Unbiased Opinion

ambush80

Let's try an experiment.

"Procardium is bad for you."

By simply making a statement I can see how a cascade of biases could be unleashed. "Procardium, that sounds like a medicine. Sounds like one of them expensive designer drugs that some giant corporation is making tons of money off of. I bet it sucks".

I truly unbiased person would first find out what Procardium is.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You state your opinion as if it is fact. Interesting.
I smell some serious bias.
You are saying, as a young lad, growing up using outdoor plumbing, father had a six grade education, I had knowledge of space travel and what it takes to get to the moon. Guess I was a lot smarter than most.
Who knew? :)

You seem to have problems understanding what I am saying. It is your life experiences and your 'knowledge' that produce your biases. It doesn't matter whether your knowledge is true or false, it is what you perceive as truth. It doesn't matter if you dad had a 6th grade education or, if like my grandpappy, he didn't even finish 1st grade. It is based only on your 'knowledge' and believes.

You could be the dullest knife in the drawer and still have a bias toward a subject that is being discussed.

Yep, I have biases, you have biases, your dog has biases. He may not go near a electric fence line because he got shocked once. It makes no difference that there is no power on the fence, his experiences make him wary of going near there.

Like I said before.....

It is not whether or not you are biased, it is what bias is the best bias to be biased with.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Let's try an experiment.

"Procardium is bad for you."

By simply making a statement I can see how a cascade of biases could be unleashed. "Procardium, that sounds like a medicine. Sounds like one of them expensive designer drugs that some giant corporation is making tons of money off of. I bet it sucks".

I truly unbiased person would first find out what Procardium is.

I think that is some of that chemo crap they are giving me every other weekend.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

660griz

It is not whether or not you are biased, it is what bias is the best bias to be biased with.

That, is your opinion.
I concur that some of my opinions are biased but, I believe some opinions can be unbiased.
You believe different.

Now, if you want to present evidence to the contrary, and not just continue to repeat the same thing, I will be happy to look at it cause, I am unbiased that way.

ambush80

You seem to have problems understanding what I am saying. It is your life experiences and your 'knowledge' that produce your biases. It doesn't matter whether your knowledge is true or false, it is what you perceive as truth. It doesn't matter if you dad had a 6th grade education or, if like my grandpappy, he didn't even finish 1st grade. It is based only on your 'knowledge' and believes.

You could be the dullest knife in the drawer and still have a bias toward a subject that is being discussed.

Yep, I have biases, you have biases, your dog has biases. He may not go near a electric fence line because he got shocked once. It makes no difference that there is no power on the fence, his experiences make him wary of going near there.

Like I said before.....

I wouldn't call that dog biased. I would say that he's acting on evidence based on firsthand experience.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
That, is your opinion.
I concur that some of my opinions are biased but, I believe some opinions can be unbiased.
You believe different.

Now, if you want to present evidence to the contrary, and not just continue to repeat the same thing, I will be happy to look at it cause, I am unbiased that way.

that is not being unbiased. You are stating a biased opinion to my statement. You have no proof that I am wrong in my assumptions, you just choose not to believe it.

Bias.....

If you were truly unbiased, you would be exploring the data to see if what I said might true, that would show, at least, some semblance of being unbiased.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I wouldn't call that dog biased. I would say that he's acting on evidence based on firsthand experience.

but he is making assumption about a fence based on those experiences.

This is a bias in his thinking. He thinks the fence is charged even though it may not be.

660griz

that is not being unbiased. You are stating a biased opinion to my statement. You have no proof that I am wrong in my assumptions, you just choose not to believe it.

Bias.....

If you were truly unbiased, you would be exploring the data to see if what I said might true, that would show, at least, some semblance of being unbiased.

You are a trip. Like I believe you know what truly unbiased is...based on prior examples from you.

I would like to ask questions on why you are so adamant about believing there is no such thing as an unbiased opinion but, then I realized I don't really care and wonder why I even stepped into a conversation like this.
I admit it was a mistake.
Kinda like a nuh uh, you are...

