell.... On my target I actually got about 1inch more penetration with the BlueStreaks over the PileDrivers. I know a target is not the same as an animal but I was consistently getting more penetration with the BlueStreaks. You could definitely tell the BlueStreaks were coming out hotter but on the receiving end the BlueStreaks definitely out performed the PD's.

I'll have to have somebody else shoot my bow to see if I can tell a difference in noise instead of using camera audio. Now the BlueStreaks definitely whistle going through the air a lot louder, but they are traveling much faster so thats expected.

Teh Wicked

The only true advantage to heavier arrows is your window for error is much smaller. With lightweight arrows, it doesn't take very much for a deflection or glance off. Even something as small as a twig hanging off a tree limb will send a 350gr arrow well off flight path.

Heavier arrows penetrate deeper, almost always get a good clean pass thru which helps a lot with tracking and recovery. My bow shoots way better with the heavier arrows, and it even tuned easier to shoot bullet holes in paper.

Not that it matters to me anymore, my compound hunting days are over.