Got a bunch of culls this year

Sixes

Are you seriously going to kill all the 1.5s and 2.5s?

The first buck is a little older but the rest are very young.

But, they are your tags, kill what you want.

Killdee

Culls ha...... How do you know which does to cull? ! of those bucks bred with a doe form a 10 point father evens every thing out. Don't waste your time.

PappyHoel

I'd cull them all. No way those ugly racks will get any better.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
If I posted what I really thought, then I would banned for sure.

:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

(1) I am just glad that nobody eliminated me as a "cull" from the herd back when maybe one year, I wasn't totally up to par BUT the next year, I was back as Bodacious as ever. :D

(2) I also learned that Deer are not always symmetrical with large antlers year after year.

(3) I am really hoping that our properties might be a LOOOONNNNGGGG ways apart from each other!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

BassHunter25

A lot of experts on here. These bucks are all at least 3.5 years or older.

Yall fell right into my trap. Except Pappy Hoel, unless he was being sarcastic.

And I don't care what anyone says. If I kill a buck he isn't spreading his genes anymore that's a fact. Yes I know I cant tell what genes come from a doe, but guess what a big six point can breed multiple does. One of those big six points has been dominating the south end of our property for 3 or 4 years. I run a lot of trail cams and have pics of all these bucks for multiple seasons.

Mr.MainFrame10

Yeah all those bucks are 3 1/2 + easily. I guess many hunters just don't know how to age a bucks body. Either way, with time maybe they will figure it out.

On the other note, I won't get into the debate on culling deer because the theory and facts go way deep. With that being said, I personally believe by killing inferior mature bucks before the breeding season, it can at least help out on the bad genes. That doesn't mean that it cures or solves anything, but can certainly help. In my book, that is better than nothing.

I know everyone else has their own opinion as well, and that is fine. That is what makes us unique. Good luck to everyone this season!

nickel back

A lot of experts on here. These bucks are all at least 3.5 years or older.

Yall fell right into my trap. Except Pappy Hoel, unless he was being sarcastic.

And I don't care what anyone says. If I kill a buck he isn't spreading his genes anymore that's a fact. Yes I know I cant tell what genes come from a doe, but guess what a big six point can breed multiple does. One of those big six points has been dominating the south end of our property for 3 or 4 years. I run a lot of trail cams and have pics of all these bucks for multiple seasons.

good luck, I'm sure you know are should know that there is no way to cull wild deer. Here is some info you may want to read.

https://www.noble.org/news/publications/ag-news-and-views/2010/october/culling-bucks/

Many managers and hunters try to influence antler size by culling bucks. Culling is the intentional harvest of bucks with supposed inferior genetics for antler growth. Genetics is unquestionably important because many studies and deer farms have proven antler size can be increased through controlled breeding in pens. However, is culling bucks a practical management practice in a wild, free-ranging deer population? The Noble Research Institute wildlife staff does not believe it is appropriate in most free-ranging deer herds for the following reasons:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/culling-bucks-really-work
Increasing antler size on open land by culling is marginal at best, but it’s one method of removing additional animals, which always benefits both habitat and the inhabitants.

I have witnessed the positive effects of culling on confined herds on under 1,000 acres, but these herds are often provided a year- round supply of pelleted feed containing high amounts of crude protein, thus it’s hard to differentiate which had the greater impact on antler size, culling or the supplement.

The fact is if the correct genetic components occur in a deer herd, which they often do, all that is required is for the animal to age while benefitting from a nutritious diet on a consistent basis.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/deer-scouting/the-facts-and-truth-about-culling-bucks

Yall fell right into my trap

yep....

well here is a tip. Unless you are hunting inside high fenced property, what you want to do equals killing fire ants.

The older you believe those bucks are the more does they have already bred....with those 6 point genes.

good luck, you are going to need it....and you need lots of help from your friends who want to use their tags on 6 point bucks....for a while.

s&r

BassHunter25

Culls ha...... How do you know which does to cull? ! of those bucks bred with a doe form a 10 point father evens every thing out. Don't waste your time.

How would it be a waste of time? What if we kill the six points then a ten point breeds the doe from another 10 point? Wouldn't that be better? Assuming we like bigger racked bucks, which we do. Though some people say they don't care for them.

I hunt for older bucks. I almost never even kill more than one buck a year. My kids are old enough to hunt now and I would rather them kill some of these older bucks than the young 1 and 2 yr old 8 and 9 points.

I have managed the property for 7 years now and have a good feel for things. I have passed on a couple of these deer only to see them look the same or smaller the following season. And now then I see their offspring that look with racks identical to them. So if I can see those effects I should be able to see the opposite. The hard part is actually seeing them again now that they are older.

humdandy

Banned
How would it be a waste of time? What if we kill the six points then a ten point breeds the doe from another 10 point? Wouldn't that be better? Assuming we like bigger racked bucks, which we do. Though some people say they don't care for them.

I hunt for older bucks. I almost never even kill more than one buck a year. My kids are old enough to hunt now and I would rather them kill some of these older bucks than the young 1 and 2 yr old 8 and 9 points.

I have managed the property for 7 years now and have a good feel for things. I have passed on a couple of these deer only to see them look the same or smaller the following season. And now then I see their offspring that look with racks identical to them. So if I can see those effects I should be able to see the opposite. The hard part is actually seeing them again now that they are older.

These bucks have spread their genes for past 2 years.........and most likely this season........possibly more if they are 4 years old....

Kill them if you want.......but no way you are going to change the genetic make up of the deer in your area.....especially the number of 6 points you have running around!

BassHunter25

yep....

well here is a tip. Unless you are hunting inside high fenced property, what you want to do equals killing fire ants.

The older you believe those bucks are the more does they have already bred....with those 6 point genes.

good luck, you are going to need it....and you need lots of help from your friends who want to use their tags on 6 point bucks....for a while.

s&r

I know a lot of people who like to shoot deer!

And I dont' get the fire ants metaphor. Killing fire ants is easy.

We don't have a high fence, but we do have 1200 acres and have had great success seeing our deer stay on our property year round.

nickel back

facepalm:.....read the links I posted up, do some research.

if you still think you can do better than mother nature than have at it

BassHunter25

These bucks have spread their genes for past 2 years.........and most likely this season........possibly more if they are 4 years old....

Kill them if you want.......but no way you are going to change the genetic make up of the deer in your area.....especially the number of 6 points you have running around!

Maybe I should just take your word for it.:crazy: I never said I would rid the property of six points, but I believe I can lower the amount by killing the mature six points.

Does have a much smaller home range. If less mature six points are around to breed than mature 8's and 10's then you do the math?

How is this so hard to understand.

And if it doesn't Help.........Why is it a waste of time????
we still killed deer and filled the freezer.

Everyone acts like an expert on this, but I don't think they know what they are talking about. I am in the woods observing with my own eyes.