Giving the example of the dog and 'ELECTRIC' fence and then calling it biased cause he doesn't know if it is charged or not. Wow! My cue to exit.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
FYI

noun
a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned: illegal bias against older job applicants; the magazine’s bias toward art rather than photography;
our strong bias in favor of the idea.

notice the red print... it might be important

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
by the very definition of the word, an opinion is a bias...

therefore an opinion can not be unbiased

matt79brown

I have an opinion on everything. Most of the time my opinions are very different and contrary to the ones around me. Bias seems to come from outside influence. Politics & religion is usually where I'm the outcast. I was born and raised within 10 miles of here. Average Joe. Why is it that I'm not buying into the norm. I'm supposed to be a baptist republican racist like the rest of my family, friends and co-workers. Whats wrong with me? Have I made some unbiased decisions? I don't watch news or even read the paper. Hummmm...... Maybe theres a connection?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Matt, I don't think anyone is saying there is something wrong with you. You have your opinions and beliefs, and other folks have theirs. That doesn't make it right or wrong. If we all were the same and thought the same, there wouldn't be a need for most of us.

but your biases are showing with that baptist republican racist comment.

Not all racist are republican.

:biggrin3::biggrin3:

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Matt, I don't think anyone is saying there is something wrong with you. You have your opinions and beliefs, and other folks have theirs. That doesn't make it right or wrong. If we all were the same and thought the same, there wouldn't be a need for most of us.

but your biases are showing with that baptist republican racist comment.

Not all racist are republican.

:biggrin3::biggrin3:

But a ton of Baptist Democrats are. ;)::ke::bounce:

ambush80

but he is making assumption about a fence based on those experiences.

This is a bias in his thinking. He thinks the fence is charged even though it may not be.

Wanna use this definition?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bias

Definition of bias
1 a : an inclination of temperament or outlook; especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice
b : an instance of such prejudice
c : bent, tendency
d (1) : deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates
(2) : systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others
2 : a line diagonal to the grain of a fabric; especially : a line at a 45 degree angle to the selvage often utilized in the cutting of garments for smoother fit
3 a : a peculiarity in the shape of a bowl that causes it to swerve when rolled on the green in lawn bowling
b : the tendency of a bowl to swerve; also : the impulse causing this tendency
c : the swerve of the bowl
4 a : a voltage applied to a device (such as a transistor control electrode) to establish a reference level for operation
b : a high-frequency voltage combined with an audio signal to reduce distortion in tape recording
— on the bias
1 : diagonally to the grain of a fabric

cut the cloth on the bias

sleeves cut on the bias

2 : at an angle : diagonally to the fibers of something

cut the meat on the bias

carrots cut on the bias

If you do, then I don't think ideas based on evidence fall under that definition.

ambush80

FYI

noun
a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned: illegal bias against older job applicants; the magazine’s bias toward art rather than photography;

I think the blue is more important.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Wanna use this definition?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bias

Definition of bias
1 a : an inclination of temperament or outlook; especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice
b : an instance of such prejudice
c : bent, tendency
d (1) : deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates
(2) : systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others
2 : a line diagonal to the grain of a fabric; especially : a line at a 45 degree angle to the selvage often utilized in the cutting of garments for smoother fit
3 a : a peculiarity in the shape of a bowl that causes it to swerve when rolled on the green in lawn bowling
b : the tendency of a bowl to swerve; also : the impulse causing this tendency
c : the swerve of the bowl
4 a : a voltage applied to a device (such as a transistor control electrode) to establish a reference level for operation
b : a high-frequency voltage combined with an audio signal to reduce distortion in tape recording
— on the bias
1 : diagonally to the grain of a fabric

cut the cloth on the bias

sleeves cut on the bias

2 : at an angle : diagonally to the fibers of something

cut the meat on the bias

carrots cut on the bias

If you do, then I don't think ideas based on evidence fall under that definition.

see entry 1C... a bent or tendency

the dog/fence falls under this definition. The dog would have a tendency to avoid any electric fence after a few pops of a live one.

I know cows will. Mine run on the honor system about 70 percent of the time after about a month of the fence being live. A calf gets popped a couple times, and he won't go near a fence again. You can't run him thru it chasing him with 4 wheeler.

ambush80

FYI

noun

I think the blue is more important.

sounds like a bias to me

Without the blue you simply have tendency, trend, feeling or opinion. The blue part qualifies the rest as bias.

Would you say that you're biased about gravity? Are you biased because you think a rock will fall down?

I think your trying to make the word bias do too much or not enough. I can't tell which.