First miss of the year

Clipper

I had taken a stand on our farm this afternoon off a trail the deer use on a regular basis. After having to spend several hundred dollars and much labor building an 8' electric fence to keep the deer out of my garden, I decided I needed to hunt here instead of my hunt club. I will hunt the club on Saturdays when my son hunts since I really joined to get to hunt with him.

I moved to the downwind side of the trail and backed into a tree with vines around me. I broke enough limbs to allow me to shoot and just stood there watching. I was expecting the deer to come from the right as that is where they bedded but instead saw movement to my left. It was a coyote trotting up the trail. When he passed behind some high weeds I raised my bow and drew. I had to hold a few seconds until he came out and when he did he was quartering sharply away from me at about 20 yards. I released (don't remember picking a spot as I am bad about that) and watched my arrow pass between his legs. I found my arrow but in looking for it also found a small persimmon tree with a few green fruits on it. I will hunt there again! I hate for the first shot of the year to be a miss, but I am determined to kill stuff this year. In fact I am determined to reduce the deer population on this farm this year with my bow. I wonder if Big Jim would be offended if I lettered "PAS" on the belly of my 43# Buffalo!:D

AllAmerican

Keep hunting, you will get one David. I'm 0-1 myself. I got too excited on a nice doe. Bounce the shaft off the top of her nose! 18 yds, perfect wind, perfect quartering away shot, bad archer. Good luck, was fun as ....